• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutella.......mmmm, Nutella

mkfradin

When I was in college many moons ago, we used to have Nutella on one slice of bread, Marshmallow Fluff on another, then stick it in the toaster oven for a bit for makeshift s'mores. This was common practice until I OD'd on it one lonely Valentine's Day. It took many years before I could even look at a jar without holding my stomach. :laugh:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

When I think of Nutella I think of the fresh, warm crepes on the streets of Paris filled with Nutella and sliced bananas…fantastic!

Also, I have a friend who sticks a whole (peeled) banana on a plate, microwaves it until it’s soft and heated through, then just globs Nutella all over it; saves having to make the crepes.

Exactly - crepes Nutella! Heavenly. When I was in Paris and poor, I would eat one of these, and it was a day's worth of meals.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I have a recipe for Triple Hazelnut Cheesecake that I absolutely love.  The original recipe is from Cooking Light, but I changed it to an allfat version and it's mighty decadent and sinfully delicious  :rolleyes: 

How could you possibly write something like that and not post the recipe?!??!?!?! How cruel! :angry::biggrin: I should add, before the moderator does, that if you do post the recipe, someone might tell you to put it in recipeGullet and then link to it. But I'd be willing to take it anywhere in any form!

(it was the

I changed it to an allfat version
that really peaked my interest!)

I hesitate to post this here because it's over but I think you all have the right to know - there was a temporary Nutella restaurant here in Paris earlier this year. It was open for only 40 days - to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Nutella - and to raise money for charity. It was quite simply Nutella heaven. I have a post about it on my blog - La Table Nutella - with a photo of a Nutella custard served in a egg shell - with a long, dense, dark chocolate cookie for spooning. And I do have the Nutella cookbook by Philippe Conticini - I highly recommend - especially to Nutella fans. On the cover are his Nutella version of his signature chocolate croquettes. You're meant to pop them in your mouth whole and warm - releasing a rush of warm chocolate and Nutella.

I spoke with the Ferrara reps at the Candy Expo in Chicago this summer - and sadly they have little interest in widely promoting Nutella in the US.

Nutella is fantastic with mascarpone "cream".

500g mascarpone

100g white sugar

2 eggs

Mix egg yolks with sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy.

Add mascarpone and mix well with a wooden spoon.

Beat egg whites until fluffy and add to mascarpone mix. Stir gently.

In an individual bowl set a Tsp of nutella (or more), cover with mascarpone cream.

Serve with a butter cake, or butter bisquits, or danish pastry... or nothing :smile:

• 8 months later...

I just tried a recipe that I saw Giada DiLaurentiis make a few weeks back...

You put about a small dollop of Nutella in the middle of a wonton skin. Fold it over and fry until each side is lightly browned. Drain them on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar...YUMMY!

I just tried a recipe that I saw Giada DiLaurentiis make a few weeks back...

You put about a small dollop of Nutella in the middle of a wonton skin.  Fold it over and fry until each side is lightly browned.  Drain them on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar...YUMMY!

Oh Yum!!! :raz:

Just a simple southern lady lost out west...

"Leave Mother in the fridge in a covered jar between bakes. No need to feed her." Jackal10

Kris, they are good!

My kids like nutella and peanut butter sandwiches.

I also spread it on poundcake slices, top with sliced strawberries, and grill on the panini grill. Awesome!

I haven't read the thread linked above, which might mention it, but if you like nutella you'll like the gianduja spread made by Guido Gubbino imported by Zingerman's.

If you're one of the ones who does a jar or two of Nutella a year, it might be worth the splurge.

I was eating Nutella every day during a recent trip to Italy -- they provide it in the hotel breakfast rooms everywhere in a little packet much like jelly is served up here. Got quite addicted. But hated it when I got back home -- the imported version is pumped full of a lot more chemicals than the European version.

I recommend either buying it at an import store, or getting the primo stuff from Zingerman's. The difference is remarkable. You'll probably combust and leave burned shoes behind.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

oooh i havnt seen anyone post a Bananas Foster with warm nutella sauce...ahhhhhhh :wub: melt half a stick of butter and two to three tablespoons of sugar, don't caramelize just melt together. add banana slices, three tablespoons of Nutella and a splash of Frangelico. As soon as all the Nutella melts away stir until well blended and pour over a generous serving of vanilla ice cream. and toss some hazelnut pralines on top..........omg heaven :wub:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

• 5 years later...

Cream, Nutella and a little sugar... whipped. Works nice with many things banana.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

OK. I don't understand the love of Nutella. I love Gianduja. Even in Milk Chocolate. Like many others who have confessed...I shaved it off the block to eat. I love nuts and chocolate together.

But Nutella?

DH and I tried it a couple of years ago and gave it away right away. I think it tastes pretty awful. Sorry.

Is there anyone else out there who doesn't like the taste?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

OK. I don't understand the love of Nutella. I love Gianduja. Even in Milk Chocolate. Like many others who have confessed...I shaved it off the block to eat. I love nuts and chocolate together.

But Nutella?

DH and I tried it a couple of years ago and gave it away right away. I think it tastes pretty awful. Sorry.

Yeah, me. For the same reason I don't like peanut butter, the texture.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I love Nutella, but after gastric bypass, it doesnt love me except when my sugar is crashing, then its my buddy. I take a few tablespoons of Chocolate PB2 powder, mix in SF Hazelnut syrup and a bit of heavy cream, beat the devil out of it, and it is a pretty close cousin to Nutella. Of course, sometimes only the real thing will do and is worth feeling a bit wonky for awhile, so I utilize a spoon and a banana at that time lol.

But Nutella?

Yeah, me. For the same reason I don't like peanut butter, the texture.

Me three. It's not all it's cracked up to be. My kids don't even like it.