• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Bits Between Bread

heh, these are great...  I was a camp counselor in college.  We experimented with those pudgie pie makers (sandwich irons). http://www.firepies.com/irons.html

I remember some weird concoctions, canned peaches and jelly beans anyone? (ugh) My favorite though was marshmallow, banana and chocolate chips.  Yum.

We also did those open faced sugar sandwiches, however, we got creative and tossed them on the griddle to fry like french toast making it a whole new delicious animal. 

also, see my signature line.  My dad must not have any taste buds left either.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

And did he want to share it with you, Cusina? :raz::blink:

My friend and her older sister introduced me to crisco on bread topped with sugar, broiled to their idea of perfection -- when the sugar forms a crusty yet molten top -- then sprinkled with cinnamon and downed while still scar your mouth hot. Don't want to let that crisco cool off! :huh: I ate it at their place -- never could make myself concoct one of my own.

But then they ate Captain Crunch sandwiches too!

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

fried bologna

Umm, fried Bologna! I was just reminiscing with a friend about fried bologna the other day. I used to love how it puffed up in the middle and the flat part got browned bits...of course, I'm talking oscar mayer here. And taking that little red ring of plastic off was like a treat.

That makes me think of the good ole' fried Spam sandwich on toast. With ketchup, of course.

All this is tempting me to make my childhood favorite right now - a sweet condensed milk sandwich. :wub:

Now there's a taste from my own childhood. Except I was too impatient to make a full-fledged sandwich. I just dipped pieces of buttered white bread straight into a pool of condensed milk. Yummers.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Hmmn. I'm not familiar with sweetened condensed on toast but it sounds great! It reminds me of another favorite from Stuckeys: coconut toast spread? Do they still sell this? Aside from pecan logs, that toast spread was always one of the greatest things about a (childhood) roadtrip...

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

When I was a kid, I used to eat white bread dipped in ketchup or sour cream, never together though.

My mom used to eat onion sandwiches or potato sandwiches. Good thing my dad had an extremely poor sense of smell, because you didn't want to be near her after those onion sandwiches.

I don't eat sandwiches too often, but I don't really put anything too weird on them when I do.

But toasted kalamata olive artisan bread dripping with real butter, now that's goooood.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

Atkins BLT; lettuce , mayo, tomato, bacon as a roll-up. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Ye gods, good people - we have omitted to date two of the world's most splendiferous sandwiches: Peanut butter and bacon and peanut butter and banana.

As to the chow mein sandwiches referred to earlier, I remember about 2,000 years ago when Nathan's Famous in Coney Island served those (on the same side of the shop selling lobster rolls). Trick was to start off (ideally at about 11 p.m. on a cold winter's night) with two hot-dogs (lots of mustard), go on to two orders of French fries (more mustard if you came from Brooklyn, catchup if from other parts of New York), go on to at least two each of lobster rolls and chow mein sandwiches, and then return to two more hot-dogs.

Curious.....does Nathan's still serve chow mein sandwiches?

Curious.....does Nathan's still serve chow mein sandwiches?

I don't know about the original location (I'm gonna say no) but the franchise locations certainly do not.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

did anyone mention the chip butty?

chips (fish and chips) on buttered white bread (salt and vinegar added beforehand).

i remember the first time i had a burger and fries - i put the fries in the bun with the burger to make it taste better!! which it did, of course.

Please excuse the ignorance (or, perhaps, impudence) here, but I thought that a "burger" was necessarily a patty, or rissole of meat between two peices of bread or encased in a bun.............thus, a "burger", sans bread, ceases to be a "burger", and becomes a meat patty, or rissole..........am I wrong?

Is it perhaps a cultural thing - not hailing from Nth America......

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

Fluffernutter

Made with peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on wonder white bread

A staple sandwich growing up in the 60's

sing along with me now....

"Oh you need fluff, fluff, fluff to make

a fluffer nutter,

Marshmallow fluff and lots of peanut butter.

First you spread, spread, spread your bread

with peanut butter,

Add marshmallow fluff and have a fluffernutter.

When you enjoy, joy, joy your fluff

and peanut butter,

You're glad you have enough for another

fluffernutter. "

:raz:

When I was about 11 or 12 years old, my version of the fluffernutter (which I swear I had to have at least 1 of every day after school) was made with grape jelly instead of the peanut butter. Haven't had one since, but I just may pick up a jar of fluff for the weekend! :laugh:

I haven't done this in years. It is a throwback to my childhood when my grandmother would fix this for me to shut me up. You take a really good soft white bread, preferably homemade by my Great Aunt Minnie. :biggrin: Trim the crusts and apply a generous slather of good butter to both pieces. Apply a liberal amount of sugar. Smush the two halves together to trap the sugar in the butter. I can feel the sweet crunch of the sugar now.  :wub:

We did this as kids too, but with my mother's home made white bread hot out of the oven. The sugar melts a bit and ummmmmmmmm.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Please excuse the ignorance (or, perhaps, impudence) here, but I thought that a "burger" was necessarily a patty, or rissole of meat between two peices of bread or encased in a bun.............thus, a "burger", sans bread, ceases to be a "burger", and becomes a meat patty, or rissole..........am I wrong?

Is it perhaps a cultural thing - not hailing from Nth America......

Possibly we still say "burger" because the long name for the slab of ground meat, "hamburger patty" is just too much for us. :biggrin:

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

I have a couple of strange but true combos from childhood.

Fried bologna and fried potatoes on white bread with yellow mustard. My mother used to make these and deliver them still hot to school for a special treat.

Peanut butter, cream cheese & jelly.

Peanut butter and relish ( recipe in one of those Scholastic book club books. The Charlie Brown Cook Book or something like that. I think it was all sandwiches).

Peanut butter & butter on toast.

My youngest brother loved his mayonnaise on white bread ( as does one of my sons... :blink: must be genetic ).

My youngest son is going through a lettuce faze at the moment, so he requested a PB&J, sliced American cheese and lettuce all on the same sandwich the other day. I made it and he actually ate it.

From childhood: dark toast with sliced raw hot dog. Don't ask me why I didn't cook the hotdog as well.

Fried baloney with cream cheese on a toasted bagel. Fake deli for the farmers.

Black bread, onion, liverwurst, and horseradish mixed with applesauce. Best breakfast in the world before going out to milk cows while it's still dark; especially if you come back in and have apple pie with cheese when through.

Dark toast, whipped cream and bananas.

I just now realized I had a toast fixation. Imagine that. :blink: