• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffalo wings, Indian style

jw46

Make a paste out of coriander, spicy green chiles and mint, and a little bit of vegetable oil. Maybe some cumin. Black pepper. And lime juice. Baste the chicken wings. Bake.

Although I bet you could buy some prepared mint and coriander chutneys, mix em up, add chiles to it, and baste the chicken wings with that, and it would work just as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

hi jw46-don't have a recipe but this is essentially a tamarind chutney gone wild that i sometimes use on chicken drumsticks-it's pretty good without a dip but i guess you could do something with yogurt and mint possibly.

for the chutney-tamarind pulp,ground red chilli,ground roasted cumin,ground fresh ginger,salt,jaggery/brown sugar,malt vinegar and a little oil.these are all to taste so you could google a recipe and modify it.the last time i used thinly sliced green chilli too -guess you could toss in some tabasco!marinate the chicken overnight if possible and bake-never tried this on the grill because of the sugar/tamarind combination.

Ok, Gang, the mission: Chicken wings Indian style...

Something hot, sweet, and spicy....

Give me your hints...

Thanx

:shock: I always thought there was a connection between the buffalo chicken wings to somthinggy indianny :raz:

Just for sure that they smell to me like the dosa and idli podi which is an enjoyable spiced lentil and red chilli powder along with asafotida you can get recipes of it online if you search for idli podi. I always thought chicken wings smelled like idli and podi combo and wondered what ingredients made it so similar to the smell.. I know idlies are steamed and then coated with the podi+oil mixture the oil is usually the one made out of black sesame with a a nice aroma to it, am I guessing right here this oil flavours this mixture well and together this goes on top of the steamed idlies and also mabe dipped on the side if you wish.

How would it go on top of chicken wings and I wonder if you may think of steaming the wings with the podi oil mixture on top of them, may be also tamirind for tanginess, and a little of jaggery for sweetness.., you may want to start solely by having spice elements if you like their taste proceed further to add the tamarind for sour and then after it is to your liking take it further up taste wise to add jaggery wich can be equated to brown sugar if that is what you have.

Afte steaming you can bake them with a basting of similar mixture and add sambar powder to this basting mixture too. :blink: May be I should try it too :huh:

Can anyone else who has tasted these too tell us if it does come close in taste and smell as I have described above

Luck

Geetha :wub:

Ok, Gang, the mission: Chicken wings Indian style...

Something hot, sweet, and spicy....

Give me your hints...

Thanx

Thanks a lot all who responded, but the venue has changed, and thus the contribution to the meal (Host makes the warm dishes)

The seemingly endless process of remodeling is dragging on and It is better to have the gathering somewhere other than a construction zone...

Opted for Vietnamese Spring Rolls....All I will require is a pan of warm water to soften the rice skins...The dipping sauces are already made, they are regulars in our house...

Hmmm... sounds like some great suggestions. I'll be trying some of them this season--- spicy mint coriander, tamarind...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 weeks later...

Pankhi kebab:

Chicken wings - cleaned and cut in half

Salt

Chilli powder

Paprika

Lemon juice

Cream cheese and or Sour Cream

Ginger and garlic pastes (if desirable)

Mustard oil and olive oil (1:1)

Mix and marinate for a couple of hours

Charcoal broil.

Pankh ke Pakode:

Chicken wings

Salt

Ajwain

Roasted crushed cumin seeds

Chilli powder

Lemon juice or vinegar

Besan

Eggs whole

Chopped cilantro

Chopped ginger

Chopped green chillies

Cornstarch

Add salt and lemon juice or vinegar to the cleaned wings. Mix well. Add ajwain, chilli powder, cumin seeds, cilantro, green chillies, ginger and mix well.

Add beaten egg, besan and cornstarch.

Fry in moderately hot oil

Pankhi kebab:

Chicken wings - cleaned and cut in half

Salt

Chilli powder

Paprika

Lemon juice

Cream cheese and or Sour Cream

Ginger and garlic pastes (if desirable)

Mustard oil and olive oil (1:1)

Mix and marinate for a couple of hours

Charcoal broil.

Sounds absolutely divine! Especially the Mustard/Olive oil combination.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com