• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Biggest Disapointment?

Hello Chef Hamilton, Glad you could join us. Curious to know ,in doing a daily menu what has been one of your not stellar dishes?

thanks again for joining us and(hopefully) your honesty

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

Hello Chef Hamilton, Glad you could join us. Curious to know ,in doing a daily menu what has been one of your not stellar dishes?

thanks again for joining us and(hopefully) your honesty

Dave s

Dave, thanks for the question. Im racking my brain trying to think of a doozy. As you may know with food, sometimes things dont always work as planned. I have done several dishes that were not very well recieved at the Pear.

Maybe the biggest was a maple glazed Ivory Salmon on Ginger Stewed Cabbage. I liked it but I think it was maybe to different for that day of guests.

Oh I also did a hot and sour soup no one would order. Never figured that one out.

In any case, I try and give it my best and most of the time it works out. But, there is always a miss.

Edited by Richard Hamilton (log)

Its interesting that you mention Hot and Sour soup -- was it a thick, Chinese style one or a Thai style one?

Do you make a lot of Asian-themed dishes at the restaurant?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Its interesting that you mention Hot and Sour soup -- was it a thick, Chinese style one or a Thai style one?

Do you make a lot of Asian-themed dishes at the restaurant?

Well I do both kinds and variations from time to time. In this instance it was a thick one with hawaiian blue prawns. Again I dont know what about the sound of it didnt sound good to the guests but no one ordered it.

Go figure.