• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Future Culinary Arts Student.

Hello Mr. Hamilton

First I wanna say welcome to eGullet and like me everyone is grateful that you have taking your time to answer some of are questions. Well, this is a very simple question really but I was wondering what advice would you give to some of the future culinary arts students and future chefs that are looking to get into the business like myself? Thanks again for taking your time to answer some of are questions. :cool:

user posted image

Hello Mr. Hamilton

First I wanna say welcome to eGullet and like me everyone is grateful that you have taking your time to answer some of are questions. Well, this is a very simple question really but I was wondering what advice would you give to some of the future culinary arts students and future chefs that are looking to get into the business like myself? Thanks again for taking your time to answer some of are questions. :cool:

Jason, first let me say there is alot of advice I could give but if you are like me, you will need to experience most things for yourself to understand what Im talking about. So I will only say this:

This is a very rewarding industry that has many rewards. To reach the top of this feild means sometimes alot of money, sometimes fame and a great deal of pride. But it also comes with a great deal of challenges. The amount of time and energy it takes to achieve those goals is never ending. Days are 15 hours, seven days a week, holidays, weekends, birthdays, special occasions and the like. It never ends and you can never rest on the previous days success. Everyday you need to search yourself for something, that at times is so impossible to find, that no one else has or that makes you keep working when you are too tired to stand or too stressed to think.

If you do this business to be rich or famous, you will not succeed. You must, and I say must, be in this because your love of food and the guest are so great, you want to do it better than anyone else. Never compromise your passion or standards for money or fame, It only ends badly.

Jason, I wish you luck down this road. The competition is fierce but its a family and"brotherhood" like no other. Enjoy it and dont rush to the finish. You might miss something