• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

my birthdays comin up

so the wife's taken me out for dinner for my 31st in a couple of weeks. im thinkin about going somewhere i haven't had the pleasure of trying yet.

i've ate at and loved park kitchen and clarklewis. i've done paley's place. not interested in el gaucho.

what are some suggestions? i've thought about fife or lauro. what do you portlanders think?

thanks in advance. and if you all want to chip in to buy me a slow cooker, i wouldn't object.

Edited by hollis (log)

While I obviously like both Lauro and Fife, I think Lauro has more potential for a celebratory dinner. Other good choices include Higgins, Carafe, Tabla, or Navarre.

Happy Birthday (and if you don't get that new slow cooker, hit a few garage sales and you'll find a crockpot).

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I'd agree with Tabla too. They were great. When you have a table full of foodies and there's silence & awe at the table, you know it's a good thing.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I add my support for Lauro (although all of the other recs are great too)...

If you enjoy dessert at all, Pix is literally right across the street. It's a really nice place, open late, and could be a great end to a birthday dinner at Lauro.

Have an awesome birthday!

:smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

He selected Navarre...we are going.

What is the sitch with no reservations in Portland? I mean, I get it for some places but for others, it just seems like a snotty reaction to the reality that their restaurant is busy and may need some organization on certain nights. One hour waits for dinner when your bar or outdoor seating can't handle it and you aren't close to a decent bar...well, it sucks.

I've heard the no reservation policy blamed on "no shows". Especially big parties who book 2 restaurants so they can decide at the last minute which one to go to and never cancel the other.

I doubt Portland would stand for credit card guarantees, but might be worth it. We tend not to go to the no res. places with guests or on the weekend. Don't think they miss us much.