• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marjorie

A girlfriend and I finally checked out Marjorie last night. Of course many of you remember the space as Lush Life from before.

We arrived about 5:30 and were the first inside. Within minutes though the bar filled up. Happy hour goes until 7pm and $2 chicken tikka and pulled pork sandwiches were busy being passed around.

We had a few drinks from their hh menu. Both at $5 the margarita was good but short, the sangria was large but overly sweet. Mojitos and Red Stripe beers were also available.

The inside layout is great now, bar up front- bright colors. We asked to be seated for dinner, it was actually quite busy. There was a private party going on near the back.

We both opted for the prix fix menu for $25- chicken tikka or green salad, tri tip or 'ravioli' with four cheese, dessert choice.

We had a Lirac wine at a good price. The chicken tikka was good. 3 skewers, really juicy, nice semi spicy sauce on the side. The raviolis are like pitas, crisp on the outside filled with cheese and folded in quarters. On a tomato ragu. excellent and way too much we both brought some home. Dessert we had the kafir lime infused pot au chocolate- excellent. A few dessert drinks.

Donna is a great hostess, she came by and talked to us about our meal. I told her that I thought the menu actually read a bit boring but the food was really good. She said that is how she likes to do things! haha! She also said that she added the prix fix as she could never get on the 25 for $25 list. I think it is a permanent thing with the options probably changing now and then.

We left about 9:30 and it was still full, gets a bit loud but in a good way.

Darn it, I just realized I forgot to put SEA in the title! I'm sorry! :sad:

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

We were just talking about Marjorie at work this morning! I love this place. Donna is such a fantastic host. She makes everyone feel welcome. And who can complain about a place that lets you pick your own music to play on the turntable in the restroom........

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Um, I was there last night too! I'm sorry I didn't spot you, Wendy!

I've eaten at Marjorie I think 4 times in the last couple of months. Everyone there is so warm and gracious, and the place is so comfortable. Donna is a big music buff, so there's always excellent background music (and a turntable in the ladies restroom where one can play records!) The food is great (we had the sturgeon special and the roast chicken last night), there are a lot of really good wines to choose from, and the bartender makes excellent cocktails. I was delighted to see it so full last night.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Um, I was there last night too!  I'm sorry I didn't spot you, Wendy!

Me too! would have been great to say hi. I was with a girlfriend instead of the usual tall hunk :wub: and we were sitting near the back by the private party. Oh such a small world!! haha!

• 2 years later...

Thanks to a gc we won at our daughter's preschool auction, we finally got a chance to try Marjorie this weekend and weren't disappointed. With Matt Fortner now over at Tavolata, we're happy to report that the kitchen is in able hands with chef Fernando Martinez.

The atmosphere is very moorish with multi-colored silk pillows embellishing the ceiling, and though it seemed crowded while we waited for our reservation proprietor Donna Moodie managed to seemlessly tuck everyone in. The menu is eclectic with south asian and carribean influences, and seemed to have a little bit for everyone to enjoy.

We started with their signature Trenchtown cocktail (Appleton Estate Extra rum, ginger syrup and coconut water, fresh lime) and a Mandarin Martini while waiting for our Madras Curry Mussels and Kurobuta Country Pork Rib with Sweet Potato Fries. Our waitress tried to warn us that the sizes were large (small plates really...not appetizer portions), but so were our appetites and thank goodness there was enough to share! Though the plump and fragrant mussels had juices so well deserving of being soaked up with extra bread, instead we fought over and devoured the rich, sweet pork chasing it down with salty-sweet potato fries! :wub: So good we cleverly enquired whether we needed to return soon and frequently before it went off the menu but were relieved to find it's a favorite and not going anywhere soon. WHEW!!

We enjoyed a tri-tip with chive mashed potatoes, and the market fish -- cumin spiced and roasted Mahi-Mahi on a bed of puy lentils, both with bacon-sauteed vegetables (brussel sprouts, collards, baby carrots, shitakes). I just love a chef who attends to his vegetables as much as to the meat -- and there was lots of LOVE in those sides. Not a bite was left on our plates.

Of course we couldn't miss out on the desserts (how often do parents of young children get to eat out?? Not often!) My husband had a lovely banana-passion fruit sorbet -- three little scoops served atop a bit of shortbread; while I indulged in their banana cream tartlette -- served in a cocount laced crust that cut easily with a fork to scoop up the cream and bruleed bananas along with the (rum?) caramel sauce on my plate. (HEY! Eat your own dessert! Haven't we shared enough for one night?? :wink: )

As luck would have it, though we considered getting their cheese plate as an appetizer, and then for a dessert, we held off for other things....but then while we were awaiting our desserts, we were surprised by a visit from the chef bringing us a complimentary cheese plate because he had witnessed a slight service faux pas at our table. We had the fortune of sitting in line with the open door to the kitchen so we could watch the kitchen ballet during our dinner, and the chef could see us enjoying our meal as well. The chef noticed that a busser started to clear our plates as my husband was still finishing his last 2 bites, and did not want that service slip to affect our evening. I do admit, that we notice such things, but when the meal is as exemplary as the one we had, we always overlook such a little slip. It was extremely impressive to us, though, that the chef cares not just for the food but for the comfort and service of the guests...something that I know people have complained about with regard to seattle restaurants in the past.

My husband likes to linger over a latte after a filling repast, and even that detail wasn't overlooked as the coffee was smooth and aromatic, decorated with leafy coffee art.

With all that food plus a glass of wine with dinner, we only just managed to spend our $125 gift certificate. Delicious and reasonable -- we will definately be returning!

Luscious smell like love

Essential black milk worship

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate