• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Memory is fickle!

Many years ago, I was having a party and decided to make fondue. A friend of mine had recently quit drinking, and I wanted to support her, so decided that in place of using wine and kirsch, I would use yogurt.

There were 2 Swiss and 2 Germans at the party. Who were appalled! One of those people has been my friend for 35+ years and still complains about that fondue!

Nowadays I have a stand for a cheap fondue set, but have thrown out the other parts. I use an ordinary saucepan on top of it, a restaurant sterno set, and some decent long forks.

TdeV

TdeV

Many years ago, I was having a party and decided to make fondue. A friend of mine had recently quit drinking, and I wanted to support her, so decided that in place of using wine and kirsch, I would use yogurt.

There were 2 Swiss and 1 German at the party. Who were appalled! One of those people has been my friend for 35+ years and still complains about that fondue!

Nowadays I have a stand for a cheap fondue set, but have thrown out the other parts. I use an ordinary saucepan on top of it, a restaurant sterno set, and some decent long forks.