• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Embarrasing admission

Keith Talent

Rectified the situation on Saturday night. Now I'm angry about all the other meals in my life I've eaten that weren't there. Is the highly touted Garlic Lemon Squid the best thing since the NFL was invented? Damn right. Had Cambodian style beef meat ball soup, rare beef salad, stuffed crepe and the forementioned squid. The food here justifies the constant accolades it gets from the media (thanks Jamie) that many other places that are subject to local media group think aren't.

I actually lie, I had eaten there before, back what feels like a million years ago when they had a location on Broadway. I was young, and that's really my only excuse for not fawning over this place back then. Who knows what my objections might have been, but I'm ceratin they were unjustified, and clouded by the ignorance of youth, because our dinner on Saturday was so delicious, that if I'm ever faced with the grim prospect of eating greasy calamari, topped with acrid raw onions and dipped in watery youghurt ever again, I'll throw my meal at the chef and scream some incoherent rant about the superiority of well prepared squid.

My point is thus; A) If you haven't eaten at Phenom Phen you're wasting precious eating time at places that aren't half as good as this place, and B) the crux of my post; Where are you embarrased to admit you've never dined in Vancouver. Everyone has some spot that yeah, I know as a devotee of the local food scene, you should really have eaten there but have never gotten around to it.

"The food here justifies the constant accolades it gets from the media (thanks Jamie) that many other places that are subject to local media group think aren't."

Another Phnom Penh convert! Let me just add that former CBC Radio restaurant critic and Vancouver magazine editor Scott Mowbray was the first to sing the place's praises 10-plus years ago. Nobody had heard of it up until then. The Chinatown location has always been preferred over the Broadway, in any case.

More squid, more squid. It IS good, isn't it!

edited to add my list of places I'm ashamed to say I haven't eaten at yet:

Lumiere (have eaten next door at Feenie's, however)

Villa del Lupo (past its prime or still list-worthy?)

any of those Japanese bar-food joints, i.e., Guu, Hapa-Izakaya, etc.

Sun Sui Wah (waiting to go with a crowd)

Edited by Redhead (log)

Rectified the situation on Saturday night. Now I'm angry about all the other meals in my life I've eaten that weren't there. Is the highly touted Garlic Lemon Squid the best thing since the NFL was invented?

<SNIP>

My point is thus; A) If you haven't eaten at Phenom Phen you're wasting precious eating time at places that aren't half as good as this place, and B) the crux of my post; Where are you embarrased to admit you've never dined in Vancouver. Everyone has some spot that yeah, I know as a devotee of the local food scene, you should really have eaten there but have never gotten around to it.

Not being an NFL fan, the comparison will have to be taken on good faith Keith :wink:

My list of non-attendance (better sit down and relax ... it ain't pretty :shock: ):

West, Cru, Bishop's, Tojo's, Le Gavroche ... wait a minute, I'm feeling faint ... Le Crocodile, Pastis.

My excuse is simple: I've only recently arrived at a point in life where my desire to enjoy such establishments and my ability to afford them are in alignment. That being said, I'm still not able to make them all up at once. So, I have this list on my Palm Pilot (geek!) and check them off as I go.

Yes, Phnom Penh was on the list.

A.

edited cuz I didn't know how to spell Phnom Penh. Never been there remember??

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

Oh dear - however, at least I have the excuse of no longer living in Vancouver :wacko: ... Phnom Penh, Bishop's, Tojo's, all of the "new" (and yes, I'm counting the various Guu's as "New") Japanese/Japanese/Japanese places (and I'll even admit I'm not really following the distinctions) listed in Sam Salmon's earlier discussions, Kirin Mandarin on 12th, Parkside, Chambar, C, En (not for want of trying) - this sucks. I'll go back to missing Cru, West, Sun Sui Wah, Le Crocodile et al. now(whimpering softly). Thanks.

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

"The food here justifies the constant accolades it gets from the media (thanks Jamie) that many other places that are  subject to local media group think aren't."

Another Phnom Penh convert! Let me just add that former CBC Radio restaurant critic and Vancouver magazine editor Scott Mowbray was the first to sing the place's praises 10-plus years ago. Nobody had heard of it up until then. The Chinatown location has always been preferred over the Broadway, in any case.

More squid, more squid. It IS good, isn't it!

edited to add my list of places I'm ashamed to say I haven't eaten at yet:

Lumiere (have eaten next door at Feenie's, however)

Villa del Lupo (past its prime or still list-worthy?)

any of those Japanese bar-food joints, i.e., Guu, Hapa-Izakaya, etc.

