• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LCBO Vintages Corner

jayt90

I managed to grab 3 full bottles and 2 halves. The price and the Parker score printed in the catalog made this one a sure thing to sell out. The funny thing is that the Parker tasting note and score are for the "unfiltered" version of the Muga Reserva, the one released here was filtered.

Are you going to sample one, to see if comes up to "Parker 92" though unfiltered?

If I had one, or a few, I don't think I could resist for very long.

I had one bottle that looked like the cork was pushing up a bit, so I popped it and tried one and It was good, but not 92pts good, 90 would be more accurate. It can cellar for 2-3 years, I'll hold of on the rest till then.

As someone said above, there were 1,200 cases, which is normally enough volume for 'wine of the month'. But the problem was that people were buying it by the case. I should know... I bought a case. :wink:

Bayview LCBO was out of stock by about 9:15am that Saturday, so Tuesday was WAYYY too late if you're buying in the TO area! It's just history repeating itself as I knew that a Parker 92 wine at less than $20 would go fast, even at 1,200 cases.

Did anyone manage to pick up the wine of the month (well, one of them) in October, Muga Rioja Reserve (red) at $20., promoted with a Parker 92 rating?

I was at work on the Saturday release date, and did not get to a store until Tuesday.  All gone!

How can a wine of the month sell out, all over the GTA, in a day or two? Why call it a wine of the month?

I thought the 92 was about right. You have to let it air out as it definitely got better with time.

I had one bottle that looked like the cork was pushing up a bit, so I popped it and tried one and It was good, but not 92pts good, 90 would be more accurate. It can cellar for  2-3 years, I'll hold of on the rest till then.

I was in Philly this past weekend and managed to find a bottle of the Muga "Unfiltered" that Parker awarded the 92. The LCBO version is clearly labeled filtered, it will be interesting to taste these side by side further down the road.

Where on the label did you find it "clearly labeled filtered"? Not on any of the 12 bottles I bought from the LCBO.

In fact, someone did ask and according to the LCBO, it's unfiltered version. Someone on the Wine Spectator forum did some snooping and confirmed this. Apparently, only in the US (where Parker tasted) is the word unfiltered specifically stated on the label. Everywhere else, including Canada, it's not specifically stated but it is nevertheless unfiltered.

Turns out I should read the label before posting! I miss read the text on the back label, it was "fined with egg whites".

Since the Muga Reserva is the same, we got a great deal in Ontario, the price in Philly was $21.99us.

Edited by Manolo (log)

The Muga sold out all over, and I'm afraid largely because of the Parker rating. LCBO should stop printing the ratings in the release catalog - I can't believe they get away with it anyway (I want to write a note to WS saying I am cancelling my subscription because the LCBO gives me the ratings and notes for free ...but won't)

Unfortunately you end up with a lot of people buying the rating, rather than the wine.

Ah well, I seem to do pretty well by the LCBO, so should temper my criticism with that.

Did anyone get the Bruzzico from the last release? Any thoughts?

For those who lost out on Muga and want a nice Spanish choice, Castel de Falstet from the Nov. 12 is quite nice as well at $29.

The Muga sold out all over, and I'm afraid largely because of the Parker rating.  LCBO should stop printing the ratings in the release catalog - I can't believe they get away with it anyway (I want to write a note to WS saying I am cancelling my subscription because the LCBO gives me the ratings and notes for free ...but won't)

Unfortunately you end up with a lot of people buying the rating, rather than the wine.

What annoys me about Vinatages' use of ratings is the way they are so commercially self serving. They will always publish a rating by Parker or WS 90 or above, but rarely below 89. Often the verbal report they quote is quite favorable, but they are embarassed to use the number, which may be in the mid to upper 80's.

Aren't the WS ratings available on line, at no cost? Used to be, before I lost interest in them.

There are lesser known tasters of the Vintages releases using the 100 point scale, such a Wine Access, Star (Stmmell), Natalie (actually becoming well known!), and winecurrent.com. I have seen many of their ratings move into the coveted 89-92 range, when perhaps they could be a little lower; it is just good business to keep those numbers up...

WS does indeed offer some ratings for free. Perhaps it is only those which the LCBO is using. But it doesn't appear that the Parker ratings are publicly available (just one featured note).

On publishing low scores - I can completely understand why they don't, but agree with you that they should then also forgo the note.

WS does indeed offer some ratings for free.  Perhaps it is only those which the LCBO is using.  But it doesn't appear that the Parker ratings are publicly available (just one featured note).

On publishing low scores - I can completely understand why they don't, but agree with you that they should then also forgo the note.

I've been able to find some Parker scores by Googling a wine he may have tasted, and checking out the wine lists on various U.S. wine merchants that come up on the Google list for the wine. Inevitably they will publish the score if it is available, and to their advantage.

Vintages' Future offerings are also very score-oriented, or obsessed. The yearly Bordeaux list will have ratings from WS, Parker, Tanzer, Decanter, Jancis, and some others.

I am not so obsessed, but I do like to find low cost sleepers, and Parker also looks for these.

• 3 weeks later...

be on the look out for the 2003 Landmark Grand Detour Pinot. at the price it is a steal!! having a glass right now. characteristically Sonoma Pinot. problem is the LCBO listed the score. such is life though.

Edited by mkjr (log)

officially left egullet....

• 1 month later...

LCBO Vintages has a lot happening starting Sat. Feb. 4.

A sale of overstocked wines, and a new release with a lot to offer.

