• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honeycomb

reuvens

Actually I´ve never tried to make this sweet delight. But what i saw the other day was unbelievable. A nice chunk of honeycomb with huge holes like rustic bread. Does anybody boy know how to make these things.....I really want to make it now!

Knock yourself out....

1 1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup corn syrup

4 t honey

3 T h2o

Bring to 300 degrees. Add 1t baking soda, whip 5 seconds (or less) then pour onto a greased sheet pan.

This stuff comes up fast fast when you put in the soda. Quite instructive.

Knock yourself out....

1 1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup corn syrup

4 t honey

3 T h2o

Bring to 300 degrees. Add 1t baking soda, whip 5 seconds (or less) then pour onto a greased sheet pan.

This stuff comes up fast fast when you put in the soda. Quite instructive.

so is it just a matter of how much baking soda is added or how much you stir when you add it? i was just wondering what exactly is responsible for the big bubbles.

I think the sugar solution must be very acid because when you put the soda in there, it turns brown and foams gigantically in a split second. You can knock it down if you stir it too much. If you put in too much soda, you'd really taste it.

This is something that I would never have thought that Cook's Illustrated would be doing. Macaroni and cheese over and over, but not this.

What's next for me is to surreptitiously slide the plate containing the confection to the edge of the table, and dump it into the trash. It's a fun little project, but I'd rather waste the calories on pizza or ice cream.

What's next for me is to surreptitiously slide the plate containing the confection to the edge of the table, and dump it into the trash. It's a fun little project, but I'd rather waste the calories on pizza or ice cream.

dumping proper made candy in the trash? nice post!

and have fun with you pizza and ice cream!

vue

How about....

crush and fold into ice-cream or lemon sorbet

grind to powder in food processor and fold into mousse

These candies are like the centre of the Cadbury Crunchie candy bars. One of my favourtie candy bars. :wub:

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

• 7 years later...

The folks I know who make it generally dip it into melted dark chocolate and roll that in either chopped nuts or broken hard candies.

At Christmas they had made some and rolled the chocolate-covered "angel sponge" in broken pieces of cinnamon candy.

This site has a recipe and the various names the candy is called in different places. So Sea Foam is okay if you are from the Pacific Northwest.

Angel food candy.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett