• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rewards ...

You've mentioned the rewards of the career in several posts, but mostly in an abstract sense. I'd like to hear more.

Money isn't enough, but I imagine it's necessary. You talked about satisfying customers and the establishing a trust based relationship by which you can subtly challenge them. Pride and prestige also came up. And then there is creativity - the inspiration and creation aspect - and craft - executing perfectly. Which of these really stimulate you? Has it changed over time as you've grown? Are there others that I've overlooked? Can you comment on the way some of the chefs you've worked with view the "rewards" of the profession?

I hope that isn't too vague.

Thanks,

rien

You've mentioned the rewards of the career in several posts, but mostly in an abstract sense. I'd like to hear more.

Money isn't enough, but I imagine it's necessary. You talked about satisfying customers and the establishing a trust based relationship by which you can subtly challenge them. Pride and prestige also came up. And then there is creativity - the inspiration and creation aspect - and craft - executing perfectly. Which of these really stimulate you? Has it changed over time as you've grown? Are there others that I've overlooked? Can you comment on the way some of the chefs you've worked with view the "rewards" of the profession?

I hope that isn't too vague.

Thanks,

rien

Well thats a big question. The rewards are very personal and different for each person or chef. Some thrive on the pressure, some the attention, some the game itself, some the satisfaction of the guests liking your food, some is working with younger chefs and teaching them, others its the creativity, others its being great at it and making something good-great and so on.

To identify it in simple terms is not that easy. Im not trying to be vague but just to let you know that its not any one thing or certain things. For me its everything that I love, enjoy and take pride in.

Thanks for your answer. It sounds as if you came from the "bottom up" rather than "top down" - your desire to excel developed with your engagement with food ... it wasn't something you had planned out when you started. It's amazing to me how many people that really succeed at something find their way in rather casually, rather than starting with a determined purpose.

It definitely is a big question. But, as one that considers himself a "seeker" - unfortunately, not always a "finder" - and one that demands a level of performance from himself, I'm always curious what drives the people that manage to achieve a high-level of success. Inevitably it is a very personal matter. That's fine. Piecing together what is common among them, or deciding that there is nothing common, is my interest.

I'm also fascinated by what differentiates the very skilled, very inspired, and very successful from the "superstars." But that's another topic ...

Thanks,

rien

Thanks for your answer. It sounds as if you came from the "bottom up" rather than "top down" - your desire to excel developed with your engagement with food ... it wasn't something you had planned out when you started. It's amazing to me how many people that really succeed at something find their way in rather casually, rather than starting with a determined purpose.

It definitely is a big question. But, as one that considers himself a "seeker" - unfortunately, not always a "finder" - and one that demands a level of performance from himself, I'm always curious what drives the people that manage to achieve a high-level of success. Inevitably it is a very personal matter. That's fine. Piecing together what is common among them, or deciding that there is nothing common, is my interest.

I'm also fascinated by what differentiates the very skilled, very inspired, and very successful from the "superstars." But that's another topic ...

Thanks,

rien

Well usually what seperates them is a good p.r. firm, timing and that just right review at the right time. Also a job where you can succeed. A boss that will allow you to be great, in a town where you can be great and customers who think your great. Talent isnt all they look for. It takes flar, charisma and that just right umph in your food they have been looking for and you filled. Its alot of things.