• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Life outside the restaurant

Do you cook at home? Do you experiment on your family? Is your child an adventurous eater?

I'm a mother of three, and one of the joys of the last few years has been watching Diana (now 14) become proficient and inventive in the kitchen, and be able to handle a chef's knife adeptly. Likewise, Peter and Heidi are expanding their range of "what they will try" and they have started to really enjoy new and different foods, tastes and textures.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Do you cook at home?  Do you experiment on your family?  Is your child an adventurous eater?

I'm a mother of three, and one of the joys of the last few years has been watching Diana (now 14) become proficient and inventive in the kitchen, and be able to handle a chef's knife adeptly.  Likewise, Peter and Heidi are expanding their range of "what they will try" and they have started to really enjoy new and different foods, tastes and textures.

Well Im not at home much. When I am my wife makes me cook some of the time. LOts of times she will trick me into cooking by purchasing items at the store she wants to eat, but has no clue how to cook and then tell me its going to go bad if I dont cook or thats all we have to eat comments. Shes clever like that. most women are.

My son is 4 now and will be 5 at the end of November. He used to be alot more adventurous than he is now. He used to love caviar and foie gars, all vegetables and fish. Now, mostly because of his friends I think, he wont try many of those things which he loved before. A phase I know. He likes to cook with me when im home in the kitchen. I thinks its just to be with me and not for the cooking aspect. Either way Im happy because of it.

I will not push him to be adventurous, but we will make him taste before he rejects the item. So at least he tried it.

As far as experimenting on the family, I usually dont do it. I will buy things to play with at work and try things, but my wife does the shopping and plans the meals so she always knows what she wants to eat. At work I practice new things alot but will never put on the menu until Im satisfied with the results before. I dont think at this level and price point, guests need to be guinea pigs.

Congrast on your family and the kids love of food. Alot of people miss the joys of eating and wont think outside their comfort level of fast food, chicken, pasta or steaks. Im glad to hear your family is wise to good food.

Cheers!

Edited by Richard Hamilton (log)

As a chef and a father, how are you affected by your profession? From what I can tell from reading your comments above and those in response to other questions so far, it appears you enjoy both being a chef and a father, but I also know it's a profession that often keeps you apart from your family at meal times which is when many families tend to bond.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

As a chef and a father, how are you affected by your profession? From what I can tell from reading your comments above and those in response to other questions so far, it appears you enjoy both being a chef and a father, but I also know it's a profession that often keeps you apart from your family at meal times which is when many families tend to bond.

Yes its true Im away alot and love both being a chef and father. Finding time and ways to be a better family and closer family is a challenge. I love any and all meal periods with my family and we look for opportunities, like slower days we sneak out and have lunch or they will sneak in and join me for a quick pre meal dinner in my office. Mondays the restaurant is closed and I make that a full day unless other events or appearances come up.

My wife has been with me, and I her, since the eighth grade and she is very familiar with the drill. This is nothing new to her. My son, has more of a problem with it, but also deals well and loves any time we have together. Its always a challenge and will always be one. Its the life we all have accepted. To a point..?..

Edited by Richard Hamilton (log)