Sun Sui Wah (waiting to go with a crowd)

Keith, this is a great thread. These kind of humble admissions suggest a 12-Step program just ahead.

You and the missus are on quite a roll right now given the meal you had in Richmond last week. I'm going to admit right now that I know there are places out there (including the one you mentioned and a Korean meat ball sandwich shop or two) that I've simply got to get to. I'm starting tomorrow--could you give me driving directions to a favourite sandwich shop please?

Loved the clever spelling of "Phenom Penh." It reminds me of an evening in Hawaii a decade ago in a fake-Venetian restaurant replete with gondolas that were pulled on chains through concrete "canals." Our waiter, when he delivered my meal, said, "And for you sir, our signature awesome buco." It was rather Jurassic in scale I recall. Although his nametag said Mario, his real name, as I found out later, was actually Chip, even though I doubt that he participated in the technology revolution.

We have taken many out-of-town food writers to Phnom Penh. Bryan Miller from the New York Times wrote a particularly memorable article about a dozen years ago (concidentally Redhead, he also included Villa del Lupo), citing many of the dishes that you enjoyed. We dined out on his fat expense account for nearly a week. By the way, there are recipes from Phnom Penh in Vancouver Cooks (and for Vij's lamb "popsicles too). I go about once a month, usually in a group. Great place for an inexpensive party too--we've entertained up to 30 people there and no matter how conservative (meat and three veg) they thought they were going in, they're all converts when they leave. Last week Helen brought out a platter of lotus roots. Phenomenal.

I'm sure that Scott Mowbray, whom we called Melton during our brief overlap, returns when he visits from Brooklyn. Scott was also the subject of a hilarious food and drink roadtrip story to Seattle penned by a couple of characters. He had rented an early 90s Chevy Caprice, possibly the ugliest car ever made. The authors of the story took to calling him "Dad."

A few other notes:

Redhead, I'm not sure that I would call the izakaya restaurants strictly "bar food joints"--the word means bistro in Japanese and the food reflects it. I think you'll be quite impressed by some of the more upscale (but still reasonably priced) ones such as Shiru-Bay, Guu (Gastown) and Hapa--a quality night out with often sterling food.

You can put another toe in the water at the Lumiere Tasting Bar. For $12 you can eat that kurri squash and mascarpone-stuffed ravioli that many diners liken to a superior sexual encounter.

And lastly, Villa del Lupo is an exquisite restaurant. The food is top-drawer, very well-priced and ideal in this sort of weather. It is a slightly under-appreciated room and the chicken dish (you can watch Julio and me on Citycooks at 9am on the 28th) a tour de force of intense saucing. And the lamb osso buco (2 shanks) is, if I may say so, awesome. If not downright phenomenal.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I have not been to Sun Sui Wah. Other than that, just about everywhere at least once.

My wife had to drag me into Vij's a few years back. "I don't like Indian food" I said ( I wonder where my four year old gets it from )

Come on, you'll like it she said. " You are a Chef, you should try everything !

I decided it was not a good day to get into a battle of wits with my wife as I was unarmed.

I had heard lots of things about Vij's and was curious but did not have a desire to eat Indian food. Bad memories of things my parents would bring home in the early 80's

We waited and were given Chai and some naan bread. Vij came over and I proceeded to tell him I did not like spicy food as I was filling my face with this delicious bread.

He says to me , " how is the spice on that bread ? " ( Sly fox , I felt like I was being set up )

Great I said as I continued to stuff it in !

None of my food is any spicier than that !

I threw caution to the wind and ordered so much food I could barely walk out, but it was fantastic. I have been back as often as I can, take visitors from out of town there, get Rangoli and take it home.

I love this place and can't believe how many meals my wife had there without me because I thought I did not like Indian food.

I wish I could go back in time and trade in the greasy burgers I ate on those occasions for Lamb popsicles. What a fool I was.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Let's see. The "To Eat At" list tallies up at Chambar (damn, I can hear those frites calling my name), Cioppino (I don't know if my wallet can take a hit like that), Bis Moreno (too snooty or not too snooty... that is the question), En, Velvet, Blue Water Cafe (but I gather I'm not missing much), the new Richmond incarnation of Gyoza King, Shiru-Bay, Go Fish, the William Tell, the new izakaya place at Davie and Denman whose name slips my mind (chalk it up to Mommy Brain), Tojo's (ducks and hides), Feenie's (Lumiere, yes, but not yet Feenie's), and La Regalade. So much food, so little time.

