• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Richmond, Shanghainese Food, Xiaolong Bao

Gary Soup

The best Xiao Long Bao I've had in a food court is from that Shanghai stall in the Aberdeen Centre food court.  Much better quality than I expected from a food court place.  A serving of those plus the "Wind Sand" chicken wings from that other stall make a complete meal for me.

Wind Sand? Is that Foong Sai - where Foong mean's "Phoenix" denoting a chicken dish and Sai - is Sai Geung or Sand Ginger which is lesser galanga. Or is Wind Sand something completely different?

"Wind Sand" is the literal translation. "Foong" as in Wind and "Sa" as in Sand. I have no idea what's in it, although "sand ginger" would be a good guess. They are my favourite deep fried chicken wings (well, the ones from Phnom Penh are the co-favourites). You can get them from that stall that sells the "Tiny Car" noodles.

"Wind Sand" is the literal translation.  "Foong" as in Wind and "Sa" as in Sand.  I have no idea what's in it, although "sand ginger" would be a good guess.  They are my favourite deep fried chicken wings (well, the ones from Phnom Penh are the co-favourites).  You can get them from that stall that sells the "Tiny Car" noodles.

You're right - I asked around that the Foong does mean 'wind' - and nobody knows why it is named that way. Perhaps the fact that it is fried - and the skin is dry (wind burned?) - gosh I am reaching here - but that's how they seem to come up with Chinese names for dishes sometimes.

I've also heard that the wings are very good.

Is BGBY still open?  For some reason - I think it has closed down. 

Not only here but in other locations I'm suddenly hearing about Ba Guo Bu Yi. Last September they seem to have been replaced. If anyone knows where the chef has gone - let me know please! I really like the way they do dan dan noodles and certain Szichuan dishes... I miss that place!

"Wind Sand" is the literal translation.  "Foong" as in Wind and "Sa" as in Sand.  I have no idea what's in it, although "sand ginger" would be a good guess.  They are my favourite deep fried chicken wings (well, the ones from Phnom Penh are the co-favourites).  You can get them from that stall that sells the "Tiny Car" noodles.

I've also heard that the wings are very good.

Yep, they're really good but not cheap (slightly more than $1 per wing, I think?) - apparently the same owners as the ones previously at the old Aberdeen Mall. The stall next to it (that sells the curry fish balls) has ridiculously cheap iced lemon tea & the like (bubble tea sized drinks that are only $1, if I remember correctly). Good tea too, not watered down.

• 2 months later...

July 22, 2006. Shanghai River has both pork and crab xiao long bao. The rest of their dim sum is lackluster.

gallery_36558_3077_5988.jpg

July 24, 2006. Shanghai Wind's are bigger. The skin lacks the translucency of xiao long bao from Shanghai River.

gallery_36558_3077_2308.jpg

I prefer Shanghai River a bit more.

Edited by Kent Wang (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I have, for a few months now, been eating at Top Shanghai instead of Shanghai Wind but stopped by SW a few days ago as I remember enjoying their xiao long bao very much.

It seems that the quality has gone down significantly--the broth was more fat than broth (like 70% clear fat, 30% broth...a little too heavy, even for me) and the meat was overly fatty and gristly. It was a step below SR and Top Shanghai for sure.

To date, my favourite xlb is at Top Shanghai, with SR coming in second. SW's xlb is probably better than most, but not in competition with the other two.

However, their turnip cake (a flaky pastry similar to this, but filled with grated daikon and bits of meat) was delicious. I remember Keith describing this dish many months ago, and am glad to echo his praise. The five-spice beef was also very good.

Edited by Ling (log)

We were there on the weekend and noticed two thirds of the dumpling crew (<-Possible hip hop band name?) were new. Two young guys. The XLB were excellent, as always. I'm a XLB slut though, and the sum total bad XLB I've had is zero. Even bad XLB are damn tasty. It's a topic I find it diffict to express critical thought regarding.

We also had the fried pork dumplings, (because one order of porky meat/dough combo just isn't enough,) which were even better than the XLB. Thicker skin, sweeter dough like a pork bun, with soup inside and the hottest interior known to man. These things could power a Candu reactor. Scientists in Iran are probably trying to refine the centres of these right now.

• 2 weeks later...

So, need some input, please? Is there any consensus on a good XLB spot in Vancouver? Meeting up with a gf for dinner, and as she is 6 months preggers, she gets to to call the shots, which includes not driving all the way to Richmond. Anyone been to Green Village (Broadway&Nanaimo) lately? She's thinking of some place in the area of Main & 32nd, but I suspect this is Long's which doesn't seem to be favoured on this board...

So, need some input, please? Is there any consensus on a good XLB spot in Vancouver? Meeting up with a gf for dinner, and as she is 6 months preggers, she gets to to call the shots, which includes not driving all the way to Richmond. Anyone been to Green Village (Broadway&Nanaimo) lately? She's thinking of some place in the area of  Main & 32nd, but I suspect this is Long's which doesn't seem to be favoured on this board...

If Richmond is out of the question - there is a place on Kingway right by Victoria that is pretty good (Ningbo?). Pao Pao has a better grasp on the name.

Many people like Longs - but I am not a huge fan. But I only went once for lunch - but I did not like the XLB. But there are many who would disagree with me - and it may be worth a second shot.

Green village serves XLB for lunch - but I am not sure if they have them for dinner. Not bad - not great either.

Stay away from dim sum places like Kirin and Sun Sui Wah. Though the dim sum may be fine - the XLB at these place are notoriously disappointing.

If Richmond is out of the question - there is a place on Kingway right by Victoria that is pretty good (Ningbo?).  Pao Pao has a better grasp on the name.
I think it's NingDu, from previous posts -- I am completely unfamiliar with this place but will look into it.
Stay away from dim sum places like Kirin and Sun Sui Wah.  Though the dim sum may be fine - the XLB at these place are notoriously disappointing.

Yes! Why is that? Is it that much more difficult than all the other dumplings they offer for dimsum? I thought perhaps Shanghai Bistro would pull off a decent XLB, but, nope, not at all. :shock:Thanks for your thoughts. Edited by PearL (log)

I love XLB's and have had the XLB's in Vancouver at most of the places mentioned. However, I really don't think any of them compare to Toronto's DTF, let alone the one in TW. Is there must less demand for northern chinese cuisine out in the west?

I dreeeaaam of the day that DTF will open a Vancouver branch. My meal at their Tawian mothership was an orgy of dumpling goodness.

There are increasing numbers of Nothern Chinese and Tawainese living in Vancouver - I am not sure why DTF is not here yet. I think feeding Keith Talent's family alone would support their business model. Until that day comes - continuing this conversation is just plain cruel.

Many people like Longs - but I am not a huge fan.  But I only went once for lunch - but I did not like the XLB.  But there are many who would disagree with me - and it may be worth a second shot.

Ended up going to Long's last night for dinner. Service was friendly and attentive, and the place filled up quickly and there were a couple parties waiting by the time we left. I found the xlb soupy enough but rather bland; same went for the gyoza-style dumplings. I ordered a noodle with smoked fish, which turned out completely different from what I was expecting (perhaps I was thinking of an entirely different dish, but I was thinking of the milky-fish broth soup, which I was certain was called the same thing in other restaurants. What came out was noodles in clear broth, with a side plate of smoked fish pieces served very bony, and very cold)

Not sure I would go to Long's again...

It's Din Tai Feng...aka supposedly the restaurant that makes the best xiao long bao on earth.

I've gotta say though that I've read online that the North American locations are nowhere near as good as the one in Asia, and that the xiao long bao in Richmond is better than the DTF in LA.

Funny... I'm in New Jersey today and followed a lead on xiao long bao, but it was just mediocre. The ones in Richmond are much better. You are lucky to have good choices there! (Shanghai Wind for rustic ones, and Shanghai River and Top Shanghai for other delicious ones.)

The only Din Tai Fung I've tried is in Taipei. Best wrappers of any xlb I've eaten. So delicate! I know people who've eaten at DTF in Taipei, Tokyo and LA, and they say Taipei is clearly the best location - and the cheapest!

Still, as I've mentioned elsewhere, there's a place I like even better in Taipei, as I think the broth and overall dumpling is better. And Joe's Shanghai (Flushing or Manhattan's Chinatown, but not the Mid-town location) is the absolute best for their crab-and-pork ones (IMHO).

I've been to the Tawain DTF also - I wanted to hate it, but fell in love instead - excellent dumplings. Such is life.

My brother swears by Joe's Shanghai in Manhattan - but says the Richmond ones are very close.

In HK - Victoria Harbour in Wan Chai has pork and hairy crab roe XLB's that are very very good.

I can wait for the weather to get really cool in Vancouver and go on a XLB gorge.

• 1 month later...
In HK - Victoria Harbour in Wan Chai has pork and hairy crab roe XLB's that are very very good. 

omg omg omg...it's been just over a year and i've forgotten all about hairy crab roe XLBs. boo you canucklehead, for reminding us that we won't be able to get them here!!! :sad: lol!

i still stand behind Long's XLBs as i find SW's wrapper too thick, and SR to be good, but much too pretentious.

one thing that i've never understood was how shanghainese places that specialize in XLBs make a profit...making and wrapping those little suckers are so time-intensive. it's still surprising to me that you can get one for around, if not less than, 50 cents!

i've heard that well made XLBs have at least 16 folds. has anyone else heard of this?