Top on my list would have to be a red wine of the month,

Capcanes 'Mas Donis'\

Barrica 2003, $15.95

I believe it is from southern Spain, near Tarragona.

It comes with a rave review from Robert Parker: "Amazing fragrance, nobility, complexity, medium to full body, a long, concentrated and heady finish. Score 92."

If you want some, talk to a Vintages consultant before Saturday.

The last time they offered a low price blockbuster, as a wine of the month, most stores sold out within an hour or two on Saturday morning.

Top on my list would have to be a red wine of the month, Capcanes 'Mas Donis'\Barrica 2003, $15.95... I believe it is from southern Spain, near Tarragona.

Don't know the wine but thanks for the recommendation.

One geographical point - Tarragona is a couple hours southwest of Barcelona along the coast, but still in Catalunya and therefore northeast Spain, not the south.

Incidentally, I also did a quick search. The wine's from Montsant - a new DO where lots of 'new world' style wines are being made. It's beside the DOC Priorat.

Top on my list would have to be a red wine of the month, Capcanes 'Mas Donis'\Barrica 2003, $15.95... I believe it is from southern Spain, near Tarragona.

Don't know the wine but thanks for the recommendation.

One geographical point - Tarragona is a couple hours southwest of Barcelona along the coast, but still in Catalunya and therefore northeast Spain, not the south.

Incidentally, I also did a quick search. The wine's from Montsant - a new DO where lots of 'new world' style wines are being made. It's beside the DOC Priorat.

Thanks Kev. I just checked Hugh J's Pocket Encylopedia, and see that these wines, Montsant, Priorat, and Tarragona are near the Penedes, which has sent a lot of wine here for quite awhile. Hugh says the whole area got an influx of development money when Spain joined E.C.

I remember buying Tarragona jug wine from Astor Wines in my student days in N.Y.C.

It was priced like a soft drink, and was one of our favourite forms of rotgut.

I just checked Hugh J's Pocket Encylopedia, and see that these wines, Montsant, Priorat, and Tarragona are near the Penedes, which has sent a lot of wine here for quite awhile. Hugh says the whole area got an influx of development money when Spain joined E.C.
Yup, just farther south. I used to live around those parts.

I'm not really a reader of R.Parker but I noticed on the net he's a fan of the Priorat especially - and no wonder because of the new world thing they're aiming for. I find it interesting that they're designing wines specifically for the N.American market.

I remember buying Tarragona jug wine from Astor Wines in my student days in N.Y.C.  It was priced like a soft drink, and was one of our favourite forms of rotgut.
Lucky! It must have beaten the cheap "box o'wine" (as people called it) LCBO gutrot in Ontario. :wacko:

The jug stuff would have been good for sangria, I'm sure.

Edited by KevV (log)

The Tarragona jug wine was light bodied and harsh, typical of overproduced garnacha.

I picked up six bottles of the Montsant 'Mas Donis' 2003 this morning (pre-release, and easy to arrange) and I expect to try one for dinner today, to see whether I should get in the cattle line for more on Sat. AM. I should be able to report here later this evening.

I think Parker has a good nose for bargains (his 'sleepers') and his ratings are often more genuine than other critics who cluster in the 87-92 range.

jay,

I would be very interested to hear what you thought ASAP - I too arranged to pick up some pre-release, however I will only be going tonight, so if you can post back sooner than later, that may be of some help.

As well, my buddy at Vintages mentioned theres 2 reds from portugal released tomorrow that he says are as good if not better than the Donis.

...six bottles of the Montsant 'Mas Donis' 2003 this morning ... and I expect to try one for dinner today, to see whether I should get in the cattle line for more on Sat. AM. I should be able to report here later this evening.
Okay. I suppose if the report ends up being a bit rambling and contains a few spelling mistakes, then we will be able to assume you enjoyed it! :rolleyes:

jay,

I would be very interested to hear what you thought ASAP - I too arranged to pick up some pre-release, however I will only be going tonight, so if you can post back sooner than later, that may be of some help.

As well, my buddy at Vintages mentioned theres 2 reds from portugal released tomorrow that he says are as good if not better than the Donis.

At 7 PM I've had 1 glass with a chunk of stinky aged Stilton.

The wine is exceptional at the price, although good ones from Ca. and Aus. keep arriving.

It does everything Parker suggests, except for the long heady finish.

I'll try to get another 6 bottles on Sat., which should be OK for the 5-7 years of maturity promised.

It comes from a co-op, but is well made. Subtle scents and deep flavours, rather than the strong hit I would expect from, say a Chateauneuf de Pape.

The Saturday papers have mentioned some other bargains: Castello di Nieve Barbaresco 2002 at $22, and Anselmann Gevurztraminer Beerenauslese 2004 (Reinhessen) at $22 the half bottle. That's less than Ontario ice wine, and a superb product that we rarely see here.

Beppi likes Ch Fortia (Ch de Pape) but that area has become pricey, for now.

Vintages still has a future offering of 2003 Ch Fontenil, at $36.

There are lots of others worth looking at this month, a plethora for a change.

Did you manage to find any of the Beerenauslese? I tried to find some and the Consultant at the Laird store said it didn't come in. I was hoping to get some.

No I didn't find any. I just checked Vintages search engine, and there are 12 in Ancaster. Nowhere else. So we have to wait two weeks to get a transfer to a local store.

There is quite a bit of Anselmann's Trockenbeerenauslese available, at $35. the half.

I think this is the same situation as with the 97 Coutet Sautern & Pol Roger champagne a few releases back. They didn't show up at the stores in time for the release but eventually were in the stores about a week late.