• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need to make a "cookbook"

fifi

Thanks for that link, marie-louise. Binders R Us!

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

snowangel, and many others, I am sure...those are the memories that are disappearing. Talking about combining reminds me of how proud I was to tote the big glass barrel (probably two gallons) of lemonade for my momma to the crew. In the summer we had to use the privy a lot of times if the well got low.

That chicken-topped candy dish got around. As a VERY young child I was traumatised by a mean ol' hen, so anytime my momma didn't want me in something, she set it on the big table next to that glass hen.

I remember sneaking a salt shaker outside and sitting up in one of the apple trees scarfing on unripe apples and salt, then gakking like a cat with major hairballs all night.

There's no money to trade for things like that. :sad:

Edited by Mabelline (log)

Great idea, Fifi.

Several years ago, I decided that for Mother's Day, I'd take all of my mother's recipes (handwritten cards, mostly, but with lots of clipped out recipes from magazines too), enter them all into MasterCook and make a cookbook. For her, primarily, but also for me and my siblings. It took me way longer than I thought it would (somehow I felt that I had to expand on instructions like "mix as usual and bake until done"). But I did get it done, and it's pretty cool. I used a binder designed for recipes, which has dividers with pockets for additional clipped recipes. The pages are like photo album pages, where you peel back a plastic cover and can stick anything to them. It meant I had to trim the pages a little to fit, but it also gives the flexibility (on the extra pages) to paste in new recipes in a variety of formats.

That being said, I don't think the format matters nearly as much as just doing it.

... It took me way longer than I thought it would (somehow I felt that I had to expand on instructions like "mix as usual and bake until done")

...That being said, I don't think the format matters nearly as much as just doing it.

Your comments reminded me of several things about my own cookbook. I started mine over 17 years ago, in the dark ages of word processing. Fortunately, I happened to use Word. I printed the first version on tractor feed index cards that never got quite flat again from their trek through the printer! I initially created mine because I was dividing my time between my home and a little beach house, and quickly discovered that I couldn't remember to bring all the right hand-written recipe cards or cookbooks with me every week. Buying two copies of every cookbook seemed out of the question, so I decided to make electronic copies of my favorite recipes. I now have over 500 Word documents.

Yes, it took a long time. Like any other big task, it helps to break it into smaller tasks. Do all your favorite Thanksgivng side dishes and Christmas cookies this year. Next spring write out a few of your favorite salads. Or, so a dozen or two family favorites for presents. (There's no reason you can't give a binder and a dozen recipes this year, with the promise of another handful of recipes as future presents.) You'll feel a sense of accomplishment at getting each section done. Keep it up and before long you will have an entire cookbook.

I'm also really glad that mine is in Word because I've never had to retype anything. I've updated the format from index card size to 8x11, and every now and again I've updated the format using the style sheets, but just by luck, I chose a program that's still available. Word is obviously not your only choice, but I'd be cautious of using a product that isn't an industry standard. You only want to type these things once!

If I didn't say this before-mine are in those plastic page protectors. I buy them in boxes of 100 at the office store so they are not too expensive.

My 16 year old niece will be coming to stay with Aunt Lucy (moi) next summer (to study French). I think making her a cookbook of what we prepare (and what I teach her to prepare) during that month is a good idea, including essays on certain foods, our visit to a farm, what we eat on a hiking trip, etc.

I am watching this thread with interest, there are so many beautiful stories here! I personally have only one scrap of paper with a recipe for biscuits in my grandmother's handwriting. For the people still working on their books, and who are making computerized versions for loved ones, please let me know what software you find to be the best. I want to use a software to accomodate cooking and market photos.

Since I'm only making one copy, perhaps the hand written way is best, though. I could have prints made of the photos and paste them in the book...

Since I'm only making one copy, perhaps the hand written way is best, though.  I could have prints made of the photos and paste them in the book...

There is a savor to a personally handmade book that is the same as the savor of a personally handmade meal. I find the idea completely entrancing. If there is just one to make, and you have the time and desire to do so...well. Wow. Yes.

Since I'm only making one copy, perhaps the hand written way is best, though.  I could have prints made of the photos and paste them in the book...

There is a savor to a personally handmade book that is the same as the savor of a personally handmade meal. I find the idea completely entrancing. If there is just one to make, and you have the time and desire to do so...well. Wow. Yes.

It depends on your handwriting! My handwriting is like my mother's: completely illegible! I do have her recipe box, but for the life of me I cannot decipher many of the recipes!!! Fortunately, my dad typed some of them onto cards for her. :laugh:

Seriously-a handwritten book would be a treasure.

Nothing so high-tech as this, but I have kept a hand-written notebook with all my special recipes for years, just so the kids will have them, "after."

And now, all three of my children are married. When each married, I went to my local cookware/gourmet store and bought one of those looseleaf notebooks that are made especially for writing down recipe collections and wrote out the best recipes from our family and put them in the book. I also sent some pages to the prospective mother-in-law and asked her to write down her family's favorites.

Then put them all together and gave them to the new couple as a small wedding gift.

As I said, pretty low-tech but those notebooks that they sell just for that purpose are handy and my kids seem to really appreciate them.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

This article in the Houston Chronicle gives some good pointers. I may have to get that book.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Nothing so high-tech as this, but I have kept a hand-written notebook with all my special recipes for years, just so the kids will have them, "after."

And now, all three of my children are married.  When each married, I went to my local cookware/gourmet store and bought one of those looseleaf notebooks that are made especially for writing down recipe collections and wrote out the best recipes from our family and put them in the book.  I also sent some pages to the prospective mother-in-law and asked her to write down her family's favorites.

Then put them all together and gave them to the new couple as a small wedding gift.

As I said, pretty low-tech but those notebooks that they sell just for that purpose are handy and my kids seem to really appreciate them.

Lovely idea, Jaymes to include both moms!

My son & DIL have a small recipe book -- that my SD Amy gave to me to fill up for them, then she made copies of those. But it is small (literally a handbook) and is woefully out of date on recipes. Great when they ask for "more, Mom!" :wub:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite