• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moods, weather and inspriation

OK, I'll admit it. I'm whining. It's been cool and cloudy and rainy for 20 of the past 21 days.

It is the season of fall, past fresh, local, wonderful tomatoes, sweet corn, green beans, lovely greens. At least here, it has been an odd year. It is not the season for the grill. The lack of sun, the abundance of rain has left me, and all of those that I know that love food, with the food doldrums. There is no excitement for the farmer's market.

Do you ever find yourself in this state? What do you do? I have a hard time believing that you bound out of bed every morning, evervescent, looking at what is present and saying "I'm inspired." Does weather play a part in your enthusaism?

???

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

OK, I'll admit it.  I'm whining.  It's been cool and cloudy and rainy for 20 of the past 21 days.

It is the season of fall, past fresh, local, wonderful tomatoes, sweet corn, green beans, lovely greens.  At least here, it has been an odd year.  It is not the season for the grill.  The lack of sun, the abundance of rain has left me, and all of those that I know that love food,  with the food doldrums.  There is no excitement for the farmer's market.

Do you ever find yourself in this state? What do you do?  I have a hard time believing that you bound out of bed every morning, evervescent, looking at what is present and saying "I'm inspired."  Does weather play a part in your enthusaism?

???

You are correct. I dont jump up everyday excited. Most days im very tired as like today. Its dreary, we are very busy, I left here at 12:30 am and I have been here since 8. So I am just like you. For me though, I love comfort foods and when it rains or is could, I find great joy cooking these items. So it almost always perks me up. Plus when food gets like this, I can make it a bit spicier and use more root vegetables and squashes, which I love. Also, white truffles are arriving and they are so sensual, it makes the day go very fast. Also, its almost Black Truffle season. I cant wait.

OK, I'll admit it.  I'm whining.  It's been cool and cloudy and rainy for 20 of the past 21 days.

It is the season of fall, past fresh, local, wonderful tomatoes, sweet corn, green beans, lovely greens.  At least here, it has been an odd year.  It is not the season for the grill.  The lack of sun, the abundance of rain has left me, and all of those that I know that love food,  with the food doldrums.  There is no excitement for the farmer's market.

Do you ever find yourself in this state? What do you do?  I have a hard time believing that you bound out of bed every morning, evervescent, looking at what is present and saying "I'm inspired."  Does weather play a part in your enthusaism?

???

You are correct. I dont jump up everyday excited. Most days im very tired as like today. Its dreary, we are very busy, I left here at 12:30 am and I have been here since 8. So I am just like you. For me though, I love comfort foods and when it rains or is could, I find great joy cooking these items. So it almost always perks me up. Plus when food gets like this, I can make it a bit spicier and use more root vegetables and squashes, which I love. Also, white truffles are arriving and they are so sensual, it makes the day go very fast. Also, its almost Black Truffle season. I cant wait.

Weather everywhere seems to have been odd around the US this summer. For us it is still too much summer. I am longing for the luxury of heating up the kitchen with comfort foods -- braising, roasting, stewing, souping my way through the week. Even baking the bread I have been craving is not the comfort I want it to be when the heat and humidity just go on and on.

Enough of my interminable summer whine! :raz:

What I want to know, considering this is Halloween weekend and the lovelies are on my mind, do you make much use of pumpkin in your daily menus at this time of year? In soups, other savory dishes? Sweets?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

???

Weather everywhere seems to have been odd around the US this summer. For us it is still too much summer. I am longing for the luxury of heating up the kitchen with comfort foods -- braising, roasting, stewing, souping my way through the week. Even baking the bread I have been craving is not the comfort I want it to be when the heat and humidity just go on and on.

Enough of my interminable summer whine! :raz:

What I want to know, considering this is Halloween weekend and the lovelies are on my mind, do you make much use of pumpkin in your daily menus at this time of year? In soups, other savory dishes? Sweets?

I enjoy pumpkin alot. Soups, gnocchi, under foie gras with lamb as a sauce, foie panna cotta with prawn salad etc. Its a very versatile item and can be used many ways