• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pancake Mix

BastilaShan

It really is easy to make your own. I've used a recipe adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for years. Here's the basics (double or halve as needed): 1 cup of flour, 1 egg, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tbsp oil. If you prefer fluffy pancakes, use milk instead of buttermilk, omit baking soda and increase the baking powder to 2 tsps. I sometimes substitute some whole wheat pastry flour for unbleached white flour.

If I want to add fresh or frozen berries, I microwave them briefly with a touch of sugar before adding to the batter. Somehow, the berry juice makes the pancakes taste just yummy.

• Like 1

I really like to mix up the dry ingredients and cut in the butter or shortening to keep on hand in the fridge. When ready add in milk, eggs (optional, but if you omit eggs you must adjust your liquid up another 1/4 to 1/3 cup), sugar and/or spices, then pour on pancake griddle.

4 cups flour (I don't sift)

1 1/4 tsp salt

2 Tbsp baking powder

6 to 8 Tbsp butter or shortening (start with 6 Tbsp and see how it cuts through)

Store in sealed zippy-lock type bag or plastic container in fridge. It will keep 6 to 8 weeks. You can double this with no problem.

Pancakes: For every 1 1/2 cups of your mix add (just until combined, but not beaten) 1/2 cup milk (or sour cream thinned with milk to equate), two eggs (or 1/2 cup pourable sm'eggs), and up to 1 Tbsp sugar. Also if desired -- about 1/4 tsp to taste of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, or mace to mix. You can also sub out 1 to 2 cups of the AP flour for cornmeal, or whole wheat, or oat flour, etc. Add 1/2 cup fruit if you want. Makes 8 to 10 pancakes (1/4 cup batter/pancake).

It makes a more multi-purpose mix that way. As easy to travel with and mix as brand mixes, but with more you involved if that's what you want. You can adjust the flours you use as well as the add-ins to serve your preference (pancakes, biscuits, muffins, and even some simple coffee cakes).

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Years and years ago I found a slim cookbook in the library, "Baker's Flower". It gave a basic recipe, similar to lovebenton's, for a baking mix and then gave lots of recipes for ways to use it. Has anyone else ever seen this book?

Oooooo . . . no. But maybe someone should sniff around ebay -- or Half-Price -- for a golden oldie like that.

My recipe developed over years of commom denominator mixing for related quick batters -- and it's flexible, allows for a lot of creative input at initial production and final mixing stage. Perfect for me when I was a schooling/teaching/two job working, student, Archaeologist/Geologist. :blink:

Perfect for in the field, and at home on those rare occasions I got a chance to enjoy it on a weekend. Now it's just easier to mix up more at once and have to do less trips (ooooooooops! :wink:) around the kitchen.

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

And it would make a nice gift in a basket, along with some goodies to put on the pancakes, etc., etc....

I do a basic cookie mix like this and package it with things to add to the mix to make different varieties of cookies.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Personally I think Snoqualmie Falls Pancake and Waffle Mix is the best.

I agree this mix is really good. Although, if you can go there to eat breakfast that's even better! Good food and a beautiful view! :smile: Better yet, spend the night in one of their fabulous rooms and then have breakfast!

• 11 years later...