• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guavas....

Edward

So, here in suburban Bombay I am gobbling up fresh guavas at every chance. They are pretty abundant right now and their fragrance is irresistable...I can smell them halfway down the street! Besides just eating them doea any one have any ideas for cooking them...like a chatni perhaps?

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Hi Edward

I'm green with envy :angry: ... Enjoy those guavas...

Swatis Snacks at Tardeo does a guava subzi ...

Are you eating them with salt and chilli powder?? :wub:

The Indian Christians make a mean guava leather called guava cheese. You can also get ,at some places in Bombay, a guava jam...

Edited by bague25 (log)

I am very envious too....mmmmm. They make a great chutney style jam. sweet with lots of heat. I think yamuna has a recipie, but i dont think I have ever used it. I just cook them with some ghee and sugar, and a little water if you need it, and some ginger, then make a chaunc with cumin and chilli and perhaps a little anise or clove, or put the clove in when you cook them..

How would guava samosas be? Just a brainstorm. Dominicanos make sweets with guava paste and also have cheese with guava paste, in case that gives you any ideas.

Another thought: Guava kulfi?

Michael aka "Pan"