• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Bits Between Bread

• 3 weeks later...
None of you guys ever ate a leftover mushy sauced spaghetti and white bread sandwich?

Best eaten cold, in front of the fridge, with lots of black pepper.  The only authentic way to do it is to pile a forkful of spaghetti on one piece of bread and fold it over - none of that fancy two-pieces stuff here.

!!!!!!This was me!! Sans the pepper, add a whopping load of green can parmesan cheese! So funny! We used to always put potatoe chips or doritos in any meat/cheese sandwich. Always loved the textured crunch with the soft white bread.

Ooooh, reading thru the thread I remembered a peanut butter and hot cocoa mix (the dry kind) sandwich. Tended to be a little dry sometimes, like eating dust but the chocolate/peanutbutter combo couldn't be beat!

The gross one is my husband swears was the favorite growing up was Welch's grape jelly and Kraft sliced cheese on white bread...ugh!

Edited by Genny (log)

• 1 year later...

Some of my favorites, many from childhood, all on white bread unless otherwise indicated :biggrin: :

- Sardines (packed in oil of course or the ones packed with oil and chilies) on white bread with onions, mayo, black pepper and hot sauce. If I have any, will add chunks of cream cheese

- Egg salad BLT on toasted potato bread

- Bologna, Kraft American Cheese, and potato chips with mayo

- The hot dog sandwich: boil and slice or just split hot dogs, place on bread with mayo and ketchup, or even Miracle Whip and ketchup, sometimes add mustard too.

- Peanut Butter and sugar, preferably on buttered whole wheat or raisin bread toast

- Open-faced applesauce sandwiches on buttered cinnamon toast (thanks for reminding me of that one Mabelline)

- Spaghetti sandwich on white. I know this has been mentioned a couple of times, but mine was unique.:blink: The one I remember from childhood was often made with canned spaghetti with "meat" sauce, Chef Boyardee I think, and the "meat" were these little booger-sized tidbits of meat. I would mix this with bbq sauce and a bit of hot sauce, heat it up and slap some Kraft cheese on it.

- And one of the best sandwiches you can't find any more: the fried chicken wing (the whole wings dammit!) sandwich, wings smothered with mambo sauce slapped between two pieces of white bread from Mr. T's Carryout. Hot, greasy, crispy skin, wonderful wing meat, and orangey-red mambo sauce. What a delicious mess. Oh how I miss that sandwich and that sauce.

Never had a peanut butter and bacon sandwich, but I'll try it; I think I'll have to add apple jelly to my version though. :rolleyes:

Can't remember who said it upthread, but he/she had an idea for using all that wonderful chicken skin from those boneless, skinless chicken breasts and create some kind of fried chicken skin sandwich. Yum.

One of the worst sandwiches ever was served to us in elementary school: institutional peanut butter and thick slices of institutional cheese. :blink: Can we say constipation?

Edited 'cause I'm tired and keep making typos.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I haven't done this in years. It is a throwback to my childhood when my grandmother would fix this for me to shut me up. You take a really good soft white bread, preferably homemade by my Great Aunt Minnie. :biggrin: Trim the crusts and apply a generous slather of good butter to both pieces. Apply a liberal amount of sugar. Smush the two halves together to trap the sugar in the butter. I can feel the sweet crunch of the sugar now.  :wub:

My mom would make butter and sugar sandwiches for us as very young kids for fear that we were too thin. She liked to fatten us up and did an excellent good job.

She also liked the onion and mayo sandwich for herself as I recall.

A friend of mine told me once that late one Thanksgiving eve he went to make himself a turkey sandwich only to find that the turkey had been completely stripped bare by the hordes he had hosted for the holiday feast.

He ended up make a stuffing sandwich. How's that for redundancy? :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Wow, this is some thread...actually made me a little queasy. But then, I don't like squishy white bread, mayo, american cheese, or most of the other things mentioned. I think I was most impressed by the sushi on russian bread and all the carb on carb combos (spaghetti, chow mein, mashed potatoes, etc).

I'm a fan of opening up grilled cheese sandwiches and putting french fries in there. Extra good with bacon, too. However, it kinda makes me sick from all the grease, so I haven't had it in years. Another one I had the other day that I never would have come up with on my own was a chile relleno torta--2 chile rellenos, black beans, avocado, lettuc, tomato, more cheese on top, all on a roll. It was really, really good, but so wrong.

Oooh! Bread stuffing sandwich with a drizzle of gravy! Yum, carbs between two slabs of carbs!

When I was little, I used to eat Ovaltine sandwiches -- white bread, butter, a couple tablespoons of Ovaltine mix sprinkled in between.

Edited by Beebs (log)

Most of these don't sound all that bizarre to me, but I've never been adverse to mixing food flavors together. I've had a leftover spaghetti sandwich on garlic toast, I've had the peanut butter/banana/bacon/mayo on raisin bread, I always flip my burger open to add a layer of fries and some mayo. But I was always fond of peanut butter/homemade sandplum jam/chocolate Quik powder on toast.

My mother, by the way, was a big childhood fan of the grilled cheese and mustard sandwich, hold the cheese. Her Dad ran a drugstore/lunch counter, and he made her grilled mustard sandwiches for an afternoon snack. :wacko:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I remember being left on my own for an hour or so when I was very little and so to satisfy a fleeting curiosity, I made myself a bread sandwich.

It was very much like eating three slices of bread. A dissapointment, even at that age.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I hate to even tell about this, but in college my friend Leo, an inveterate prankster, made a partridge gut and shit sandwich. :huh:

He cut it on a neat diagonal, put it into a cardboard sandwich holder salvaged from the garbage near the vending machines at school, and then wrapped it neatly in plastic wrap. :unsure:

Then Leo went back to the sandwich vending machine and purchased a normal sandwich which he replaced with his PG&S sandwich. :wacko:

We didn't stick around to see who got the "special" lunch! :shock:

SB (ashamed of hinself :wink: )

Two favorites from a Singapore childhood:

1. An otah sandwich. Otah is fish paste mixed with chili and coconut milk and grilled. Layered between two slices of lightly toasted and buttered white bread. Yummy!

2. A pork floss sandwich. Pork floss (I'm not quite sure how to describe this - it's called Bak Hu in the Hokkien dialect, and I think it is dessicated dried pork) also layered between two slices of lightly buttered white bread. Mmm.

My favourite as a child and through my teens was a canned salmon sandwich on white fluff bread, spread thickly with French's mustard. No other ingredients. The salmon was usually Atlantic red (not the cheap pink stuff) and for some reason my mother never seems to have gotten upset at this seemingly horrendous waste of expensive fish.

I've had one a few times since. It's still good. The sour bite of the mustard goes perfectly with the salmon; other, fancier mustards don't seem to work as well. Try it!

Edited by Dukeofyork (log)

I made myself a bread sandwich.

My daughter up until recently would eat a hot dog with out the hot dog.

A hot dog bun with mustard and katsup. Funny thing is, it taste like a hot dog since many hot dogs today don't have that much flavor on their own.

I think I already came clean about my white bread, mayo & potato chip childhood habit. However, the regular or ranch flavored doritos also make a good substitute. And I have a vague memory of smooth peanut butter, sliced bananas drizzled with honey sandwiched between whole wheat bread. Why, I think the whole wheat just about makes it a health food snack.

Also, there is some coconut toast spread thing out there that we used to get at Stuckeys that tastes mighty fine between two slices of bread.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I haven't done this in years. It is a throwback to my childhood when my grandmother would fix this for me to shut me up. You take a really good soft white bread, preferably homemade by my Great Aunt Minnie. :biggrin: Trim the crusts and apply a generous slather of good butter to both pieces. Apply a liberal amount of sugar. Smush the two halves together to trap the sugar in the butter. I can feel the sweet crunch of the sugar now.  :wub:

My mom would make butter and sugar sandwiches for us as very young kids for fear that we were too thin. She liked to fatten us up and did an excellent good job...

AIIII! OMG! So I'm not weird that I do this! Yes, I feel vindicated! I loved doing the whole butter/sugar combo on bread. Oh my goodness. YUMMY!

I love taking squishy white bread and running it through a frying pans that contain the dregs of just-fried bacon. A bit o' grease and alot of crispy bits. Is this bad?