• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Rotis

maremosso

i've been planning to try akki rotis;

i've had them at friends' houses and they're great.

i was planning to try:

2 cups cooked rice (very soft and squishy, not the loose, separate

kind that is usually prized).

1 cup rice flour

chopped green chillies, cilantro, spring onions,

salt to taste.

water as appropriate.

make a soft dough with above.

roll out, and toast as regular chapatis.

i think the dough will be more sticky than wheat chapati dough

so rolling will be a challenge.

toasting times will differ; so the first 2-3 rotis will be experimental

:)

milagai

roll out, and toast as regular chapatis.

i think the dough will be more sticky than wheat chapati dough

so rolling will be a challenge.

toasting times will differ; so the first 2-3 rotis will be experimental

:)

milagai

Rolling out is indeed very difficult, I (my maid, actually!)use release/butter paper. The dough is rolled out on the paper on a flat surface and then slapped on to the griddle. A little cooking hardens the roti and the paper can be removed.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

My aunts and grandmother made this rice roti. It is a very difficult roti to master. This is how they proceeded:

Boil water with salt. Add rice flour (the same volume as the water i.e water:rice= 1:1)and stir constantly till the mixture leaves the side of the vessel and a ball is formed. Cool. Knead into a soft dough. Make balls and flatten them on banana leaves/plastic sheet/butter paper. Then like in Episure’s recipe turn on to hot tava and peel off the leaf/plastic sheet/butter paper slowly.

AH, so that's the secret - boiling the rice flour in water first! No one had told me to do it this way before. Thank you Bague25 - and would you add any flavourings (like green chili/ginger/sesame or cuminseeds) to the rice dough?

I have tried making my version of rice rotis with boiled rice and rice flour, and the usual masalas (green chili/ginger/chopped coriander/turmeric). and a little yoghurt and oil mixed in the dough - but they really are frustratingly difficult to handle...

I have eaten them in the past at friends' houses and they are always so beautifully made that may be I've got the technique all wrong.

I'll try your version next.