• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch on a Saturday

Hello,

I'm looking for restaurant recommendations for lunch this Saturday. I'm taking my brother out (who lives in restaurant-desolate Olympia) for his birthday and wanted to take him to Union or Dahlia Lounge or something of that caliber. No one seems to serve lunch on Saturdays. To add to the issue, my brother doesn't like fish or seafood! So, the restaurant needs to have some good meat dishes.

Any recommendations? Cheers, Mr. Lucky

Hello,

I'm looking for restaurant recommendations for lunch this Saturday. I'm taking my brother out (who lives in restaurant-desolate Olympia) for his birthday and wanted to take him to Union or Dahlia Lounge or something of that caliber. No one seems to serve lunch on Saturdays. To add to the issue, my brother doesn't like fish or seafood! So, the restaurant needs to have some good meat dishes.

If your brother likes French, Maximilien would be a good choice.

All the hotel restaurants (727 Pine, Brasserie Margaux, Earth & Ocean, etc.) would also be open.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Hello,

I'm looking for restaurant recommendations for lunch this Saturday.

<snip>

I'll second Cafe Campagne if you want to do a brunch, or (staying in Pike Place Market), Place Pigalle , where I had a wonderful Rabbit Cassoulet a few months back. They're open on Sat, 11:30am-3:30pm

Edited by AccidentalHedonist (log)

-Kate

-----------

My food blog:

Accidental Hedonist - Food, travel and other irrelevent irreverence

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Matt's... but, then, I'll understand if people are still trying to keep it a secret.  :hmmm:

I don't think non-seafood eaters would do particularly well at Matt's....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Matt's... but, then, I'll understand if people are still trying to keep it a secret.  :hmmm:

I don't think non-seafood eaters would do particularly well at Matt's....

It's hard to call it a special occasion place. The pulled pork sandwich is pretty tasty.

Edited by tsquare (log)

I agree with Maximilien, was steered there myself by eGulleters and had a fantastic lunch while looking out at the sound. Fantastic food and service!

I settled on Maximilien and was 100% pleased with the choice. We had a window table and it was a beautiful, sunny afternoon. The service was excellent -charming and yet unobtrusive at all the right times. The food and atmosphere were perfect for my brother and his girlfriend as anything "fancy" would have struck the wrong note.

My brother had what he considered to be the best Alfredo with Grilled Chicken dish he's every had. His girlfriend was pleasantly overwhelmed by her huge bowl of Moules au Roquefort. I hade the Vegetarian Tarte Flambee and it was delicious. The portions were very generous despite the claim that they were lunch size. I think that the dinner portions must be for two! We chose not to finish our entrees to save room for dessert. We ordered the warm chocolate cake and the profiteroles. Normally I won't order a warm chocolate cake because very, very few restaurants do it well. I had a feeling after the excellent meal that Maximilien would be the rare exception and I was proven correct. The crumb was perfect and you would taste a nice overlay of cocoa instead the normally too-rich chocolate flavor that imbues most versions of this dessert. The profiteroles were excellent too -but paled compared to the cake.

Again, thanks for the recommendation!