• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutella.......mmmm, Nutella

mkfradin

Nutella is back at Costco and I'm thrilled to have my favorite dinner (Nutella on a spoon) available at a lower cost. However, I'm sure there are other things to do with such a wonderful ingredient. So far, we've just mixed it with our buttercream and layered it on a yellow cake (great, but a little too diluted for my taste).

Are there any other Nutella fans out there? Are there any taste sensations that I'm missing by eating my Nutella straight? Any help is appreciated!!!

Marjorie

Eat it on a slice of good bread to experience it's full character, but remember Nuttela is the work of the devil and addictive.

Perhaps, like wine tasting one should spit and not swallow :biggrin:

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

When I think of Nutella I think of the fresh, warm crepes on the streets of Paris filled with Nutella and sliced bananas…fantastic!

Also, I have a friend who sticks a whole (peeled) banana on a plate, microwaves it until it’s soft and heated through, then just globs Nutella all over it; saves having to make the crepes.

Edited by Jerry_A (log)

ok, all i needed was the nutella. i didn't even read one post. you see, i buy a jar of nutella about twice a year and i eat it in one day. it's very hard to control myself around nutella. it's just soooooooo gooooood. honestly, my wife calls me to try and stop me from eating it. i'm not like that with anything else. ok, i'll go back and read the thread now.

and, while i'm eating in, i'm enjoying the pure over indulgence of it.

• Like 1

While in Vegas (Paris brunch buffet), I asked the creperie chef to make me a crepe filled with fresh whipped cream, a 'ginormous' dollop (more like a mound) of Nutella, and a huge scoop of blueberries on top. Decadence!!! :biggrin:

I ate nutella for the first time about a month ago. I was on this bike ride, and at the halfway mark there was food and stuff, and they had these little individual thingies of nutella. That stuff is so good! I'm sure if I bought a jar of it I'd eat it in one sitting. (So I think I'll refrain.) :rolleyes:

There is nothing better in this galaxy than Nutella spread on a halved warm, plain buttery croissant.

NOTHING.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It's hard to stop eating Nutella by the spoonfull and think of something else to do with it, I almost never manage.

There is one recipe I've tried which is delicious, Pierre Herme's Nutella tart. The only problem I see is that Nutella is more an underlying flavour than the main element :smile: .

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

My favorite way to eat Nutella is with a banana in one hand and a spoon in the other. Alternate until the banana is gone. Keep eating until the spoon is gone too.

edited to add:

Oh! Just had a thought. Combining threads, wouldn't a fried Nutella pie be faboo?

Either Nutella alone or with berries, nuts, bananas, whatever added. Eat 'em right out of the fryer with a big dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.

Edited by bkeith (log)

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

Oh my God, you guys are outrageous. i'm sitting here alone in my office, moaning, just reading the suggestions. Microwaved mushy bananas and fresh croissants got me going pretty quickly. My waistline does not thank you, but I do.

Marjorie

• Like 1

Specificly baking or baked goods with nutella.......think peanut butter or praline paste. Any recipe where you see those you can sub in nutella pretty much weight for weight.

Think of it as any other component/ flavor, it can be infused, incorporated into almost everything. Mix it with your chocolate into a flourless cake. Mix it into any white, milk choc. or semi sweet mousse, ganche or frosting. Put it in with your cream into a creme' brulee'. Spread it as is as a layer in any multicomponented dessert. Mix it into creme anglaise. Mix it into your cheesecake batter, etc.........to taste or smell.

If it's not stong enough add more. In your yellow cake example you could have spread nutella between your layers like a filling and for that fact combined it with other fillings like ganche. You also probably could have added more nutella to your frosting. If your temp.'s are o.k. the consistancy should hold up enough to use alot of nutella in your butter cream. You could have added nutella to some fueitine (sorry for the spelling) and chocolate and made a nice crunchie base or topping for your cake.

It's hard to stop eating Nutella by the spoonfull and think of something else to do with it, I almost never manage.

There is one recipe I've tried which is delicious, Pierre Herme's Nutella tart. The only problem I see is that Nutella is more an underlying flavour than the main element  :smile: .

albiston - I tried making the tart you linked to, but the recipe was a little confusing. It called for 200 grams of butter and had a conversion to 7 Tbls of butter. Now, I know those measurements are not equivalent. Any idea what the correct amount is? I did everything by weight, but there was just TOO much butter. (As I baked it, I poured some of the excess off.) We'll see how it tastes after it's cooled!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

There's a bakery/restaurant in Cambridge, MA called Hi-Rise that has a 'Sin' sandwich on the menu. Nutella and dark Valhrona chocolate on brioche, grilled. Thankfully I saw it on the menu after I ordered my sandwich.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

But do you have any idea what is right for that recipe? I know all recipes are different, but perhaps there is a gerenal rule of thumb based on the other ingredients. Should I have used 200 grams or 7 Tbls? I'm leaning toward the 7 Tbls, since 200 grams seemed like way too much. There's obviously a typo somewhere; I'm just curious if anyone has the correct recipe or can offer an opinion as to which measurement to use.