• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhode Island

Chef Hamilton:

You've worked with some of the top chefs in the entire industry, all of which are centered around some of the most active and important restaurant towns in the US. What are the benefits as well as the disadvantages that you see to having your restaurant in a vacation town like Newport, versus out of one of the big cities, such as New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco, or even Boston?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Chef Hamilton:

You've worked with some of the top chefs in the entire industry, all of which are centered around some of the most active and important restaurant towns in the US. What are the benefits as well as the disadvantages that you see to having your restaurant in a vacation town like Newport, versus out of one of the big cities, such as New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or even Boston for that manner?

Jason, First, thanks for having me. eGullet is a great forum for food minded people to gather. Second, thats a great question. I have been alot of places and worked with some very impressive chefs. I have been lucky in that way.

Newport is a unique town. You do have that tourist section of things that tend to dominate alot of the restaurants in town. At the Spiced Pear, we have been fortunate to become more of a destination restaurant. Most of our guests drive over 45 minutes to eat with us. Thats makes us more than a tourist place.

We do, however, have a challenge with slower weekdays that larger towns dont have. Our pull of people is not as great on weekdays as, lets say, a New York. That is ceratainly a challenge.

Advantages are, well, first off, we are a very large fish in a little sea. Thats great to get a place like ours off the ground. Also, being in Newport is great for local supplies. The fishermen knock on our door with great catches that we can serve in the restaurant.

All in all its a pretty great place to be. I have a great quality of life for me and my family that larger cities do not afford chefs who work as much as I do. Thats one of the biggest advantages.

Thanks for asking

Do you guys see a lot of off season traffic as well? Also, while you probably get amazing seafood up there, do you have any issues sourcing top produce and other ingredients from suppliers?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Do you guys see a lot of off season traffic as well? Also, while you probably get amazing seafood up there, do you have any issues sourcing top produce and other ingredients from suppliers?

The Spiced Pear stays pretty full year round. No room for a flux in seasons there, except like I said, some weekdays. Our outside, Terrazza, is very seasonal. Its only open in the summer and gets very busy when it is. So in that respect, we do see a flux.

Produce and other products are easy, thanks to express mail and great purveyors. We are blessed with some of the best in the industry.