• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fort Jackson, SC Recommendations

Nutley Resident

I did a search on "Fort Jackson" and came up with nothing, so I must post this question. My wife & I will be visiting Fort Jackson Military Grounds for our son's graduation from Basic Training in mid-November. We would like to take him out for a good steak but we have no clue of what is in that area. We will be staying at a Days Inn in/near a Ft. Jackson Mall.

Any recommendations? Thank you in advance!

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Did a little research on the options: since it is so close to Columbia, those restaurants are no doubt the best bet for a steak .. In Fort Jackson, because it is a base, the dining options will be decidedly less formal ... congratulations on your son's graduation from Basic Training!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Did a little research on the options: since it is so close to Columbia, those restaurants are no doubt the best bet for a steak .. In Fort Jackson, because it is a base, the dining options will be decidedly less formal ... congratulations on your son's graduation from Basic Training!

Thank you, Melissa! We are very proud of his accomplishments and his life's direction. This is why we want to celebrate with him in the very short hours we have to spend on our upcoming trip. You commented that you did research. What did you find specifically? Can you cite a particular restaurant?

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Hampton Street Vineyard ... the menus are here .. it is in Columbia, please be aware ... renting a car?

and then please look over the menu at Dianne's on Devine which looks lovely as well ... also in Columbia.

We would like to take him out for a good steak
is in your initial post so I can say that both places have excellent beef choices on their menus!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

used to be stationed in sumter, just down the road, and while it's pretty casual, Yesterday's in Five Points has pretty good food. congats to your son!! BTW, that's in Columbia.

Edited by mighty quinn (log)

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

The mall near Ft. Jackson is Columbia Place Mall, in Northeast Columbia, I'm assuming. If so, there really isn't much of anything on that side of town besides the usual chain restaurants (i.e. Longhorn, Outback, etc.).

I'd definitely rent a car and check out somewhere else.... The French Quarter Filet at Mr. Friendly's, topped with their homemade pimiento cheese (made with in-house roasted red peppers), is fairly good. Website with menu is here: Mr. Friendly's. Also Hampton St. Vineyard is another one I'd highly recommend. For both of these you'll definitely need a vehicle to travel to - they are located in downtown, within 5-10 mins of Ft. Jackson but are on the opposite end of the base.