• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Bits Between Bread

My husband will make a sandwich out of anything. He once made a sushi and Russian black bread sandwich at a Russian restaurant (they also served sushi -weird??) in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn.

Other strange sandwiches:

in grade school, this girl Jody with blue frame octagonal glasses used to bring a peanut butter and mayonaise sandwich for lunch everyday. The gloopy mess would get stuck in her braces for the rest of the day. Yuck

my childhood buddy, Neil, used to make a snadwich out of white bread and Grandma's Browns Baked Beans (I have seen this brand sold only in the upstate NY region). Not too bad.

I love a white bread-butter and sugar sandwich and peanut butter and potato chips is very tasty.

back then - Wonderbread, French's mustard, process cheese, bologna, were all huge treats

Ooooh. Wonder Bread, processed cheese slices and bologna. The tastes of childhood. All you're missing from that is the Miracle Whip. Maybe pickles too, but that'd be plain ole luxury.

And then there's the culinary wonder that is Cheez Whiz. My Mom used to make sandwich filling out of Cheez Whiz mixed with chopped pimientos. Yes it's yummy... perhaps it's a Filipino thing. Go figure, but my husband could still truck through half a jar of the stuff if given the right crackers to spread it on.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

When I was stationed in the Philippines (Subic Bay) I remember we loved to get a bag of hot pandesal rolls and a jar of Cheese Whiz and eat it all up. At first I wondered why Cheese Whiz was so popular and available at just about every sari sari store. I eventually stopped wondering about it and enjoyed the fact that a piece of home was always available.

I also like to get a fresh loaf of Wonder Bread and make Fluffernutters, which I guess were most kid's first "bizarre bits between bread". Marshmallow Fluff is not available in my area of the south, so I have to order it from King Arthur Flour's website. And it has to be Fluff.

Dave

back then - Wonderbread, French's mustard, process cheese, bologna, were all huge treats

Ooooh. Wonder Bread, processed cheese slices and bologna. The tastes of childhood. All you're missing from that is the Miracle Whip. Maybe pickles too, but that'd be plain ole luxury.

With smooshed potato chips to add crunch -- yum! And it had to be Oscar Mayer bologna because I went to Oscar Mayer School!

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

I've always felt compelled to try the foods that characters in books like to eat. One of my favorite stories while growing up was "Harriet the Spy". Harriet ate a tomato sandwich for lunch every day. I was only nine, but I had to eat what Harriet ate. Now I make them with toasted millet bread, sliced tomatoes fresh from the farmers market, Ojai mayonnaise, and wedges of intense, crumbling cheddar. So. Good.

The "Little House" books inspired a whole series of experiments, ranging from the Great Popcorn Smokeout (Farmer Boy) to my flirtation with skin grafts while trying to make maple candy by pouring boiling hot Mrs. Butterworth on snow.

Hey! Harriet the Spy got me eating tomato sandwichs as a kid.

I haven't done this in years. It is a throwback to my childhood when my grandmother would fix this for me to shut me up. You take a really good soft white bread, preferably homemade by my Great Aunt Minnie. :biggrin: Trim the crusts and apply a generous slather of good butter to both pieces. Apply a liberal amount of sugar. Smush the two halves together to trap the sugar in the butter. I can feel the sweet crunch of the sugar now.  :wub:

As a kid I watched my neighbor do the same thing... except with mayonaise instead of butter. Mayo and sugar sandwiches. Yuk :blink:

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

Chocolate chip sandwiches on raisin bread. You toast the raisin bread and arrange the chocolate chips on one slice while it's still hot, then cover with another slice and smoosh them together so the chips start to melt. Kind of like pain au chocolat, before I discovered such a thing existed! If you're out of raisin bread, you can use a hot dog bun. NEVER plain white bread!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Wow, I'm a little freaked out, in a good way. I've just found this site, and there are people here who, like me, ate tomato sandwiches as a child because of Harriet!

And not only that, there are people who put potato chips into their bologna sandwiches! My particular Canadian touch is that the chip flavour has to be Ketchup. Yup.

My particular Canadian touch is that the chip flavour has to be Ketchup.  Yup.

Oooh, ketchup chips. Does this snack-food phenomenon even exist south of the border? :wub:

When a high school friend moved away to California, he begged a group of us to regularly send him care packages containing, among other things, king-sized bags of Hostess ketchup-flavoured chips.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My particular Canadian touch is that the chip flavour has to be Ketchup.  Yup.

Oooh, ketchup chips. Does this snack-food phenomenon even exist south of the border? :wub:

When a high school friend moved away to California, he begged a group of us to regularly send him care packages containing, among other things, king-sized bags of Hostess ketchup-flavoured chips.

I can't find ketchup chips here in the U.S. But my biggest culinary disappointment is the lack of Coffee Crisp chocolate bars. (They make a nice, light snack.) :)

I used to take soft white rolls, put ketchup, mustard, and cheese (sliced american of course) and pickle chips.

Also, another one would be a fried bologna, fried egg, mustard, american cheese - grilled of course - we called it the Dagwood - I don't know why but we loved it.

I also used to LOVE putting sliced swiss, you know the icky singles version that tastes nothing like swiss, on white bread with plenty of mayo, salt, pepper and crushed up fritos.

I would probably eat them today if I thought I could get away with it and no one would ever find out!

But my biggest culinary disappointment is the lack of Coffee Crisp chocolate bars.  (They make a nice, light snack.) :)

On Valentine's Day this year, stores sold solid chocolate hearts with little bits of Coffee Crisp sprinkled throughout them. Those didn't last long at our house... and, because they were mini hearts, they truly were a "nice light snack".

