• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Coke Trafficking

Jason Perlow

• 3 weeks later...
Mexicans seem to really like Grapefruit in soft drinks. In addition to Fresca, they've got Jarritos Toronja -- which is also pretty good. I also think Squirt, which is traditionally a Lemon/Lime flavor, has some Grapefruit in the Mexican version. Mexican Squirt is also a pretty kickass soda in and of itself.

In Mexico, there's not only regular Fresca but also red grapefruit Fresca (as opposed to white; I think it's a relatively new/less common product). Two more Mexican grapefruit sodas I can think of are Kas (made by either Coke or Pepsi) and Penafiel. My favorite is the Penafiel, which I find to be less sweet than the others (although I haven't tried Kas). Haven't found any of these in the US, though.

I also think Squirt, which is traditionally a Lemon/Lime flavor, has some Grapefruit in the Mexican version.

Squirt in the US *used* to be grapefruit soda IIRC. It even had bits of pulp in it. It's now in the Cadbury-Schweppes owned Dr. Pepper/7-Up stable of brands that are, at least on the East Coast, rather poorly distributed- I don't see it (or many of their other brands) in New Jersey.

From the website, it looks like they might be using the name for flavors, much like all the other soda brands (Citrus Burst? Might still be grapefruit, but why not say it? They don't even MENTION grapefruit until the last 2 sentences)- http://www.dpsu.com/squirt.html

Don't know what it's like- I know the Vernor's I've had from C-S is pretty bland compared to the old stuff licensed out of Detroit. ( Which I used to only find in Pennsylvania, even tho' the cans came from a bottler in Asbury Park, NJ- go figure).

I also think Squirt, which is traditionally a Lemon/Lime flavor, has some Grapefruit in the Mexican version.

Squirt in the US *used* to be grapefruit soda IIRC. It even had bits of pulp in it. It's now in the Cadbury-Schweppes owned Dr. Pepper/7-Up stable of brands that are, at least on the East Coast, rather poorly distributed- I don't see it (or many of their other brands) in New Jersey.

The Mexican Squirt I can get at local NJ bodegas in Bergenfield and Englewood no problem. I think it might be a grapefruit flavor or some combination with lemon and lime.

Jason Perlow

Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | View my food photos on Instagram

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just picked up three 2-liter bottles for $ .99 each at the Seven Mile Market(Jewish) in Pikesville, MD. They had a ton of it. I also found Mexican Coke in my local Latin Market for $1.05 per 16 oz glass bottle. This Latin Market is on Rt. 2 in Glen Burnie.

Don't know where you're located Guy, but most of the Giant stores in D.C./Va./Md. (and other stores too) have the yellow-capped Passover Coke. I think it was on sale last week (or maybe is now) at Giant for 79 cents for 2 liters.

Bigger cities may have the Passover Coke in six-pack cans (12oz.).

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

• 1 year later...

This weekend I finally tried a Mexican coke made with the "old-fashioned" (i.e. pre-1980) sugar cane syrup instead of corn syrup. I thought it was great tasting and I usually only drink Diet Coke because I find regular (corn syrup) Coke too sweet and cloying. I haven't tasted corn syrup Coke except from a fountain in awhile so it would be interesting to do a real side by side taste test with bottled cokes. But--the taste and thick glass bottle really reminded me of the Coke I used to love as a kid in the 70's. All I needed was a straw to complete the vignette. It had a nice crisp, refreshing taste and was much less sweet.

Reviving these thread may also be timely since Passover is just starting. (See earlier posts for discussion of the use of cane rather than corn syrup in Passover coke.)

I wish there was some way to get cane syrup Coke more frequently and easily.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

We are fortunate in that it is readily available in this area due to the demographic here. Unfortunately, it can be expensive as well. I am ashamed to admit, but I spent 1.19 on the 12z the other day.

Am planning to surprise my stepdaughter with some "real" Cocola soon in the little 6z bottles. She's old enough to both remember it, and miss it.

It fizzes up the nose like nothing else. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The last time I was there, my local Costco was selling a 24-pack of bottled Mexcian Coke "made with cane sugar" for $17.99. They weren't the huge Coke bottles but on the other hand they weren't the dinky bottles either. A little pricey per 6-pack but people were buying them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sam's Club here has them by the case.

Interesting. I pass right by the soda section at Sam's without looking since their prices are easy to beat elsewhere.

Coca Cola de Mexico is widely available here year round at taquerias and even taco trucks and at numerous supermarket chains including Food Town, Fiesta, and even SuperWalmart. I've seen it from $.79 to .83 per 12 oz at the latter.

I'm not that fond of it, though. Now the Dublin Dr. Pepper with real cane sugar, that's great.

Interesting. I pass right by the soda section at Sam's without looking since their prices are easy to beat elsewhere.

Coca Cola de Mexico is widely available here year round at taquerias and even taco trucks and at numerous supermarket chains including Food Town, Fiesta, and even SuperWalmart. I've seen it from $.79 to .83 per 12 oz at the latter.

I'm not that fond of it, though. Now the Dublin Dr. Pepper with real cane sugar, that's great.

I just buy water there. I buy the occassional Mexican Coke or a Jarritos at my corner store. Ill have to try the Dublin DP, where do you get it?

I've encountered it at a few eateries but I can't recall any specific ones other than Prasek's in Hillje, south of El Campo - a little far! Maybe Christian's Tailgate on Washington? However it's usually in stock at Spec's downtown, by the six pack or singly. You can also get it by mail order from the Dublin plant and I think I calculated it'd be cheaper that way, but I prefer to get it just occasionally. These are the 7-8oz size bottles.

Spec's has a good selection of real cane sugar beverages from all over.

Jarritos is good, too.

I just buy water there. I buy the occassional Mexican Coke or a Jarritos at my corner store. Ill have to try the Dublin DP, where do you get it?

You should be able to fin Dublin DP at Central Market in Houston. They carry in the stores up here in the Dallas area. Not sure if Tom Thumb is down there, but I know their sister (brother??) Randall's is. Here in Dallas, I've seen it at Tom Thumb stores (slightly cheaper than CM), so it wouldn't surprise me to see it at a Randall's

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• Similar Content

• By cyalexa
      Salsa Para Enchiladas  
      3 ancho chiles
      2 New Mexico chiles
      2 chipotle chiles
      1 clove garlic, sliced
      2 TB flour
      2 TB vegetable oil
      1 tsp vinegar
      ¾ tsp salt
      ¼ tsp dried oregano
      2 cups broth, stock, or (filtered) chili soaking liquid
      Rinse, stem and seed chiles. Place in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat and let soften and cool. While the chiles are cooling, gently sauté garlic slices in oil until they are soft and golden brown. Remove the garlic from the oil, with a slotted spoon and reserve. Make a light roux by adding the flour to the oil and sautéing briefly. Drain the chilies and puree them with the garlic slices and half of the liquid. Strain the puree back into the saucepan. Pour the remainder of the liquid through the sieve to loosen any remaining chili pulp. Add the roux to the saucepan and whisk to blend. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan, bring to a boil then and simmer 15-20 minutes. Taste and add additional salt and vinegar if necessary.
    • By gulfporter
      Grilled fish recipe from Mexico. 

