• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutella.......mmmm, Nutella

mkfradin

But do you have any idea what is right for that recipe?  I know all recipes are different, but perhaps there is a gerenal rule of thumb based on the other ingredients.  Should I have used 200 grams or 7 Tbls?  I'm leaning toward the 7 Tbls, since 200 grams seemed like way too much.  There's obviously a typo somewhere;  I'm just curious if anyone has the correct recipe or can offer an opinion as to which measurement to use.

In his cookbook he calls for "7 tablespoons (3 1/2 ounces; 200 grams) unsalted butter". Since 7 tablespoons = 3.5 oz, I'd go with that. Seems reasonable given the amount of chocolate and Nutella. Although some eGulleters would no doubt err on the side of more butter! :laugh:

allison

In his cookbook he calls for "7 tablespoons (3 1/2 ounces; 200 grams) unsalted butter". Since 7 tablespoons = 3.5 oz, I'd go with that. Seems reasonable given the amount of chocolate and Nutella. Although some eGulleters would no doubt err on the side of more butter!  :laugh:

Me for example :smile:.

When I made the Nutella tart, being the lazy, metric units using person I am, I used 200 grams of butter, as the book said. It did seem like loads of butter to add, and it took me quite a while to get it incorporated in the ganache but it eventually worked. Just fine at the end, flavour-wise. Actually more than fine, judging from the time it took the party guest I baked it for to finish the thing.

amyd, thanks for pointing out what looks like a print mistake. It gives me just the excuse I was looking for to bake the Nutella tart again :biggrin:

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

have you tried Nougatina? its made by Cuba Venchi and is a darker chocolatier version of nutella. its truly amazing. i have had a hard time finding it but it is carried by zingerman of AnnArbor Mich. If anyone has other internet sources id appreciate it

Howdy Everyone!

Has anyone else tried making their own chocolate-hazelnut spread? I tried one of the recipes at the link Gifted Gourmet posted. It was very simple, very affordable, and had a taste and texture very similar to the real deal. I think this recipe is more hazelnutty, though, maybe because the hazelnuts are roasted pretty dark.

The recipe I used was:

Chocolate Hazelnut Spread

There is a second recipe at that site I want to try as well, which uses cream as opposed to sweetened condensed milk: Nutella

Anyone know of any other chocolate-hazelnut spread recipes?

To address the original question of the thread -- I like the combination of Nutella and puff pastry: I made some nutella turnovers that were tasty.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

i hardly ever crave or eat chocolate unless it involves nutella.

if you're the lazy/hearty/i want it fast type, make a nutella panini on thick brioche. get the outside toasty and make sure the inside stays soft and runny.

if you're the cooking as an all-day project/refined pastry type, sub nutella for half of the chocolate in a chocolate souffle recipe.

re: making your own nutella, it's actually not so easy to make a facsimile that's as satisfying. maybe it's psychological, but eating it out of a jar and knowing that it's a mass-produced, bad-for-you convenience food is partly what it makes it so indulgent, and therefore enjoyable. but anyway, if you're going to try a homemade version, don't forget to add lecithin. its emulsifying properties will help tremendously.

• 4 months later...

I tried to make a Nutella cheesecake, and it turned out pretty well. Used 24ozs cream cheese, 3 eggs, about 3/4C sugar, a jar of Nutella, and 1t Frangelico. I used vanilla wafers and butter for the crust. Its a little softer than your typical cheesecake, but silky smooth and delicious.

gallery_23736_355_15968.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

There is a Nutella cookbook out in Italy - in Italian only, as far as I know. I bought it for my sister - although last time I talked to her she had yet to try anything from it. There is at least one, possibly more, books about Nutella, the history of the company and so on. Also, I believe, in Italian only.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

nigella lawson has a great flourless or almost flourless chocolate nutella cake in her domestic goddess book.  it's really good.

I will second the recommendation on this recipe. It is easy, delicous and has the added advantage of seeming 'adult' as you wolf down large pieces of nutella moussy cake.

My previous pastry chef was also a flight attendant and told me about a Nutelleria in Frankfurt, germany (I think) where everything they served had Nutella in it. Nutella crepes for lunch, etc.

