• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tournedos Rossini, if you please.

Smoky "T"

I am making this for our 10th anniversary tomorrow. Easy enough but I've never had it before so would like to know the proper construction of the dish.

Am I assuming correctly that I should layer the foie gras either under or atop the filet, or is it served on the side?

I know, I know, it all ends up in the same place anyway but I'd like to know for the purity of the dish. Thanks.

check this out from our own favorite Israeli food critic, Daniel Rogov, who posts here frequently ... good discussion with layering directions for Tournedos Rossini!  :wink: and a very happy tenth anniversary to you!

Great artical GG thanks. Rossini and I have alot in commen. Their's nothing more fun to me then planning trips around food. Preferable local cusine.

And I spend ALOT of time here and there doing just that. With my husband's work we travel quite a bit.

PS. Admin's you may want to delete this post....I did post the same quarry in two diffferant topics as I needed a fast ansewer....sorry.

Bah four slices of fois gras. Triple that!

You should interpret classics in ways that make sense to you. The instructions ask you to prepare the Madeira sauce separately. I would do it in the pan. The instructions miss out an important step, degreasing! Dumping sauce into a pan full of grease is a terrible waste.

So, after sauteing the Tournedos, remove and set on a rack at room temperature. Not warm. Degrease the pan. Deglaze with Madeira and reduce a bit. Add demiglace (purchaseed and reconstituted a little) and reduce until sauce consistency. Forget cornstarch. Finish by stirring in a pat of butter.

I have a couple of issues with that recipe, over and above the omitting of the degreasing. Garlic really has no place in haute cuisine so I would leave that out. I would deglaze with stock, unless I could find a reference to flambeeing, add the demi, then when that was reduced enough, the Madeira, which is a fortified wine and not supposed to be boiled. Then finish with the butter. Oh, and I wonder what's up with the foie gras. Is it canned pate, or slices of fresh foie gras one lays apparently au naturel onto one's meat? I have a book called The Cuisine of The Belle Epoque, and I'm gonna go look this up right now.

I don't recall or do I think there is any garlic in this recipe. What's your point. :hmmm:

Skip up a couple of posts and go read the referenced recipe. I believe the word spelled "g-a-r-l-i-c" refers to garlic, three cloves, count them, three. Thinly sliced, and out of place.

• 1 month later...

I just wandered across this post. With regard to the use of garlic - apologies but if its use was acceptable to Casimir Moisson who is credited with first making the dish and is now acceptable to Guy Savoy and Alain Ducasse it's good enough for me as well.

I'll be the first to agree by the way that my classic recipes tend to follow the spirit of the inventor of the dish and then to incorporate some of the more modern additions/changes.

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

Put the foie on top of the tournados. It's similar to barding, by adding some fat to an otherwise dry cut of meat. And I didn't read the recipe but don't forget the truffles in the sauce.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

• 6 years later...