Pescado Zarendeado

4 large dried ancho chiles 2 dried chiles de arból (omit if you prefer a milder sauce) ½ small onion, chopped 8 ounces canned tomato sauce 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced 3 tablespoons Ponzu sauce (or substitute ½ soy sauce, ½ lime juice) 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce ½ teaspoon salt ½ cup mayonnaise 2 kilos Pargo blanco or red snapper (huachinango) one 2-kilo fish or two 1-kilo fish. Butterflied from the belly out.  Remove and discard the stems and seeds from chiles. Place the chiles in a bowl and cover completely with boiling water and then soak for 40 minutes.
      Remove the chiles and place in a food processor with ½ cup of the soaking liquid, the onion, tomato sauce, garlic, Ponzu, Worcestershire and the salt. Process until very smooth. Sieve the mixture into a bowl, then add the mayonnaise and blend.
      Set aside 2/3 cup of the blended sauce to serve with the cooked fish. The rest will be used to prepare the fish for the grill.
      Slather the flesh-side of the fish with the sauce and then place, skin-side down on a hot charcoal or gas grill. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the fish. (About 15 minutes for a one-kilo snapper on my gas grill at medium-high, lid closed).
      Place cooked fish on a large platter; use a spoon to remove the flesh.
      Serve with fresh tortillas and pickled onions. Pass the reserved sauce.
      Pickled Red Onions
      Thinly slice a medium red onion into a glass bowl, toss with the juice of a large lime, one or two finely minced serrano chiles and ¼ teaspoon salt. Best if marinated overnight in the fridge.
    • By Kasia
      My quesadilla

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a dish which meets holiday requirements. It is easy, and it doesn't need sophisticated ingredients or an oven. A frying pan is enough. Quesadilla, the dish in question, is a tortilla with melted cheese. The rest of the ingredients you choose at your discretion. Red beans, pepper, chorizo or fried meat all work brilliantly. I added fried pieces of turkey leg. Thanks to this, my dish could be a holiday dinner.

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      4 tortillas
      300g of turkey leg
      half a chili pepper
      half an onion
      1 clove of garlic
      2 tablespoons of oil
      200g of tinned sweetcorn
      200g of tinned red beans
      fresh pepper
      200g of mozzarella cheese
      salt and pepper

Cube the meat. Fry the diced onion, garlic and chili pepper in oil. Add the spiced-up-with-salt-and-pepper meat and fry on a low heat until the meat is soft. Cube the pepper. Drain the sweetcorn and red beans and slice the mozzarella cheese. Put the tortilla into a dry, heated pan. Arrange the meat, sweetcorn and red beans on it. Cover with the slices of the mozzarella cheese and the second tortilla. Fry on a low heat for a while. Turn it and fry a bit more until the cheese has melted. Put it on a plate and cut it into triangles.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Pierogi
      Mexican Rice
      Serves 4 as Side.

1 T olive oil
      1 small onion, finely chopped
      2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
      1-1/2 c long-grain rice
      3 c low-salt chicken broth or stock
      2 med-size tomatoes (about 12 oz total), chopped
      1 can (4&1/2 oz) chopped green chilies
      1 tsp chili powder
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp pepper
      1/2 c fresh chopped cilantro
      1/2 c pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced

Heat oil in 4-quart saucepan over med-high heat until hot. (Make sure you use a large enough pot, I tried to make it fit into a 3&1/2 quart pot and it was very tight). Add onion & garlic, cook until soft. Add rice, and stir well, cook, stirring occasionally, until rice toasts a bit and turns golden, about 3-5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, chiles, chili powder, and S&P. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is done, about 25 min. You may have some liquid still left.
      Turn off heat and stir in cilantro and olives, Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
      Keywords: Side, Rice, Mexican, Easy
      ( RG2089 )
    • By chardgirl
      Greens Tacos
      I like to make these for breakfast or lunch: I try to eat dark leafy greens most days one way or another.

3/4 lb greens, cleaned well and sliced into approximate 1 inch pieces (today I used arugula and radish greens, leaving the radish ‘roots' in the fridge to be munched on later. the greens are good to eat, but
      2 tsp cooking oil
      2 stalks green garlic, cleaned as a leek and chopped, or another allium family, whatever you have on hand (onion, green onion, garlic, leek.....)

Pinch red pepper flakes or cayenne
      2 T cream cheese
      4 small corn tortillas or 2-3 larger flour ones

Heat the oil and add the garlic, having the greens ready to go, and cook garlic for about 30 seconds. Then add greens and cook until bright green and wilted, add red pepper (and salt and black pepper if you like). Take off heat and stir in cream cheese. Heat tortillas, divide filling among them. Eat and enjoy.
      Keywords: Vegetables, Easy, Vegetarian
      ( RG1521 )