• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite Japanese food products

torakris

I think that most of the pine nuts available in Japan are imports from China, as I confirmed from several sites like these (all in Japanese only):

http://www.oishi-mise.com/matunomi.htm

https://s112.secure.ne.jp/~s112059/shop/ind...?goods=matunomi

http://www.yamyamhompo.com/kinomi-p/matsu.htm

All the pine nuts shown in the links are imports from China.

What do you think?

I recall the pine nuts in the package being much shorter than the ones in the pictures (which look like the ones I buy here). On the other hand, maybe they were just regular pine nuts cut in half--will have to check next time . . . . :hmmm:

• 1 month later...

This is one of my new favorites

gallery_6134_549_1104975801.jpg

goma tonkatsu sauce

tonkatsu sauce with sesame seeds in it, I use it on anything that had been panko'd and deep fried.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

This is one of my new favorites

goma tonkatsu sauce

tonkatsu sauce with sesame seeds in it, I use it on anything that had been panko'd and deep fried.

Yum...

this reminds me of a tonkatsu restaurant (chain) I went to in Kyoto, where we were given suribachi to grind up some sesame seeds, then added our tonkatsu sauce to it.... I bought a suribachi when I got home just to be able to do this myself :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

I love kimchi but am often disappointed with Japanese versions....

I have tried almost every one I have run across and have found very few I go back for a second time, that has changed! :biggrin:

The other day I picked up Gyukaku's kimchi (Gyukaku is a very famous yakiniku chain in Japan), I have avoided this one for a while because it was a "restaurant" brand and I guess I just assumed it wouldn't be very good...

I was way off, this is the best kimchi I have gotten from a supermarket, most Japanese brands have very little heat but this one was perfect and it had this sweetness that counteracted the spiciness perfectly. I am definitely going back for more!!

gallery_6134_549_25605.jpg

this is for sale in most supermarkets in my area. I am not sure about the rest of the country, I have never seen it for sale at the restaurants.

Well, that was interesting! We tried the Gyukaku kimchi too (in fact, I was forced to buy that one, because everything else had been taken off the shelf :hmmm: ). DH still prefers his "direct import" Kankoku-kimchi in the 400g jar...just enough to get a guy through the weekend! (No details on the label, and can't find a photo online - the type with the girl in Korean dress on the lid!).

However, Gyukaku must definitely be one of the better Japanese brands.

• 1 year later...

The Japanese aren't big users of tomato paste so for years I have been buying tubes of Amore double concentrate on trips to the US. Two months ago I discovered a wonderful tomato paste put out by the big tomato product company here, Kagome. The paste comes in 1 tablespoon (well 18g) packs, 6 or so packs to a box at about 120 yen (US$1). Cheaper than the tube, more expensive than the can but there is no waste and it is incredibly easy to use. The packs look like this:

gallery_6134_4148_424415.jpg

I like those tomato paste packets too. very handy.

tip for making nori shreds: if you have a pasta machine you can make mountains of shreds very quickly.

I really love one particular brand or kurozato (brown sugar). it says UENO kurozato on the package. It seems to be sold everywhere in kansai, I uusally eat it with oatmeal.

• 3 months later...

A new product from S&B

gallery_6134_4148_616042.jpg

Yuzu-wasabi!

This stuff is great! The yuzu flavor and smell is about as "real" as you can get and the wasabi is tamed down a bit so you can use quite a bit of this stuff with out the nose pinching heat.

I used it with this Pork and Cucumber Wasabi Salad and don't think I will ever go back to just regular wasabi again.