• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Bits Between Bread

As a kid, I loved peanut butter and brown sugar sandwiches - hmmmm.

Strangely enough, I also loved braunschweiger with mayo and brown mustard on pumpernickle

My husband loves french fry sandwiches - preferably on pita with garlic sauce

Sugar and butter sandwich eaters -- did you use white sugar or brown sugar?

I always used brown sugar.  Brown sugar and peanutbutter is goood too.

White sugar, baby! Yummm.

Oh yeah, condensed milk and jam on toast is tasty.

Sometimes if I have any left over, I make a roasted chicken skin sandwich. *sigh* You would think with all the skinless chicken breasts for sale in the world, someone could sell fried chicken skin without the pesky meat. :biggrin:

Someone does. http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry784647 :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

that reminds me - I did try a country sausage and fig preserve sandwich once.

that was actually pretty good.

That sounds like a cousin of Swedish meatballs with lingonberry jam.

Edited by esvoboda (log)

Connoisseurs of Harold's Chicken Shack would often create a Fry Sandwich. Take the white bread that sits atop the chicken, pile on the greasy french fries, top with hot sauce and fold up the bread.

Of course, who can forget the Captain Crunch sandwich that Ally Sheedy made in "The Breakfast Club"?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Fried chicken liver sandwich? Add some pancetta and thinly sliced red onion to it. If you have some, top it off with the yellow sauce that comes with the Peruvian roasted chicken. (Ok, I'm sure there's a name for it, but unfortunately, I have no clue what it is. It's just rich, yellow and addictive!)

Hope this helps!

A cheddar cheese sandwich, but smear the other slice with rasberry or strawberry jam (jelly). An ancient Scottish delicacy, my father told me.

Sweet and sour, surprisingly good.

Edited as there isn't a ceddar cheese, well I don't think there is.

Edited by naguere (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

A cheddar cheese sandwich, but smear the other slice with rasberry or strawberry jam (jelly). An ancient Scottish delicacy, my father told me.

Sweet and sour, surprisingly good.

Ah yes. Empty food value white bread, butter, processed cheese slice on one piece of bread, strawberry jam on the other slice. Trailer trash heaven... yummy.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

i adore condensed milk with cocoa powder sprinkled on top.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

My mother used to send us off to school with date and walnut sandwiches (surprisingly good!! :unsure: ). Another favourite of hers was grated carrot and cheese - had to be exactly equal amounts of each -my brother got raisins in his carrot and cheese but I hated that so had it without.

She tried apple and walnut there for a while but the apple went too black and we refused to eat it.

In winter we were allowed to take a cup-a-soup (chicken noodle) and dip our vegemite sandwiches in it.

These days I love potato salad or coleslaw with ham sandwiches - but only on that day's bread - I cannot understand how people eat bread the next day (or, horrors, after that :shock: )

My mom used to make me sandwiches of raisin bread schmeared with cream cheese and crushed walnuts.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I agree with the first day bread only every time i buy some i come right home and make a PB&J even before putting most of the groceries away.

I used to work in a deli and some girls kept ordering Bacon Egg and Cheese on toast dont melt the cheese with Grape Jelly.....yuck yech yuck until one day in the diner i realized i had just put of forkfull of bacon and egg And a bite of toast with jelly in my mouth and yes, it was good...... my current B'fast sandwich made for myself at work is

a round roll...cut the very top off and then the bottom sliver.. throw out the middle Grilled sausage patty toast the roll butter and grape jelly

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I think i would really enjoy a fried chicken liver sandwich.. Anyone have any suggestions to put with it..

I read this originally as "fried chopped liver sandwich" instead of "chicken," and I immediately thought of deep-frying a chopped liver sandwich from Second Ave. Deli. Not like that sandwich needs improvement, but HOT DAMN, that sounds really good. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with the first day bread only every time i buy some i come right home and make a PB&J  even before putting most of the groceries away.

I used to work in a deli and some girls kept ordering Bacon Egg and Cheese on toast dont melt the cheese with Grape Jelly.....yuck yech yuck until one day in the diner i realized i had just put of forkfull of bacon and egg And a bite of toast with jelly in my mouth and yes, it was good...... my current B'fast sandwich made for myself at work is

a round roll...cut the very top off and then the bottom sliver.. throw out the middle Grilled sausage patty toast the roll butter and grape jelly

Tracey

Eating out or at home, if I have bacon and eggs, I love to save some toast and bacon-- spread jelly on the toast, top with bacon-- and eat! Love that combination. I think it's that sweet, salty, savory combo going on-- same as I love chocolate covered pretzels, and a reeeaaally good sweet and pungent dish, which I can't seem to find anymore, at least in Philadelphia.....

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

I've always felt compelled to try the foods that characters in books like to eat. One of my favorite stories while growing up was "Harriet the Spy". Harriet ate a tomato sandwich for lunch every day. I was only nine, but I had to eat what Harriet ate. Now I make them with toasted millet bread, sliced tomatoes fresh from the farmers market, Ojai mayonnaise, and wedges of intense, crumbling cheddar. So. Good.

The "Little House" books inspired a whole series of experiments, ranging from the Great Popcorn Smokeout (Farmer Boy) to my flirtation with skin grafts while trying to make maple candy by pouring boiling hot Mrs. Butterworth on snow.

My sister, who was never much into cooking, once made us grilled sandwiches with mushroom soup filling inside...guess we were out of cheese that day.

We loved them and it became one of our favourites...couse the other kids thought we were nuts.

Guess it's one of those bizzare childhood food memories and I still crave them from time to time.

CM

My dad got me started on cookie sandwiches - white bread slathered with butter and however many Dutch speculaas cookies it took to cover the surface of the bread. It could also double as a dessert.

I also used to like making peanut butter sandwiches with chocolate sprinkles. Kind of like a peanut butter cup sandwich. :)

• 4 weeks later...
CHIP BUTTIES

(for our American cousins, French Fries with ketchup on white thickly buttered bread)

The best way to eat McDonald's fries! And when I get a craving for a McD's cheeseburger, I still gross out my partner by putting the fries in with it (and tossing the pickle at him).

Hellmann's mayo, ripple chips between 2 slices of store-bought potato or buttermilk bread. Or the gourmet version - add an avocado.

Iceburg lettuce & mayo between the same sort of bread.

My mum's thing was Roger's Golden Syrup between two slices of squishy white bread. And I'm with the other posters - it's gotta be storebought white bread, because it was always such a treat at home since mum was heavily into making healthy brown bread (which now, of course, I love - but back then - Wonderbread, French's mustard, process cheese, bologna, were all huge treats - only ever eaten at other people's houses as mum wouldn't buy processed food).

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)