• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Coke Trafficking

Jason Perlow

El Paso in Englewood on Palisade Ave.

Mexican Coke does rock. If it came in 16oz glass bottles it would rock even more.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 weeks later...
Mexicans seem to really like Grapefruit in soft drinks. In addition to Fresca, they've got Jarritos Toronja -- which is also pretty good. I also think Squirt, which is traditionally a Lemon/Lime flavor, has some Grapefruit in the Mexican version. Mexican Squirt is also a pretty kickass soda in and of itself.

In Mexico, there's not only regular Fresca but also red grapefruit Fresca (as opposed to white; I think it's a relatively new/less common product). Two more Mexican grapefruit sodas I can think of are Kas (made by either Coke or Pepsi) and Penafiel. My favorite is the Penafiel, which I find to be less sweet than the others (although I haven't tried Kas). Haven't found any of these in the US, though.

I also think Squirt, which is traditionally a Lemon/Lime flavor, has some Grapefruit in the Mexican version.

Squirt in the US *used* to be grapefruit soda IIRC. It even had bits of pulp in it. It's now in the Cadbury-Schweppes owned Dr. Pepper/7-Up stable of brands that are, at least on the East Coast, rather poorly distributed- I don't see it (or many of their other brands) in New Jersey.

From the website, it looks like they might be using the name for flavors, much like all the other soda brands (Citrus Burst? Might still be grapefruit, but why not say it? They don't even MENTION grapefruit until the last 2 sentences)- http://www.dpsu.com/squirt.html

Don't know what it's like- I know the Vernor's I've had from C-S is pretty bland compared to the old stuff licensed out of Detroit. ( Which I used to only find in Pennsylvania, even tho' the cans came from a bottler in Asbury Park, NJ- go figure).

I also think Squirt, which is traditionally a Lemon/Lime flavor, has some Grapefruit in the Mexican version.

Squirt in the US *used* to be grapefruit soda IIRC. It even had bits of pulp in it. It's now in the Cadbury-Schweppes owned Dr. Pepper/7-Up stable of brands that are, at least on the East Coast, rather poorly distributed- I don't see it (or many of their other brands) in New Jersey.

The Mexican Squirt I can get at local NJ bodegas in Bergenfield and Englewood no problem. I think it might be a grapefruit flavor or some combination with lemon and lime.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just picked up three 2-liter bottles for $ .99 each at the Seven Mile Market(Jewish) in Pikesville, MD. They had a ton of it. I also found Mexican Coke in my local Latin Market for $1.05 per 16 oz glass bottle. This Latin Market is on Rt. 2 in Glen Burnie.

Don't know where you're located Guy, but most of the Giant stores in D.C./Va./Md. (and other stores too) have the yellow-capped Passover Coke. I think it was on sale last week (or maybe is now) at Giant for 79 cents for 2 liters.

Bigger cities may have the Passover Coke in six-pack cans (12oz.).

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

• 1 year later...

This weekend I finally tried a Mexican coke made with the "old-fashioned" (i.e. pre-1980) sugar cane syrup instead of corn syrup. I thought it was great tasting and I usually only drink Diet Coke because I find regular (corn syrup) Coke too sweet and cloying. I haven't tasted corn syrup Coke except from a fountain in awhile so it would be interesting to do a real side by side taste test with bottled cokes. But--the taste and thick glass bottle really reminded me of the Coke I used to love as a kid in the 70's. All I needed was a straw to complete the vignette. It had a nice crisp, refreshing taste and was much less sweet.

Reviving these thread may also be timely since Passover is just starting. (See earlier posts for discussion of the use of cane rather than corn syrup in Passover coke.)

I wish there was some way to get cane syrup Coke more frequently and easily.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

We are fortunate in that it is readily available in this area due to the demographic here. Unfortunately, it can be expensive as well. I am ashamed to admit, but I spent 1.19 on the 12z the other day.

Am planning to surprise my stepdaughter with some "real" Cocola soon in the little 6z bottles. She's old enough to both remember it, and miss it.

It fizzes up the nose like nothing else. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The last time I was there, my local Costco was selling a 24-pack of bottled Mexcian Coke "made with cane sugar" for $17.99. They weren't the huge Coke bottles but on the other hand they weren't the dinky bottles either. A little pricey per 6-pack but people were buying them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sam's Club here has them by the case.

Interesting. I pass right by the soda section at Sam's without looking since their prices are easy to beat elsewhere.

Coca Cola de Mexico is widely available here year round at taquerias and even taco trucks and at numerous supermarket chains including Food Town, Fiesta, and even SuperWalmart. I've seen it from $.79 to .83 per 12 oz at the latter.

I'm not that fond of it, though. Now the Dublin Dr. Pepper with real cane sugar, that's great.

Interesting. I pass right by the soda section at Sam's without looking since their prices are easy to beat elsewhere.

Coca Cola de Mexico is widely available here year round at taquerias and even taco trucks and at numerous supermarket chains including Food Town, Fiesta, and even SuperWalmart. I've seen it from $.79 to .83 per 12 oz at the latter.

I'm not that fond of it, though. Now the Dublin Dr. Pepper with real cane sugar, that's great.

I just buy water there. I buy the occassional Mexican Coke or a Jarritos at my corner store. Ill have to try the Dublin DP, where do you get it?

I've encountered it at a few eateries but I can't recall any specific ones other than Prasek's in Hillje, south of El Campo - a little far! Maybe Christian's Tailgate on Washington? However it's usually in stock at Spec's downtown, by the six pack or singly. You can also get it by mail order from the Dublin plant and I think I calculated it'd be cheaper that way, but I prefer to get it just occasionally. These are the 7-8oz size bottles.

Spec's has a good selection of real cane sugar beverages from all over.

Jarritos is good, too.

I just buy water there. I buy the occassional Mexican Coke or a Jarritos at my corner store. Ill have to try the Dublin DP, where do you get it?

You should be able to fin Dublin DP at Central Market in Houston. They carry in the stores up here in the Dallas area. Not sure if Tom Thumb is down there, but I know their sister (brother??) Randall's is. Here in Dallas, I've seen it at Tom Thumb stores (slightly cheaper than CM), so it wouldn't surprise me to see it at a Randall's

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"