• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falernum: The Topic

gene@

The color is the least of my worries, as long as it tastes good. You should have seen that thing yesterday. We tried adding a shot of rum to improve it, but there was way too much falernum and the drink was not salvageable (add to the list of Cocktails that (should) end up in the sink).

It's a Bajan drink anyway, right?

I was wondering about that. It's a Caribbean drink for sure, but is it specific to Barbados?

I got hooked during a vacation in Saint Lucia. The local grocery store in Soufriere was lacking eggs or butter, but had plenty of Chairman's Reserve and falernum, and that's how I ended up making my first Corn n' Oil.

Corn n' Oil last night with a couple of ounces of Barbados Plantation 5 years, 1/4 ounces of homemade falernum, and a little squeeze of lime, on crushed ice. The falernum has mellowed out since I made it a few weeks ago; it has a very rich caramelized flavor - in summary, it's really delicious.

And 1/4 oz was plenty of falernum for me - with this recipe, it is very concentrated.

12826496234_38188d7888_z.jpg

Started a new batch of falernum today. My prized bottle of Lemon Hart 151 took a whole lot of time and a bit of negotiating to get my hands on. I'm very stingy with it because I have no idea when or if I'll ever have a chance to get my hands on another bottle. So there wasn't even the slightest chance any of it was going into the making of falernum. Replacing my bottle of W&N overproof may be a little easier to do but still not without difficulty... but I was willing to sacrifice enough to do a split between it and an 80 proof rum to get a 100-ish proof base.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 1 month later...

I discovered to my horror that I'm out of falernum. Given that limes cost what they do now, I'm considering going the Velvet route. What's the verdict on that versus homemade?

Comparatively bland, but serviceable. Sweet and clove-y, without a lot of depth. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Bollocks, to my even greater horror I just now realized I'm out of WNOP (I made an audible gasp when I checked my vice closet). Sounds like I need to get some of that, get some limes (also, my MicroPlane has disappeared  :angry: ). Given all that, is there any commercial stuff comparable to homemade?

Rafa's being kind.  My description of Velvet would be more like 'bloody awful'.

I see a shopping trip in your future.  W&N, limes, new Microplane ...  What recipe do you favour?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Comparatively bland, but serviceable. Sweet and clove-y, without a lot of depth. 

Reckon you could start with Taylor's as a base and boost the flavours with Nitro Cavitation?

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Haven't done Adam's - it's on the list - but KP's is great. His 'five minute' one tastes identical to his 'soak overnight' one.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

How important is it that the rum is overproof? In terms of reasonably-priced over-proof rums my options are Bundaberg and Inner Circle. Bacardi 151 is expensive. I've never had the overproof version of Bundaberg but I suspect it's considerably more restrained in terms of its flavour profile than IC Green.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

They make an overpriced single origin organic barrel version that's super smooth and I know it's super smooth because that's the official tasting note. Smooth! Of course it's a rum!

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

How important is it that the rum is overproof?

Speaking as a non-expert, I don't find it to be essential. My most recent batch was done with 100-ish proof but all batches I've done before that were done with 80 proof and, with the disclaimer that I had nothing to compare to, they turned out perfectly fine. I just increased both the amount of ingredients and infusion time a bit and added less syrup at the end. But I add less syrup to falernum and allspice dram than usually called for anyway. Maybe I wouldn't if I was using 151 but that's never been an available option unless I want to use Bacardi... which goes for $45 a bottle here.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I would say overproof is much more important than the color of the rum. If you want a Velvet-y creation, go for light, but if you don't care, use whatever. In any case if you put in the 40-50 cloves that most people recommend, even white rum will take on a decent bit of color.

Overproof on the other hand, will extract your infused ingredients better. I go for Wray & Nephew OP (white) or LH151 (dark). One note about using the WN, its signature funk will be noticeable in the final product, but that's no bad thing as far as I'm concerned  :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started a batch based on IC Green. Used the K.Penguin recipe.

Just completed the Kaiser P recipe, using Wray and Nephew, of course. I wasn't able to add ginger until about halfway through, but otherwise I followed the recipe to the letter.

It's nice* but I think the Elmegirab recipe is more interesting - it has a higher content of lime zest, and a wider array of spices. The lime is evident in the KP recipe, as are the cloves and especially the allspice, but really the most dominant flavor is the sugar. Perhaps the flavor will change after a couple days' settling.

*I still have not tried Taylor's Velvet Falernum, so I don't really know what my reference standard is.