While she was telling me about it, my pulse rate went up and I could feel my knees getting weak.

I will definitely try the Nutella Cake.

Marjorie

A few days ago I made this from the Nutella Italian website:

Nutella Cannoli:

12 Cannoli (I used home made brandy snaps, rolled) - 750 g. Nutella - 1 Kg. ricotta - 150 g. sugar - cinnamon to taste - 150 g. roasted and chopped hazelnuts - Brandy - powdered sugar.

Mix ricotta, sugar and cinnamon and pass through sieve. Fill one end of each cannolo, or brandy snap.

Mix Nutella and Brandy to taste, and fill other end of cannolo or brandy snap.

Sprinle hazelnuts over Nutella end.

Place in serving dish and dust powdered sugar all over.

An Italian Osteria here squirts it inside their fresh bombolini. Its outrageous!

Nutella-filled Bomboloni are more common in Italy than their jam-filled American counterparts.

And the French have been using Nutella in their Petits Pains au Chocolat for a very long time.

• 2 months later...

Just the other day a friend grilled some pineapple and smeared nutella on the warm pineapple. We also made french toast for breakfast and put the nutella on that.

"Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better." Robert Redford

One of my favourite local coffee shops makes Nutella-filled chocolate-chip cookies and muffins with a dollop of Nutella in the centre. They're especially amazing when fresh out of the oven and the Nutella is warm and extra-gooey.

:wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

tarteausucre, it's Prado Cafe, located on Commercial Drive at East 4th Avenue (northeast corner) in a brick building. My comments on our local Coffehouse and Cafe Reviews thread are here.

One caveat, however: the Nutella treats aren't always available. Kind of like a Pavlovian reward system... always leave 'em wanting more. But you can always call ahead and ask if they're available. Bonne chance!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

i know this violates the 'besides eating it straight from the jar' adage.. but dipping japanese Pocky in it(particularly their Pumpkin variety) is beyond heaven..

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

OK I am going to have to break down and share my guilty pleasure in which I have not indulged in in years...nutella warmed and served over Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream :wub::wub:

I have a recipe for Triple Hazelnut Cheesecake that I absolutely love. The original recipe is from Cooking Light, but I changed it to an allfat version and it's mighty decadent and sinfully delicious :rolleyes: I know Martha Stewart also has a recipe for cookies that are basically homey chocolate chip cookies with a nutella "button" in the middle.

JeAnne

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

I love Nutella...I made a 3 layer chocolate cake using Nutella as the filling. I iced the cake with SMBC with Frangelico added to it. It was quite good, but my family thought the hazelnut flavor was just too much.

Hey...more cake for me! :)

Nutella... mmm... can't stop myself from droolin....

My nutella ritual involves:

1. Big spoon

2. Big nutella jar (costco size preferred)

3. Medium crunchy Skippy peanut butter (honey roasted nut version is a plus)

During this ritual, I'm not on earth.

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

When there's no mo' nutella, I move on to this:

Chocolate sprinkles and condense milk sandwich

gallery_31494_1381_152403.jpg

Living at "yuppy" neighborhood, finding a loaf of Wonder Bread can be a mission:

- getting raised eyebrows & snickers from Urban Fare bakery staff

- no regular Safeway around the corner

- when finally found a Safeway, they don't have it! :shock:

At last, mission accomplished at 7 Eleven. Thank Gawd. :smile:

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if this is a new product or not, but it is really good!

Trader Joe's Cocoa Hazelnut Spread

12.35 oz for $2.69 (in Northern CA)

Ingredients: Sugar, Hazelnuts, Sunflower and Hazelnut Oil, Cocoa Powder, Whey Powder, Milk Powder, Soy Lecithin.

No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.

Product of Turkey.

Besides the reasonable price, there is NO peanut oil!!! (This is in contrast to American-distributed Nutella). I really dislike the peanut taste in this context as (for me) it completely takes away from the hazelnut flavor.

I'll have to compare it side by side with Europe-distributed Nutella, but this is tasting great!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"