• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home delivery in Seattle

I wrote Nancy Leson at the Seattle Times suggesting she write a column about the lack of delivery options in Seattle, or, if I'm mistaken, let me know what other options besides Chinese food or pizza there are. When I visit friends in San Francisco, Portland, or Vancouver, BC, I can get sushi, tacos, ribs, burgers, steaks, etc. delivered, and it seems like Seattle should have more than what I am aware of. Let me know if you know of any other places that deliver. Even if they don't deliver in my neighborhood (Wedgewood), let me know because I hope to move into a more food friendly neighborhood.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I also have a number of Thai and Indian options available in my neighborhood (Phinney/Greenlake); the problem is, none of them are good. I too wish there were more delivery options, but I've always assumed Seattle just doesn't have the density to make this profitable (which makes sense, then, that SF and Vancouver have many options. Portland, I'm not sure about).

Hmmm...I live in Ravenna and it says there's no service to this area. What areas are covered?

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Hmmm...I live in Ravenna and it says there's no service to this area.  What areas are covered?

ditto Maple Leaf.

the delivery options in this town just plain suck. i'm fortunate to at least have Snappy Dragon nearby, and there's a new Chinese contender up on Aurora i'm eager to try, but i've tried unsuccessfully for 4 years to figure out why this crucial fact of urban life is somehow lacking here.

any theories?

My assumption: We're largely a city of single family homes-a delivery service then has to drive far and wide, deal with traffic, etc just to be available to a moderate amount of customers. In a city like NY, SF, Vancouver, delivery services reach a lot more people without having to spend too much time on travel.