• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scottish Butchershop

I was talking to my mom yesterday and had mentioned that I huge craving for Black Pudding and she said she wasn't sure where you could actually buy it now since all of the butcher's have closed. The Auld Scottish Larder and it's other incarnation are gone, The Britannia in Surrey is gone, Laidlaw's closed 2 years ago, and don't even mentions Blacks. His Pudding is supplied by Freybe's and it's awful! ( I have told the guys at Freybe's this too, they never listen). So my hunt now begins.

Does anyone know of any British Butchershops/Bakeries that are left anywhere in the Lower Mainland? Yes, I am willing to drive anywhere, even if it means driving into Richmondjavascript:emoticon(':shock:') I'm also willing to go with a mail order source too. This is part of my heritage and I certainly can't loose it because so many in this city don't know good food when it bites on the assjavascript:emoticon(':angry:')

Tricia,

Up for a trip out to Burnaby??

Traditional Fayre and Meats

4022 Hastings Street

604-299-4912

They do haggis & black pudging and all that groovy stuff. A late co-worker of mine, born and raised in Glasgow, swore by the place.

A.

I know the place well Arne and sadly it is now closed. It used to be The Auld Scottish Larder and then it became Traditional Fayre. My mom went by last week and they closed up shop. It was the last place in the city that was on par with the old Inglereids. I am going to try the one in North Van this week. Hopefully he makes his own. :sad:

I know the place well Arne and sadly it is now closed.  It used to be The Auld Scottish Larder and then it became Traditional Fayre.  My mom went by last week and they closed up shop.  It was the last place in the city that was on par with the old Inglereids.  I am going to try the one in North Van this week.  Hopefully he makes his own.  :sad:

Damn! You know my neighbourhood better than I do! :hmmm: Let us know how North Van worked out.

A.

If you are willing to drive to Richmond, then go a little further and take the next ferry to Victoria.

You don't even need to come into town, but head straight to Brentwood Bay.

Ronald Orr & Son family Butcher is a Scottish Butcher, specializing in all the meat that ye can eat.

Black pud, haggis, etc, etc.

No need to look further. Just give them a call to confirm.

Ronald Orr, #6-7103 West Saanich, Brentwood Bay, 250-652-3751