• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Bits Between Bread

My cousin-in-law used to eat salt sandwiches -- just a heavy sprinkle of salt on a slice of white bread topped with another slice.

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

Anything with condensed milk, perferably on cheap white bread

-Melted Butter, Condensed Milk with a sprinkle of sugar

-Peanut Butter & Condensed Milk

Nutella, and banana placed on a slice of baguette then it goes into the oven. When it is done, add some whipped cream.

Yakisoba with some mayo :wub:

Now here's a question. I've noticed that most of the posts on this thread, mine included, talk about sandwiches on cheap white bread (of the Wonder Bread ilk) as one of our guilty pleasures. Is that due to the shame associated with eating it... never, ever letting anyone else know that the alter ego to our multigrain/whole wheat/rye/pumpernickel eating self has indulged in so lowly a loaf?

Hmmm...

:huh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

For myself, as a kid and until I had my own household of sprouts, I lived on home-raised and produced food. And being as perverse as kids are, I loved all the stuff we now consider 'empty' food. Give me 'sliced bread', lipton dry soup mix, tunafish, and storebought mayo---whoeee.....hog heaven!!

And although I'm more informed now, there are still little back-sliding events. But not something I can't control :rolleyes:

Oh..I forgot about my German gramps' favorite Spring sammich: fresh bread, butter, and radish with pepper and salt. Yum!

Please excuse the ignorance (or, perhaps, impudence) here, but I thought that a "burger" was necessarily a patty, or rissole of meat between two peices of bread or encased in a bun.............thus, a "burger", sans bread, ceases to be a "burger", and becomes a meat patty, or rissole..........am I wrong?

Is it perhaps a cultural thing - not hailing from Nth America......

Possibly we still say "burger" because the long name for the slab of ground meat, "hamburger patty" is just too much for us. :biggrin:

Thanks SCE! I'll remember that in future discourse (not with you, but "the others"! :raz::wink: )

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

Now here's a question.  I've noticed that most of the posts on this thread, mine included, talk about sandwiches on cheap white bread (of the Wonder Bread ilk) as one of our guilty pleasures.  Is that due to the shame associated with eating it... never, ever letting anyone else know that the alter ego to our multigrain/whole wheat/rye/pumpernickel eating self has indulged in so lowly a loaf?

Hmmm...

For me it was a great treat as a kid to be able to go to birthday parties etc and have 'fairy bread': sliced white bread (usually crusts off), with butter or margarine and 'hundreds and thousands' (multi-coloured sprinkles that, I think, are just coloured sugar...?).

It wasn't until I was about 10 or 11 that we even had white rice or pasta at home, and we certainly NEVER had white bread or candy, so you can imagine the likelihood that I would have been allowed to have something so lacking in nutritional value.

Funny thing is that I have zero desire to eat stuff like that now. Makes me feel kinda queasy, actually. :wacko:

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

Now here's a question.  I've noticed that most of the posts on this thread, mine included, talk about sandwiches on cheap white bread (of the Wonder Bread ilk) as one of our guilty pleasures.  Is that due to the shame associated with eating it... never, ever letting anyone else know that the alter ego to our multigrain/whole wheat/rye/pumpernickel eating self has indulged in so lowly a loaf?

Hmmm...

In my day, the early sixties and so on, it wasn't as readily apparent as it is now that this bread was basically air. All we knew was, it was available at the base commissary where my mom did most of the family shopping. And she worked, which left little time for her to bake bread in any case. Nowadays, I seldom eat bread. Cause and effect? I'd have to give that some serious thought.

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

My guillty pleasure in sandwich form was pickle and bacon on sheepherder bread.

I don't remember just when I had the first one but I can remember sitting on the veranda outside the kitchen and munching through one and drinking buttermilk.

Years later, when I was in the midst of pregnancy, I suddenly developed a yen for this and would take the fixings along with me to work.

I take a long slice of bread or the crust sliced off the side of a long loaf, sheepherder works too, then put on a layer of bread and butter pickles then several strips (or a layer of crumbled) bacon.

Roll it up into a cylinder. Consume, goes really good with buttermilk.

My boss couldn't stay in the room when I was eating it. He thought it was gross.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hmmm...

ahh..wait a minute....

wasn't it Wonder Bread that said

"Helps build strong bodies 12 ways"?

I know that my Mom thought that it was actually good for my brothers and I.

My all time favorite- a fresh hamburger roll, one slice of white american cheese (Land O Lakes is best) thick layer of potato chips (Wise, if possible) topped with a sprinkle of red wine vinegar and another slice of cheese. Press together to crumble the chips and try to eat without the filling spilling everywhere. My husband mocks me, but what the hell does he know?!!

My cousin-in-law used to eat salt sandwiches -- just a heavy sprinkle of salt on a slice of white bread topped with another slice.

When I was a kid I'd make butter and salt sandwiches. Haven't thought about it in years... mmmmmmm, butter and salt sandwiches........! :laugh:
ahh..wait a minute....

wasn't it Wonder Bread that said

"Helps build strong bodies 12 ways"?

I know that my Mom thought that it was actually good for my brothers and I.

I was actually in a Wonder Bread commercial when I was in kindergarten. I'm pretty sure my mom was embarassed about it, since we were never given Wonder Bread, but it was part of a field trip our class took to the local Wonder Bread factory. I still remember the little miniature loaves of Wonder Bread we were each given after the tour! I only saw the commercial once; I think it only aired (locally in Washington, DC) a few times. Later, I think Wonder Bread had to admit they couldn't come up with 12 ways it "helped build strong bodies"! :shock:

Cheers,

Squeat

I was actually in a Wonder Bread commercial when I was in kindergarten. I'm pretty sure my mom was embarassed about it, since we were never given Wonder Bread, but it was part of a field trip our class took to the local Wonder Bread factory. I still remember the little miniature loaves of Wonder Bread we were each given after the tour! I only saw the commercial once; I think it only aired (locally in Washington, DC) a few times. Later, I think Wonder Bread had to admit they couldn't come up with 12 ways it "helped build strong bodies"! :shock:

Cheers,

Squeat

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't mine, nor would I try this, but I did find exceptionally odd, and I like odd things. (There's a reason I'm hear) I work in a hospital and we have a cafeteria with a deli. While waiting for my toast, I overheard the order of the gentleman at the deli counter. He asked for a tuna sandwich. Normal right. I looked over and he was also having a heaping scoop of Egg salad placed upon the tuna fish. Ummm...Tuna salad...then Egg salad....with noting separating the two? Seemed a little odd to me...but maybe not.

Leftover fried spinach sandwich - but the bread has to be robust in order to withstand the oily wetty thing that happens with spinach.

Never grew up with the PB&J but recently someone introduced me to the PB and marmalade sandwich delicious...

Also yummy Branston pickle and cheddar.

in the gross but was strangely compelled to eat them category:

crustfree squishy white bread, heavily buttered, and then generously mayo'd and a soppy drooping spear of canned asparagus rolled into a puffy log of toothless wonder! Hey I guess it's another version of the spinach sandwich

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Mmmmm... Branston pickle and cheddar! I first had that while travelling in England, and I'm so glad I can find Branston pickle easily here.

I came home on Friday, and A. was eating something that looked rather peculiar. I asked him what it was:

Ezekiel bread (toasted)

natural peanut butter

raspberry fruit spread

processed cheez slices

It wasn't bad. I thought it would've been even better grilled, so that the processed cheez got all ooey-gooey, but I didn't put it to the test.

I haven't done this in years. It is a throwback to my childhood when my grandmother would fix this for me to shut me up. You take a really good soft white bread, preferably homemade by my Great Aunt Minnie. :biggrin: Trim the crusts and apply a generous slather of good butter to both pieces. Apply a liberal amount of sugar. Smush the two halves together to trap the sugar in the butter. I can feel the sweet crunch of the sugar now.  :wub:

My brother used to make this exact sandwich when we were kids (and Mom asn't watching) but he added sweetened flake coconut to it as well.

Then there was the "chicken sandwich" that a small local BBQ shack in my town used to serve. It was a complete chicken leg with bones, drenched in fiery BBQ sauce and served between two pieces of white bread. The bread was just used to sop up the juice - you couldn't eat it as a sandwich but they called it one.

All this is tempting me to make my childhood favorite right now - a sweet condensed milk sandwich. :wub:

1. Oh man. Condensed Milk is SO good! We pour it over hot, toasty Filipino Pan de Sal rolls. Slightly crispy on the outside... soft and fluffy on the inside... with warm condensed milk seeping through all the crags and crevices. Your hands will get sticky.

I like the condensed milk that you scrape off the inside walls and bottom of the can. It's crystally and gritty and thick...

2. Slices of Persian cucumbers on heavy, seedy bread. Lots of sweet/hot mustard. Slather of good mayonnaise. Grinding of kosher salt and an obscenely generous cover of freshly ground pepper. Thinly sliced raw red onions are a good addition as well.

3. Has anyone every heard of Peanut Butter Hamburgers? Apparently this was a big thing in the 50's at drive-up burger stands. I read something about it in an old L.A. Times recipe book, I think.

Basically, you slap some peanut butter on a regular hamburger. I've done really good and sloppy versions. I like using crunchy peanut butter. Of course, you've gotta have the requisite lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, etc. And a nice squirt of Sriracha doesn't hurt!

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

Franco-American spaghetti and bacon sandwich on Wonder.

Oh the shame :rolleyes:

MMMMMMMM Bacon.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I have enjoyed spaghetti sandwiches ever since I was a kid, (I'm 40). I like it hot, saucy, and meaty, scooped onto a piece of garlic toast, folded into the shape of a taco.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

This isn't mine, nor would I try this, but I did find exceptionally odd, and I like odd things.  (There's a reason I'm hear)  I work in a hospital and we have a cafeteria with a deli.  While waiting for my toast, I overheard the order of the gentleman at the deli counter.  He asked for a tuna sandwich.  Normal right.  I looked over and he was also having a heaping scoop of Egg salad placed upon the tuna fish.  Ummm...Tuna salad...then Egg salad....with noting separating the two?  Seemed a little odd to me...but maybe not.

I used to make tuna, egg and potato salad. i wouldn't eat it with bread, but i sure would eat it by itself.

with raw onion and celery, some relish, and paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Sugar and butter sandwich eaters -- did you use white sugar or brown sugar?

I always used brown sugar.  Brown sugar and peanutbutter is goood too.

White sugar, baby! Yummm.

Oh yeah, condensed milk and jam on toast is tasty.

Sometimes if I have any left over, I make a roasted chicken skin sandwich. *sigh* You would think with all the skinless chicken breasts for sale in the world, someone could sell fried chicken skin without the pesky meat. :biggrin: