• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

need ideas

ladyyoung98

i have a party at work on friday and am making sandwiches ...among other things and while i already have some ideas for some fillings..i also wanted to make some egg salad sandwiches....however i want to give an ordinary egg salad some extra life and while i have had some ideas on another front..i also want to have some more input on what i can add to it that will really make it outstanding...all suggestions are very welcome.

a recipe is merely a suggestion

I make a greek egg salad that has capers, walnuts, and dill. Or you can add horseradish. Or bacon! Or chipotle peppers. Probably not all at one time, though.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Is this sliced hardboiled eggs with salad (and perhaps mayo), in which case all the things that dress up salads work: a little honey/mustard, or a little truffle oil or some anchovies, or pine nuts...

or

chopped egg with mayo or salad cream; in which case chives, or tomato paste or onion, or

chopped egg, chicken liver, fried onions, smaltz (ok, chopped liver with lots of egg)

In fact chopped egg and chopped raw onion, lightly moistened is my favourite, but a bit anti-social

how do you make your egg salad now? that might help us get thinking of the right things to add to it :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I make a greek egg salad that has capers, walnuts, and dill. Or you can add horseradish. Or bacon! Or chipotle peppers. Probably not all at one time, though.

Greek egg salad sounds really delicious. Capers, lemon aioli made with strong olive oil, maybe some fresh oregano....

sorry to say that at the moment its plain old egg salad with the chopped up eggs...mayo..little salt...little pepper.....nothing very exciting and its been a long time since ive made it...but there had been a request for it and i didnt want to do the same ol same old....and so far im getting some wonderful ideas...one or two which i had been muilling around in my head already...but nice to see coming from others too......

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

Make Devilled Egg Salad. Just take your favorite Devilled egg recipe and convert it to salad-duty.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Lemon juice is a nice basic addition to egg salad...

besides some of the good suggestions above, a nice add-in is chopped, roasted and peeled red peppers

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

ok..ive got the egg salad made and sitting in the fridge for the flavors to blend...i want ya'll to know i actually used several things i saw mentioned here and looks like we may have a hit...will let ya'll know if they like it or not.....lol

Mix equal parts mayo & sour cream; season with lemon juice and/or Dijon. Making your own mayo would be a dynamic improvement over the majority of bottled types.

I really like a free-range egg-salad sandwich on the 7-grain bread I developed. Gotta have Tabasco & snipped chives in the filling. Buttercrunch lettuce is the ultimate. Darjeeling tea is lovely to drink with these sandwiches.

Cold-smoked salmon would elevate the sandwiches to Ritz level. A guilty pleasure of mine is eating an egg sandwich with a bowl of lobster chowder. Almost too good to share! (To paraphrase Justin Wilson: "Lock the door and don't let anybody in.")

For a reference on the subject of sandwich-making ideas, obtain a copy of The Sophisticated Sandwich by Janet Hazen.

Meanwhile, peruse some of the Epicurious egg-salad files

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

What about adding some sort of texture or crunch?

Diced celery would be the norm but you could also substitute diced water chestnuts.

I'd nix the paprika, though, given the recent warning: Click Here

What about adding something like bacon and parmesan cheese? It'd be like Spaghetti Carbonara without the pasta.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Mix equal parts mayo & sour cream; season with lemon juice and/or Dijon.  Making your own mayo would be a dynamic improvement over the majority of bottled types. 

I really like a free-range egg-salad sandwich on the 7-grain bread I developed.  Gotta have Tabasco & snipped chives in the filling.  Buttercrunch lettuce is the ultimate.  Darjeeling tea is lovely to drink with these sandwiches. 

Cold-smoked salmon would elevate the sandwiches to Ritz level.  A guilty pleasure of mine is eating an egg sandwich with a bowl of lobster chowder.  Almost too good to share!  (To paraphrase Justin Wilson: "Lock the door and don't let anybody in.")

For a reference on the subject of sandwich-making ideas, obtain a copy of The Sophisticated Sandwich by Janet Hazen.

Meanwhile, peruse some of the Epicurious egg-salad files

Amazing. It does not matter which forum you are writing in, Redsugar...even in scanning quickly through, your posts are immediately recognizable even if I am not focusing in on 'who or what' precisely is landing in the thread.

What a fine touch with food...and what depth of knowledge. I am constantly impressed. Really and truly. Thanks.