Joie Alvaro Kent

Black bread, onion, liverwurst, and horseradish mixed with applesauce. Best breakfast in the world before going out to milk cows while it's still dark; especially if you come back in and have apple pie with cheese when through.

Aha! Another liverwurst fan! My family had a similar favorite sandwich I nicknamed the Stinkbomb Special--thick slabs of liverwurst and raw onion with spicy mustard on sturdy pumpernickel. Wonder how that would have played with a horseradish/applesauce spread. (I'm grooving on the horseradish idea; just not quite so sure about the applesauce part...)

Sardine sandwiches were in regular rotation as my take-to-school lunch fare when I was a kid. I loved 'em so much I frankly didn't give a damn whether other kids might think they were weird.

Never was moved to try Harriet the Spy's tomato sandwiches, but my mom did teach me to make little open-face "pizza" sandwiches--take an English muffin half, top with a slice of American cheese, put a slice of tomato on top of that, sprinkle with oregano, broil in the toaster-oven till cheese is melty.

I LOVE white onion sandwiches - white bread (no crusts), obscene amounts of mayonnaise; eye-stinging white onion shaved thin.  Lots of cracked pepper and parsley.

Hooray for onion sandwiches!

Onion Sandwiches...Mmmm....

I prefer red onions. Sometimes sauted garlic and fresh pepper...

Lordy

Peanut Butter and Hellman's mayo on Wonder Bread...Wonderful. This was a fave of mine as a kid and I still eat them.

Peanut butter and sweetened condense milk on toast with the crust trimmed.

Sliced tongue and mayo on wheat.

Chinese roast pork, and mayo.

Egg over easy, fried bologna, and kraft cheese-food and cracked pepper sandwich. (messy egg).

Fried egg, salt, fresh pepper and mayo on wonder.

Canned salmon salad w/ chopped red onion and tons of cracked pepper and Baco-Bits or crushed potato chips. Thick cut, rippled sour cream and onion chips are prefered.

Hellman's Sandwich Spread (relish and mayo spread) on wonder. Haven't had this in years.

Thick sliced liverwurst, white onion, black pepper and mayo.

(jeeze, I never realized how much mayo I ate as a kid)

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this whole thread for the first time yesterday I was inspired at the usually-grim Marriott breakfast buffett this AM and made a peanut butter, bacon, pickled jalepeno, and banana sandwich on whole grain bread. It was fabulous and my ignorant colleagues didn't know what they were missing.

After reading this whole thread for the first time yesterday I was inspired at the usually-grim Marriott breakfast buffett this AM and made a peanut butter, bacon, pickled jalepeno, and banana sandwich on whole grain bread.  It was fabulous and my ignorant colleagues didn't know what they were missing.

Apart from the peanut butter (not a fan except in cookies) that sounds really good!

My Dad reminded me of another one - but I think this may be uniquely English public school (or uniquely my Dad - can't quite decide which) - Sensodyne toothpaste (the pink stuff) between two pieces of squishy white bread - whole wheat will do in a pinch, but for the full experience it's gotta be white. I knew the food could be bad at English schools, but this takes the cake. While I know I used to eat the stuff, putting it between slices of bread seems a bit weird.

Cream cheese and Olives on white bread. The olives were the green ones with the weird pimento bit in the middle. This is the only thing for which I use those olives.

Peanut butter and Honey on whole wheat bread. Spread peanut butter on one half, honey on the other. Warm them in the oven. Remove from oven. Smoosh together. Wait one minute (tick tick tick). Eat. If you don't wait, you will have nuclear hot peanut butter/honey concotion glued to the roof of you mouth. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Peanut butter, mashed banana, a dash of Aunt Jemima syrup...beaten together and spread on Wonder bread.

And our school had an immense bowl of peanut butter/honey mixture right at the end of the food line, next to the split-open bags of Wonder Bread. I remember seeing some of the "country" children making five or six sandwiches of this. Could have been their only meal of the day.

And WHERE in literature is the little vignette about the schoolchild who mentioned that the teacher brought her OWN lunch of a baguette with bits of chocolate scattered inside. It was wrapped in waxed paper and placed in the teacher's chair, where she sat on it until lunchtime, when it was eaten warm, squashed, and melty. Kind of a primitive panini, I suppose.

The juxtaposition of that staid, dignified woman, clad in sensible suits and ladylike shoes, sitting all morning on a sandwich which she later consumed, fascinated both me AND the storyteller. ANYONE remember this?

Cream cheese and Olives on white bread. The olives were the green ones with the weird pimento bit in the middle. This is the only thing for which I use those olives.

Peanut butter and Honey on whole wheat bread. Spread peanut butter on one half, honey on the other. Warm them in the oven. Remove from oven. Smoosh together. Wait one minute (tick tick tick). Eat. If you don't wait, you will have nuclear hot peanut butter/honey concotion glued to the roof of you mouth.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

Not too far off from the sandwiches of my childhood. My Mom used to make me Cheez Whiz and pimiento sandwiches on white bread. If served one today, I'd demolish it in 2.2 seconds flat.

And I still love the combination of peanut butter and honey. Haven't tried them nuked, but it does sound delicious.

Joie Alvaro Kent

Last week I went to make myself a Ham sandwich so got the bread, slathered on the dijon and went to the the fridge to get the ham. Whoops, I had already finished. And lo, the mustard sandwich was born!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Me: crunchy peanut butter and raisins on wholemeal bread. Like Cadbury's fruit and nut without the chocolate. Yum...

Boyfriend: last night's leftover takeaway curry - heated up - between slices of white toast. Eugh...