• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding Quality Purveyors

Good afternoon Chef Hamilton,

In another thread I think you mentioned the ability to source many of your products nationally because of the reliability of overnight air freight. But can you talk about how you go about choosing a source that is halfway across the country when you can't just drop in on their operation to make sure they are handling their products with the level of care you require?

Thanks.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

Good afternoon Chef Hamilton,

In another thread I think you mentioned the ability to source many of your products nationally because of the reliability of overnight air freight. But can you talk about how you go about choosing a source that is halfway across the country when you can't just drop in on their operation to make sure they are handling their products with the level of care you require?

Thanks.

Wow, there are alot of very savvy people here asking great questions. This is no different.

For me to find a good source, I furst have to have some knowledge of what they are doing. Like specific meat or fish. This usually comes from reading, traveling or other chefs. Once I decide to try the product, I call and have a long conversation with the grower, farmer or fisherman about their products. They will usually send to me a sample and I will also ask for some other chefs who use. If no other chefs use, I will go one a leap of faith and begin using based on my opinion of the conversation and the sample.

With my menu format, I am never locked in and forced to use product I dont like. So if the product arrives and Im not satisfied, I can decide to remove from the menu and place another dish in its place.

I will then call the source and discuss the problem and see if its a one time or whether it can be a problem that will continue to occur. Relationships with sources are based on trust. Both with me and also with them. So if it doesnt work and there is no trust we dont go any further.

I hope this answers your question.