Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mssmltzr

Cheese Fondue

Recommended Posts

i Picked up two packets of Trader Joe’s cheese fondue tonight— a friend recommended it. It’s a seasonal item and the packets I got don’t expire until September next year. 

 

  I’m thinking it would be a fun dinner to have while decorating the tree. Have to see what my inlaws think. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

i Picked up two packets of Trader Joe’s cheese fondue tonight— a friend recommended it. It’s a seasonal item and the packets I got don’t expire until September next year. 

 

  I’m thinking it would be a fun dinner to have while decorating the tree. Have to see what my inlaws think. 

 

Don't ask  just do it! (insert Nike logo here)  Unless they are lactose intolearnt everyone loves melty cheese and bread. The bread texture matters in my opinion. I like a mix of sourdough and something sweet like Kings Hawaiian but the latter may be a Cali thing. 


Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

i Picked up two packets of Trader Joe’s cheese fondue tonight— a friend recommended it. It’s a seasonal item and the packets I got don’t expire until September next year. 

 

  I’m thinking it would be a fun dinner to have while decorating the tree. Have to see what my inlaws think. 

I got the new forks, and gel fuel for my 'new' vintage fondue set yesterday. I will have to look for the TJ's fondue. Might be fun for the first run we take at it.

HC

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, heidih said:

 

Don't ask  just do it! (insert Nike logo here)  Unless they are lactose intolearnt everyone loves melty cheese and bread. The bread texture matters in my opinion. I like a mix of sourdough and something sweet like Kings Hawaiian but the latter may be a Cali thing. 

 

 Nope. Not everyone. I love cheese and I love bread and I love fondues. I dislike cheese fondues.  Two dips and I’m done.   I find all that melted cheese overkill.   But carry-on. Just wanted to express one dissenting vote.  

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As discussed elsewhere it is the process and company less than the taste around the holidays. Dissenting taste vote noted.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my inlaws were excited to do fondue so we did! It’s such an extravagant meal— all that melted cheese (it’s a cheap thing to make but seems like such an indulgence). 

 

  TJ’s fondue was very good. We used both packages so I will go back and hope I can find more. We are it with ham, slightly cooked baby carrots, cooked baby potatoes, raw califlower, zucchini, mushrooms and apples and of course bread. It’s a fun meal and everyone enjoyed it! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was I doing during the seventies when Americans were crazed for lousy bread dipped in hot cheese? Living in New Mexico on a diet of roasted hatch chiles and flour tortillas, that's what. Somehow I missed all the fondue fuss, and distinctly remember making fun of fondue and those electric fondue pots. I've never liked the Alpine cheeses, either. By the late seventies I moved to the Bay Area and met my husband to be. His parents were exactly the kind of people who had barely used fondue pots mouldering away in the garage. They got naked with their friends at Esalen and turned on....their fondue pots.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually never had fondue until 

I was in my late 20s. It was popular before my time. 


Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Dear.  Molten  cheese plus being naked....do they have scars to show from the experience?   Sounds more painful than frying bacon naked.  The cheese blobs would tend to stick,,,ouch

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Oh Dear.  Molten  cheese plus being naked....do they have scars to show from the experience?   Sounds more painful than frying bacon naked.  The cheese blobs would tend to stick,,,ouch

Experimenting with social norms can be dangerous, neh?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Oh Dear.  Molten  cheese plus being naked....do they have scars to show from the experience?   Sounds more painful than frying bacon naked.  The cheese blobs would tend to stick,,,ouch

I waited & waited.......still nobody asked.....

Frying bacon naked....????????

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

I waited & waited.......still nobody asked.....

Frying bacon naked....????????

 

It is a thing.  Get over it.

 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

I waited & waited.......still nobody asked.....

Frying bacon naked....????????

I think this is a joke in the US.  I can't imagine that anyone really does it.  But for some reason, it is a thing that people talk about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I think this is a joke in the US.  I can't imagine that anyone really does it.  But for some reason, it is a thing that people talk about.

 

‘Because of all the fat spitting - can’t think of any common food item quite as likely to spit hit oil at you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an electric fondue set that my wife received as a gift several years ago. It's been used exactly once. She used some purchased pouches of cheese fondue from the grocery store. I read the ingredients and it actually sounded good, all nice ingredients. Problem was, it was so boozy the cheese may as well not have been there. It contained white wine and kirsch and apparently in abundance. The booze was so strong it completely took over, we didn't enjoy it at all. I keep waffling between using the fondue pot and getting rid of it. Same with her cake pop maker. I was going to get rid of that because I have no interest in cake pops but then I discovered a whole world of little bite sized snacks that can be made in it and kept it around. Filling the little cavities with corn dog batter, sticking a chunk of hot smoked sausage in the middle and letting it do it's thing is particularly tasty. Maybe I can combine that with a nice cheese fondue to dip the little corn dogs in and make use of both gadgets. :P

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I have an electric fondue set that my wife received as a gift several years ago. It's been used exactly once. She used some purchased pouches of cheese fondue from the grocery store. I read the ingredients and it actually sounded good, all nice ingredients. Problem was, it was so boozy the cheese may as well not have been there. It contained white wine and kirsch and apparently in abundance. The booze was so strong it completely took over, we didn't enjoy it at all. I keep waffling between using the fondue pot and getting rid of it. Same with her cake pop maker. I was going to get rid of that because I have no interest in cake pops but then I discovered a whole world of little bite sized snacks that can be made in it and kept it around. Filling the little cavities with corn dog batter, sticking a chunk of hot smoked sausage in the middle and letting it do it's thing is particularly tasty. Maybe I can combine that with a nice cheese fondue to dip the little corn dogs in and make use of both gadgets. :P

 

Most of the alcohol should have evaporated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I have an electric fondue set that my wife received as a gift several years ago. It's been used exactly once. She used some purchased pouches of cheese fondue from the grocery store. I read the ingredients and it actually sounded good, all nice ingredients. Problem was, it was so boozy the cheese may as well not have been there. It contained white wine and kirsch and apparently in abundance. The booze was so strong it completely took over, we didn't enjoy it at all. I keep waffling between using the fondue pot and getting rid of it. Same with her cake pop maker. I was going to get rid of that because I have no interest in cake pops but then I discovered a whole world of little bite sized snacks that can be made in it and kept it around. Filling the little cavities with corn dog batter, sticking a chunk of hot smoked sausage in the middle and letting it do it's thing is particularly tasty. Maybe I can combine that with a nice cheese fondue to dip the little corn dogs in and make use of both gadgets. :P

 

Now, I LIKE that idea. You could also do chunks of cheese inside the corn dog batter.


Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Most of the alcohol should have evaporated.


I thought the same but it sure didn't taste like it did. 


It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:


I thought the same but it sure didn't taste like it did. 

 

Odd.  But I've never had anything too boozy so I wouldn't know.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I have just about everything I need, it's a matter of deciding what to have for dippage. I am kind of thinking about ripe pears, blanched baby carrots & sugar snaps, raw cauliflower slices, leftover kielbasa and garlic and thyme croutons.

HC

IMG_3360.thumb.JPG.9ad01f4011b770ba8fb997770e57751d.JPG

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Now that I have just about everything I need, it's a matter of deciding what to have for dippage. I am kind of thinking about ripe pears, blanched baby carrots & sugar snaps, raw cauliflower slices, leftover kielbasa and garlic and thyme croutons.

HC

IMG_3360.thumb.JPG.9ad01f4011b770ba8fb997770e57751d.JPG

 

Lovely pot!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since it’s snowing (ok any excuse would suffice) we did cheese fondue again tonight. We used this product:

 

http://www.mifroma.com/ourcheeses/classics/original-swiss-fondue

 

which was very good and about $8. It has the wine and sherry in it. 

 

  For dippers we had ham slices, radishes (a new one to us but it was good), califlower, bread, mushrooms, zucchini and apples. Ideal for a snowy night. Now I’m about to another the left over apple slices in peanut butter and watch a dvd! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...