• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Bits Between Bread

Today, I was chatting with my mom, and she admitted to once having adored chow mein sandwiches. On hamburger buns, apparently. This from a woman who used to be amused by a fellow we knew who ate lasagna sandwiches on rye toast.

I once had a boyfriend who liked peanut butter and dill pickles, but I will admit that peanut butter at least is a sandwichy item. So are pickles for that matter. Together? Oy!

What's your secret sandwich? :hmmm:

:laugh::laugh:

Edited by StudentChefEclipse (log)

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

I haven't done this in years. It is a throwback to my childhood when my grandmother would fix this for me to shut me up. You take a really good soft white bread, preferably homemade by my Great Aunt Minnie. :biggrin: Trim the crusts and apply a generous slather of good butter to both pieces. Apply a liberal amount of sugar. Smush the two halves together to trap the sugar in the butter. I can feel the sweet crunch of the sugar now. :wub:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

When my husband was in college, sometimes he was too broke to have anything but jam sandwiches. Jam two pieces of bread together and eat!

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

My Father made stinky cheese i.e. blue and fried bologna sandwiches . I later made them grilled which were even better. :biggrin:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I haven't done this in years. It is a throwback to my childhood when my grandmother would fix this for me to shut me up. You take a really good soft white bread, preferably homemade by my Great Aunt Minnie. :biggrin: Trim the crusts and apply a generous slather of good butter to both pieces. Apply a liberal amount of sugar. Smush the two halves together to trap the sugar in the butter. I can feel the sweet crunch of the sugar now.  :wub:

Ooooh, sugar bread! Nostalgia... takes me right back to the Wonder Bread days before I converted my Mom to the joys of whole wheat, multigrain and light rye. We used to do the same thing except open faced in order to get a direct hit of sugar. Can also be served on white toast, except that the thick schmear of butter melts and it doesn't taste quite as good. Great. Now I wanna go and make me some. Does this mean I have to hit an all-night grocery store for some white bread? :huh:

My other secret sammich? Buttered bread, plain cream cheese and jam. Any kind of jam will do, but strawberry and blackcurrant are the faves.

Oh yeah. And mayonnaise sandwiches on white bread when I was a kid.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My dad used to eat peanut butter/jelly/lettuce/cheese/mayo sandwiches. :blink: But then he had essentially no sense of taste or smell, so the texture was right for him.

I must confess to (Atkins folks close your ears and avert your eyes!) spaghetti and sauce on garlic bread.

And raisin/green apple/cream cheese on rye.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

CHIP BUTTIES

oh god yes. and, in a marvellous variation, the crisp [American = chip] butty. One slice buttered white bread, top with packet salt + vinegar flavour crisps, add second slice buttered white bread, press slightly with palm of hand to crush crisps + ensure they adhere to butter.

This healthy foodstuff comes to you from Scotland, the land (or should that be 'lard') that also gave you the deepfried Mars Bar.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

When I was younger one of my sisters friend's introduced me to the joys of the popcorn sandwhich.

White bread, and store bought neon-orange cheese popcorn straight out of the bag with just enough mayo or melted cheese to hold it all together.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

heh, these are great... I was a camp counselor in college. We experimented with those pudgie pie makers (sandwich irons). http://www.firepies.com/irons.html

I remember some weird concoctions, canned peaches and jelly beans anyone? (ugh) My favorite though was marshmallow, banana and chocolate chips. Yum.

We also did those open faced sugar sandwiches, however, we got creative and tossed them on the griddle to fry like french toast making it a whole new delicious animal.

also, see my signature line. My dad must not have any taste buds left either.

Edited by Cusina (log)

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

None of you guys ever ate a leftover mushy sauced spaghetti and white bread sandwich?

Best eaten cold, in front of the fridge, with lots of black pepper. The only authentic way to do it is to pile a forkful of spaghetti on one piece of bread and fold it over - none of that fancy two-pieces stuff here.

eunnyjang, my mother ate spaghetti sandwiches exactly as you describe. Other favorites of hers were cold potato salad sandwiches and cold rice dressing (dirty rice) sandwiches.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

the leftover thanksgiving special? anyone?

the mashed potato & stuffing sandwich...my mom's gravy was repulsive so we never ate it - though i can see the general appeal of gravy. i used to add ambrosia* to mine for that hint of sweetness. side of sweet gherkins. eaten with hand still dripping with gherkin juice. like a wild carbohydrate-blissed animal.

(*and yes, it is divine. drained canned pineapple, tons of mandarin oranges, a bit of flaked coconut, mini marshmallows that bloat and foam by day 2 - bound together with a healthy dollop of sour cream)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

When I was in high school I would thinly slice potatoes, carrots and onions, saute them in lots of butter, and make a sandwich with Muenster cheese on a hard roll with the vegetables. A lot of effort for a sandwich, but it tasted really good. Could never convince anyone else in my family of its merits, however.

fried bologna

Umm, fried Bologna! I was just reminiscing with a friend about fried bologna the other day. I used to love how it puffed up in the middle and the flat part got browned bits...of course, I'm talking oscar mayer here. And taking that little red ring of plastic off was like a treat.

Open-faced oven-grilled cheese with kraft singles that also puffed up and browned: crisp plastic cheese on the outside and melted on the inside.

2 other childhood faves: white bread, mayo & charles chips sandwiches and a McD hamburger that I would open up and stack a layer of french fries on and eat.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali