• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourdain Book Signings in the Southeast

Gifted Gourmet

the schedule

Cocktail Reception/Book Signing

Date: 17 November 2004

6:30-7:30PM

Les Dames D’Escoffier

4 Seasons Hotel

7:30-9:30PM 75 14th St. NE

Dinner/Restaurant Event Atlanta, GA

For reservations call: (404) 881 9898

Book signings and dates:

ATLANTA, GA

Date: 18 November 2004

Cook’s Warehouse

549-1 Amsterdam Avenue NE

ATLANTA, GA

Date: 18 November 2004

Barnes & Noble

2900 Peachtree Road, NE

MIAMI, FL

Date: 20 November 2004

Coral Gables, FL

MIAMI, FL

Date: 21 November 2004

Del Ray Beach, FL

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

How about a day tripper down to Atlanta to meet him  :biggrin:   and have some really good food? :rolleyes:

Dear Gifted Gourmet,

Would love to join in on your idea, but will be in Orlando! I'm hoping to catch the last day of that Epcot Food and Wine fest between sessions of a conference, my real reason for being there.

Met Tony twice before, last was in Chicago where I joined a big egullet gang for a memorable dinner and night on the town. Have fun! I'd be up for a foodie roadtrip to Atlanta in the future!

- Weka

Edited by weka (log)

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

I just spoke with the Catering Department at the Four Seasons Hotel who told me that some of the dinner being prepared, comes from Tony Bourdain's new book .. the cost is $135 per person and includes wine pairings.The event will be held in the Savannah Hall Dining Room and I look forward to it with great anticipation, Liz!

• 2 weeks later...

A pleasant dinner at the Four Seasons with Mr. Bourdain and the local Dames d'Escoffier (of which I'm not a member, but one of my friends turns out to be, a fact previously unknown to me) last night.

Lobster bisque, skate, lamb tournedos with figs, and three small desserts including a really lovely chestnut charlotte (nicely garnished with a lovely candied, not glacee, chestnut). Champagne and passed hors d'oeuvres to start, wines poured liberally throughout dinner.

Savannah Hall's a small ballroom at the Four Seasons, nicely decorated and intimate enough for the not huge crowd (total head count probably about 60). The guest of honor was genial if not exactly effusive. It's difficult to sound spontaneous if one's answering a question for the twentieth time in the space of ten days, though.

Book signings and a cooking demonstration scheduled for today for those of you who are still planning on seeing him.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Appreciate your offering your impressions of the Dames d'Escoffier dinner at the Four Seasons last night. Tony Bourdain was on local television today and still appears to be going strong as his book tour proceeds!

Next he'll be in Miami and if any of our southeast forum eGulleters happens to wish to share their impressions on that part of his tour here, please feel free to do so!

I very much enjoyed the dinner, and the company was very fun, particularly at my table. Lots of nice professionals, many very enthusiastic about food, and of course many members of Les Dames. This was a pleasant fact for me, since I'd just worked an event for the benefit of Les Dames last month at a bed and breakfast called Seren-be. It makes it much easier to talk with strangers when you realize that you were probably all in the same place, eating the same food and meeting the same people recently.

Tony looked very handsome, and he was quite nice about making the rounds of the tables. I stood up to greet him by our table, and he gave me 3 little air kisses by my cheeks. It's probably the first time I've blushed in a decade. Later, I managed to get him to write a personal autograph to the staff where I work, on the back of the printed menu.

One of the passed apps was foie gras on a piece of brioche with possibly a fig on top of it. I couldn't understand what the server offering it to me said, and it sounded like he wasn't sure how to pronounce what he was serving. And I didn't get to examine it further because I had to pop the whole thing in my mouth, as I was rapidly running out of hands, and I needed my glass of champagne.

Really, it was one of the most fun evenings I've had in a long time. Lambfries will kill me for saying this, but he's with Bourdain right now, so he can give a report when he gets back as well. Since posting is a little like pulling teeth for him, he might take a little while, though.

O.K. So I went to the Bourdain book signing/cooking demo at the Cooks Warehouse in Atlanta. Pretty cool. He made steak tartare, singned my copy of his cookbook, and he took a picture of the tatoo on my right forearm.

mise en place

"Success is the sum of alot of small things done correctly."

-- Fernand Point

O.K. So I went to the Bourdain book signing/cooking demo at the Cooks Warehouse in Atlanta. Pretty cool. He made steak tartare, signed my copy of his cookbook, and he took a picture of the tatoo on my right forearm.

mise en place

and, I assume, this is the photo of your own personal tribute to mise en place? If so, it is very cool, lambfries! Glad you got to meet Tony Bourdain :biggrin: you know, in the flesh, so to speak ... :hmmm:

The Clermont Lounge. Best bar--EVER!

Yes, Clermont is very cool. Blondie is probably the coolest stripper in the world.

Lambfries said he enjoyed a cigarette with you, and you refrained from punching him in the face and reminding him that he shouldn't be smoking, after having a heart attack a couple years ago. The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long, after all.

Thank you for visiting our fair city, and we both enjoyed meeting you again. I'm so glad you had an enjoyable experience.

• 9 months later...