• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How would you describe your style?

Thanks very much for giving us the chance to know more about you and your cooking.

I'd like to know how would you define your style. The question about the daily menuquestion about the daily menu gives me an idea of some of its defining characteristics, but perhaps you could offer some more detail.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Thanks very much for giving us the chance to know more about you and your cooking.

I'd like to know how would you define your style. The question about the daily menuquestion about the daily menu  gives me an idea of some of its defining characteristics, but perhaps you could offer some more detail.

I get asked this question alot. People generally try and define cooking by French, Italian, Asian, etc.. I try not to be limited to those boundaries. My career has taken me many places and I have seen many styles of food. I truly try and cook for the moment, based on the ingredieants and to what my whim of the day is. On any given day you will see many phylosophies of food. Did I spell that right? Anyway, Asian, Italian, Southern, New England, French, Creole, American will all be on the menu. My technique is based on French but I love all types of food. I define it as Seasonal International cuisine. The seasons are the most important thing in my cooking. We wont search out ingredients that are not in season in my region, or at least in america...except truffles and the like.

I know its vague. Its always a challenge to define and it may always be that way. Hope this helps

Edited by Richard Hamilton (log)

Thanks for the answer. I know it must be difficult for you to define your style.

Since you wrote about seasonal products in your region, which are right now in season? which would be available in winter?

Another style related question that comes to my mind is your view about long tasting menus compared to the more common (thought is becoming rarer in Spain) approach around starter, main dish, dessert.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Thanks for the answer. I know it must be difficult for you to define your style.

Since you wrote about seasonal products in your region, which are right now in season? which would be available in winter?

Another style related question that comes to my mind is your view about long tasting menus compared to the more common (thought is becoming rarer in Spain) approach around starter, main dish, dessert.

Pedro, Im sorry for the delay. I thought I answered this one and it didnt seem to post so Ill try again.

Right now, corn is finishing, halibut is abundant winter squashes, greens and the like here. Great beets, rhutabegas, turnips etc. Apples and winter fruits, various potatoes etc.

also its white truffle season in france and i just love those

As far as the menu: I like multi courses rather than 2-3 course dinners. Basically its due to the fact I believe in quality over quanity. I like alot of varied tastes throughout a meal rather than 2 or 3 very large portions of something. THis way isnt for everyone but it works for me.

I'd like to know how would you define your style. The question about the daily menuquestion about the daily menu  gives me an idea of some of its defining characteristics, but perhaps you could offer some more detail.

I get asked this question alot. People generally try and define cooking by French, Italian, Asian, etc.. I try not to be limited to those boundaries. My career has taken me many places and I have seen many styles of food. I truly try and cook for the moment, based on the ingredieants and to what my whim of the day is. On any given day you will see many phylosophies of food. Did I spell that right? Anyway, Asian, Italian, Southern, New England, French, Creole, American will all be on the menu. My technique is based on French but I love all types of food. I define it as Seasonal International cuisine. The seasons are the most important thing in my cooking. We wont search out ingredients that are not in season in my region, or at least in america...except truffles and the like.

I know its vague. Its always a challenge to define and it may always be that way. Hope this helps

I can't understand you better for your words similarly resonate like mine too..

Though undoubtedly people refer to home cooking, as mine refers to cooking for home, as being too dissimilar to professional, it is too true that one only reflects the other in a true way..

I've known housewives cooking in general for a crowd of 23-30 on those days before when we were kids and many do today too in many traditions in many cultures even today.. so I'm not surprised that I have inherited this ability and sense of it too.. Definitely as professionals Chefs must borrow some from their long ago families too which as time goes by we have ingnored..

Love to hear from you since on a day to day basis I prepare meals at home some times for friends but occasionally.. and I experience the same spur of the moment cooking and I'd call it a challenge too but none the less enjoyable experience to create for others based on the ingredients at hand and letting your emotions and inspiration do the rest for you.. it is easy then very easy and you 'll do it cause you enjoy doing it thus and anyother forced manipulations are those of planning for hours before for ingredients.. I know it is a departure and people desist from doing this sort of thigs but then nothing new can happen before you really let go of our inhibitions to true creative potential in us all of us together.. really to enjoy the creativity is to encourage so all of you who praise the potential in you are understandably doing a greater service than anything else for you and all others in this place for us :wacko::wink:

With Regards to all participation in this revealing process of ingenuity :smile:

Geetha

I can't understand you better for your words similarly resonate like mine too..

Though undoubtedly people refer to home cooking, as mine refers to cooking for home, as being too dissimilar to professional, it is too true that one only reflects the other in a true way..

I've known housewives cooking in general for a crowd of 23-30 on those days before when we were kids and many do today too in many traditions in many cultures even today.. so I'm not surprised that I have inherited this ability and sense of it too.. Definitely as professionals Chefs must borrow some from their long ago families too which as time goes by we have ingnored..

Love to hear from you since on a day to day basis I prepare meals at home some times for friends but occasionally.. and I experience the same spur of the moment cooking and I'd call it a challenge too but none the less enjoyable experience to create for others based on the ingredients at hand and letting your emotions and inspiration do the rest for you.. it is easy then very easy and you 'll do it cause you enjoy doing it thus and anyother forced manipulations are those of planning for hours before for ingredients.. I know it is a departure and people desist from doing this sort of thigs but then nothing new can happen before you really let go of our inhibitions to true creative potential in us all of us together.. really to enjoy the creativity is to encourage so all of you who praise the potential in you are understandably doing a greater service than anything else for you and all others in this place for us :wacko::wink:

With Regards to all participation in this revealing process of ingenuity :smile:

Geetha

Geetha, Thats very nice. Your words are true. We all, in our own way, search for inspiration in our daily activities. Chefs, housewives and the like are all very similar. It helps to realize this. All the best in your craft.

Take care

Would you like to speak to us about sensuous food and how you'd describe its effect on people you serve your dishes.

I've noticed much of late when ever I have had my fill of some cuisine of a certain region that it had a different effect on my body after shall we say consuming it only later not while sampling it on point. I believe certain foods heavily send signals to certain parts of our body.. while it is true our exeriences should not be distinguished on part basis what would you say of an experience with food appealing to certain section to your body or mind.

I would love to give details but I'm afraid it is not yet a written record but a general observation and somthing that I wish toknow more or discover more rather. Hope to hear some of your similar observations and how these spur you to create effective service of your food.. I assume more here than seak out of experience but French cuisine is more sensuous rather and detail are meticulous. I have no knowledge what soever of any cuisine in a very deep level to compare them either on scales of expressivenss. Hope you'll be kind to help me out I am only beginning to discover these aspects of food.

Thanks

Geetha