• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: ronnie_suburban, redux - Adventures in the ordinary

Ronnie,really enjoyed your blog,nice job :smile:

Dave s

Thank you Dave...and I did catch your reply about the red tamale. Thanks for that as well! :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Ronnie, I have a bucketful of Halloween candy. I'd be happy to share it with you. :smile: Very nicely done this week Ron :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I do have some variant of a Rittersport bar on hand, so I may break that out a little later. :smile:

Rittersport: Square. Practical. Good.

Do you know about the special "snap open" quality of the packing? I didn't, until I married a german dude.

Ronnie, I have a bucketful of Halloween candy.  I'd be happy to share it with you. :smile:  Very nicely done this week Ron :smile:

Thanks Marlene...I love those mini snickers bars :biggrin:

I do have some variant of a Rittersport bar on hand, so I may break that out a little later. :smile:

Rittersport: Square. Practical. Good.

Do you know about the special "snap open" quality of the packing? I didn't, until I married a german dude.

Ahh...so you don't even need to pull the rip cord, just snap the bar? If that's the case, I do now and thanks :biggrin: If not, please enlighten me (if I go find it now, I'll eat it now :smile:)

=R=

Ahh...so you don't even need to pull the rip cord, just snap the bar?  If that's the case, I do now and thanks :biggrin:  If not, please enlighten me (if I go find it now, I'll eat it now :smile:)

Exactly -- the border of the first row of squares lines up exactly with the packaging seam. Have you ever had the rum raisin kind? They really go fairly "adult" on the rum... :smile:

Great blog, BTW, very fun to read.

Ahh...so you don't even need to pull the rip cord, just snap the bar?  If that's the case, I do now and thanks :biggrin:  If not, please enlighten me (if I go find it now, I'll eat it now :smile:)

Exactly -- the border of the first row of squares lines up exactly with the packaging seam. Have you ever had the rum raisin kind? They really go fairly "adult" on the rum... :smile:

Great blog, BTW, very fun to read.

Cool...now I'm doubly looking forward to breaking into it :wink:

And I will definitely try the rum raisin; it sounds great. They carry Rittersports at Cost Plus World Market and I'll be right near one later this week. Thanks again, for the tips. :smile:

=R=

Thanks, R, for everything.

Soup sounds divine; smoked pork bones make diving stock. Should I find myself getting to the City of Big Shoulders, I will bring you a pound of Hope Butter. It is a revelation.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

And you thought you were done!

Describe the soup please?

The soup was started with stock which my wife made :shock: from 2 smoked pork hocks (from the fresh meat dept, not home-made) and water. She then made a 'mirepoix' in the cuisinart with 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 1 leek and 1 yellow onion. She sauteed the mirepoix, added the pound of red lentils, combined it all and then added the stock. She added a bay leaf, kosher salt, fresh-ground black pepper and let it simmer for a few hours. Near the end, she threw in some flat-leaf parsley and what little meat she could harvest from the hocks.

=R=

Soup looks great! Your good wife has a few tricks up her sleeve that you didn't know about. :wink:

I made a soup last week, similar but without smoked pork hocks. I used a chicken carcass and added Patak's madras curry paste to it. Just before serving, I topped the soup with a thin slice of lemon. You poke the lemon slice down into the soup, squish out the juice with your spoon for that tang. Great topped with cilantro and crusty bread.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks for taking the time to do this foodblog, Ronnie. I've really enjoyed it, and that soup looks so good, I might have to make something similar for election day supper. Thanks for the inspiration.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Thanks for the kind feedback, everyone and thanks Dejah, for the soup tips, which sound great. I'll need them to trump her next time out. :smile:

=R=

The only thing I didn't like about this blog is that after reading it, I weighed myself and found I had gained 5 pounds.

So, you can imagine where it left me :biggrin:

=R=