• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Persian Dried Limes

The place I first came across Basra limes was in an Iraqi lamb stew. The limes are cooked with the meat before the other ingredients are added. It probably removes some of the less pleasant meat smells.

I have also had it as tea -- just break up a lime and steep it in hot water. Oddly enough, I had a similar thing at a Vietnamese restaurant once. I ordered something called "salty lemonde" and it turned out to taste exactly like cold dried-lime tea.

I've never bought them - I've just let some limes sit on my furnace until they sound hollow. The dill aroma and flavor was a big surprise. Can anyone comment on the difference between the store bought and the "homemade"? The ones from the store definitely look more uniform ... home dried look rather wrinkled and mottled in a way that some find unappealing. My friends, which are used to discovering oddites sitting around my kitchen - a bowl with an octopus in it, a three foot long chunk of taro shoot, etc - have commented on how gross they look, assuming that I had just forgot about them and they were rotting over on the radiator.

Rather fascinating that they don't mold. Does this have something to do with the acids? Why doesn't the same thing happen to lemons?

I've whacked them with a hammer to crack them a bit and then poured near boiling water over them to form an infusion of sorts. Also good with a few lightly mashed juniper berries thrown in. I sweeten it a bit and drink it warm or cold. Sometimes I splash in a hint of orange flower water.

I believe they're used in "lime rice." I believe they're just dropped in the water with the rice as it cooks.

Best,

rien

• 4 months later...

I like to use them in ghormeh sabsi. Just be sure to crack them open before dropping them in the pot.

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain