• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza cut into squares...a Chicago thing?

Born and raised eating Chicago round- thin crust pizzas cut into squares. As a kid, we would fight over the center squares-no crust and the pieces were fully saturated with cheese.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Born and raised eating Chicago round- thin crust pizzas cut into squares. As a kid, we would fight over the center squares-no border crust and the pieces were fully covered with cheese. As an adult, we now fight over the outside pieces- for the hard edges that are not totally covered with the toppings.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I prefer the square slices for their eatability.  But I dislike them because most of the slices have no crust.

You'll notice on the Barnaby's pie pictured in my blog that only 4 of the pieces are completely devoid of crust. At my house, those are always the last 4 left in the box...ymmv :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

St. Louis Imo's pizza is thin almost cracker like crust cut into squares. Plus it features the infamous and oft maligned PROVEL cheese (I believe it is a mix of smoked mozzerella and provolone).

Regular consumers are almost all familiar with Imo's Pizza Burn which comes when piping hot cheese sticks to the roof of your mouth.

DD

And it should be noted that St. Louis Style pizza is a round pizza cut into squares. Which leaves these 4 awkward little corner pieces with little or no toppings that no one ever wants to eat (until there isnt' anything left).

Bill Russell

St. Louis Imo's pizza is thin almost cracker like crust cut into squares. Plus it features the infamous and oft maligned PROVEL cheese (I believe it is a mix of smoked mozzerella and provolone).

Regular consumers are almost all familiar with Imo's Pizza Burn which comes when piping hot cheese sticks to the roof of your mouth.

DD

And it should be noted that St. Louis Style pizza is a round pizza cut into squares. Which leaves these 4 awkward little corner pieces with little or no toppings that no one ever wants to eat (until there isnt' anything left).

Damn! I love those little "preview" corners :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Damn!  I love those little "preview" corners
I actually like those "corner" pieces & I often grab one & pop it into my mouth right after I open up the pizza box. Nice & crispy. mmm
I'll fight you BOTH for them!

How about we take on corner each. Everybody else gets the center.

I prefer the square slices for their eatability.  But I dislike them because most of the slices have no crust.

You'll notice on the Barnaby's pie pictured in my blog that only 4 of the pieces are completely devoid of crust. At my house, those are always the last 4 left in the box...ymmv :smile:

=R=

I think this is what strikes me as the worst aspect of this shocking practice, of which I had never before heard. Why slice a round pizza into squares? Why on earth forgo the much more logical radiant slice standard, in which each piece contains the best of both worlds: the cheesy center and the crusty crust? This sort of thing strikes me as distinctly inegalitarian, and can only lead to contention and infighting amongst the ranks.
I'll fight you BOTH for them!
See?

If anyone had asserted to me last week that this was done routinely at multiple pizza houses, I would have scoffed!

I have only witnessed square slicing of rectangular pies, and that at only one place here in San Francisco, which serves a very different style of pizza (they call it "Sicilian"), which has a thick, bready dough, the outer edge of which does not differ substantially from the cut edge.

Question: is this done to Chicago's famous deep-dish pies as well?

Appalled,

Squeat

I spent 5 of the best summers of my life in the middle of nowhere Maryland at sleep away camp.

Every Sunday night we had pizza. It was square. We used to joke that they made it a different shape so we wouldn't pay attention to the taste :biggrin: But we fought over the middle pieces where there was the most cheese and sauce. There's nothing like a slice of pizza that is covered end to end with cheese and sauce.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

As previous posts show, those little 'throwaway' triangles in the corners are highly prized. As are the middle piece, with no outside edge. Even the best pizza makers find it challenging to get the sauce, the cheese and the toppings all the way to the very edge. The Center Squares (suddenly I am thinking of Charles Nelson Reilly, odd) have all of the best stuff on every square millimeter!

DD