Only in August did I have my first meal at West. Dear God. By far, one of the best meals I've had in Vancouver if not top of the list. Arne, run, don't walk there. Chef Hawksworth's White Chocolate Souffle is a dessert bordering on the sublime.

And for those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure of dining at The Pear Tree, don't hesitate to make that trip out to Burnaby. The cozy venue and Scott Jaeger's cooking are perfect on a cold and rainy fall evening.

Edited because I really wanna try Gord Martin's fish and chips.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

After spending 4 years living just 5 short blocks from Vijs, I am embarassed to say that I never ventured in. I love Indian food too. What was I thinking. Well, today, since I am still really sick and not cooking I went to Rangoli to bring home some food. OH MY GOD!! What a treat. I was drooling over the Naan before it even came out of the bag. Dinner will be fantastic this evening. Hopefully I can eat :sad: I have been to La Gavroche, Le Crocodile, Lumiere, not Feenies, but I really wasnèt all that impressed with Lumiere. For the money, I would rather go to Le Crocodile. Now, where exactly will I find Phnom PenhÉ As I said, Ièm not cooking, so it may be an option for later in the week, or even tomorrow.

Now, where exactly will I find Phnom PenhÉ  As I said, Ièm not cooking, so it may be an option for later in the week, or even tomorrow.

244 East Georgia Street east of Main; closed Tuesdays. Tell them you're a friend of Keith Talent. That and about $4.50 will secure you a prime table and an icy beer.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Here's my list of places I have yet to try: Lumiere, Bis Moreno, (Chambar and Go Fish -but don't think these really count as they are so new), Villa del Lupo, dining room at Mission Hill but have been to the Terrace, Bin 941 or 942, Circolo, Rodney's, Gotham and Morton's, Phnom Penh, La Terrazza, Shiru-Bay, Whole Foods, Maurya,Tamarind and Coast.

So now the challenge is how many can we knock off our lists and by when?

Cheers,

Karole

Damn my second rate education, it clearly let me down badly in the area of Cambodian spelling conventions. As an excuse, I attended school during the Vander Zalm reign as education minister, so at least I've got a good excuse. I think I should be credited for doing as much as I do. Talk about The Lost Generation...The embarrasing thing is I originally had it down correctly, looked at it and thought that doesn't look right, it needs another vowel somewhere. Doh!

Jamie, I like Pearl Castle three/four doors down from Ellie for lunch right now. Corner of Cambie and Sexsmith. 6.95 and the mention of my name gets you Chili chicken, rice, three side salads/pickle dishes, plus two frozen creme filled puff pastry for desert. Room looks more like a hip lounge than a cheap and cheerful lunch joint. Plus, as an added bonus, they play Canto-pop of the type that doesn't make your ears bleed, something I wasn't aware existed. Also, I think they have a Cambie street location for the suburb-phobic, but honestly it's best in my opinion to go full pull, stroll into the location that garners quizitive looks from the clientele seeing a Caucasian walk in.

I'm going to check out Gary Soups recco above (well actually after I hit Post it will be below, but it's above right now,) at the Richmond Market for lunch today, word will be forthcoming.

Check out Prata Man for takeout Curry Mee on Garden City between Bridgeport and Cambie, in the strip mall with 7-11. As Jeffy Boy originally noted, it's the perfect lunch time heat level, any spicier and you'd want a beer, and personally speaking, that just turns into an afternoon spent napping under my desk.

Do I detect another dinner coming on?? Let's discuss on the 5th.

As Jeffy Boy originally noted, it's the perfect lunch time heat level, any spicier and you'd want a beer, and personally speaking, that just turns into an afternoon spent napping under my desk.

And napping is bad because ???? Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with George and his live-in desk :laugh:

A.

Keith,

Thanks for the directions. I've been driving out to meetings on Horseshoe Way (you know, next door to Nebraska) the past couple of months (yes, I pack a thermal blanket, sand and extra provisions in case I'm marooned), just knowing that, in the spirit of this thread, I'm passing superior dining opportunities by. No more.

Damn my second rate education, it clearly let me down badly in the area of Cambodian spelling conventions.

Had you just been quiet, we would have all assumed that the "Phenom" spelling was intentional, because of your enormous wit in other arenas, etc. But no, the Talent brand is founded on withering, unstinting honesty and, also in the spirit of this thread, you 'fessed up. We salute you.

So at the risk of sounding a pedant, I feel compelled to alert you to another concern, this one a dangling modifier:

As an excuse, I attended school during the Vander Zalm reign as education minister, . . .

This reads as though you served under Mr. V as education minister. In checking my notes of that Fan-tas-tic era, I can confirm to you that his cabinet, with the possible exception of Faye Leung, was completely devoid of Talent. We would now ask you to tuck that nasty dangler back in your sock.

Seriously now, many thanks for the tips and techniques for circumnavigating the Flat Empire.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I tried Phnom Penh for the first time this summer and I too fell in love with the squid :wub: A few places I have no excuse for not trying yet … Villa Del Lupo, Pastis, Tojo’s and Lumiere (have only tried the tasting bar and Feenie’s).

Can anyone think of places that they had always intended on trying, but now they’re not even around anymore? Off the top of my head I can think of Vong’s, Saltimbocca and Marine Drive.

I’ve been geeky enough to keep a list going on my Palm too. In the last month I’ve been lucky to have crossed Yuji’s, La Regalade and Chambar off my list, but there are still many more to go. A few examples; Fiction, Pair Bistro, Cassis, Go Fish (well, technically I’ve been there, but it wasn’t open), Guu, Umami, Green Lettuce and Sushi Wabi Sabi. Although I’m completely upto the challenge of getting all of these places crossed off my list sooner than later, I'm not sure if my wallet would be able to handle it.

Do I detect another dinner coming on?? Let's discuss on the 5th.

A dinner, Daddy-A? How 'bout we rent a van, start early, and get serious. I'm going to recommend Richmond.

J.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Yo Jamie (I thoght you may appreciate a jocular greeting), your erudite grammar fixation is second only to your hyperbole re. the trek required to get to Horseshoe Way. I suggest a GPS in the next Maw family vehicle. If it's taking you more than 20 or 25 minutes to get there from anywhere in the city to Steveston Highway, you may want to reconsider your route. I realize on paper, taking the Lougheed out to that little ferry, crossing the river, zipping down to Highway 10 then following it back to the tunnel may look like it skirts Richmond's notorious traffic, but it really does cost more time than it saves.

I kinda like the Nebraska reference though. With the exception that if Richmond had anything besides topography in common with the Cornhusker state, getting a good steak wouldn't be so damn difficult. Perhaps the Richmond Chamber of Commerce should consider a new advert campaign, "Come visit Nebraska-by-the-sea", go after the downmarket money that thinks Carmel-by-the-sea is to ritzy.

Perhaps the Richmond Chamber of Commerce should consider a new advert campaign, "Come visit Nebraska-by-the-sea", go after the downmarket money that thinks Carmel-by-the-sea is to ritzy.

Indeed. "Garden City" never really took off. Maybe they should rename some of those numbered streets while they're at it. Ellie's Place has a certain ring to it, while Chatter's Boulevard may not work for everone, although Curry Mee Home has a certain notion of gospel to it. But U-Pick Avenue sounds like a cheap pun.

Truth be known, "by-the-sea" et al is not without its perils. You'll note that San Francisco is soft-peddling its old marketing moniker "Baghdad-by-the-Bay" these days.

Free pint on November 5th to anyone who can answer what post-WWII restaurant had "by-the-sea" in its name? Free Hints: It was a room with a view and its successor restaurant had the famous Truman Stanyer tinkling the ivories.

I suggest a GPS in the next Maw family vehicle. If it's taking you more than 20 or 25 minutes to get there from anywhere in the city to Steveston Highway, you may want to reconsider your route.

Keith, we've had GPS and sonar since I was riding a trike. But mysteriously, it always seems to cut out in Wyoming.

But to bring us back on topic, who's up for a tour of Asian markets and restaurants in Richmond? I, for one, would like to get Shanghaied.

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

A few names mentioned elsewhere in this thread are definitely worth a visit if not on your lists. Pear Tree, Villa del Lupo and Vij's. Had a late dinner at Vij's last night. Food, service and ambience...all AAA. Even without Vikram manning the ship.

My list of "Must Go" places include: Chambar, Cru, L'Emotion and La Regalade.

I'm not at all embarrassed to admit that I have never eaten in a MacDonald's. :wacko:

I grew up in a relatively remote part of the country and even as a student in a larger town that had a MickeyD the smell put me off completely.

Owning a St Bernard who was totally enamoured of Mickey's burgers and feeding her 4 @ time (that's 4 bites in total) exposed me to more of that smell-enough to last a lifetime.