• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Entertaining Season Begins

Marlene

I'd be very interested in hearing about others entertaining and how you plan your menu etc.  :smile:

I have to put on a dinner party for 16 for my wife's co-workers. Most of them could be considered "country folks" who don't care for fine dining, but I always try to do something a bit different for them. This year, I'll serve them two types of beef: grilled, aged sirloin and then beef cheeks. I won't tell them about the beef cheeks until they're done. I do need to come up with another name for this cut, however. Any ideas?

Another problem with this crowd is dealing with a laundry list of dietary concerns: lactose intolerance, allergic to shellfish, chocolate and nuts, don't care for seafood, won't eat red meat, and so on. I'm still serving the beef, because it's Mrs. Varmint who doesn't eat the red meat. :unsure: I'll cook some tuna for her.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

"I won't tell them about the beef cheeks until they're done"

Just say it's braised beef from a special muscle in the front quarter and talk a lot about how long and slowly it was cooked. Some things you just need to tap dance over for the ultimate pleasure of all.

Thanks to everyone for ideas.  I think I need to get the kids in bed (yes, it's way early, but it's way dark) and mull these ideas over.  Yes, themed luncheons chould be a great thing.

And, tomorrow or Monday, after I've done doodling, be prepared to give more advice.

You folks are gold.

I've had good luck and delighted the older crowd doing the kind of things that were popular or considered worldly when they were younger. If you are doing lunches - then small servings are in order but you can still do 3 courses. A small serving of soup- especially a vegetable puree like butternut squash or mushroom, a composed salad and a small dessert or cake. Also never underestimate the popularity of a well made chicken pot pie. My best advice is to keep the food relatively simple and pick things that are significant to the guests.

Your mother sounds like an amazing and wonderful woman.

Thanks Jake. I'm not sure I'm good enough to attempt Jamie's stuffing :blink: , but yes, I'm considering it.  Perhaps the same parisianne potatoes I did in my first dinner do you think?  They are pretty simple to do, and aren't overpowering in taste.  On the other hand, I'm feeling adventurous these days in terms of trying out more complex things, so if there's a potato dish out there that would work well with this, I'm all ears.

I'm going to go all radical on you and suggest that you don't stuff the roast. You've got plenty of food already, and some of it's on the heavy side. I'd rather see you do a realtively simple chile or tart fruit glaze on the pork, and set your adventurous mind to something else, like an intermezzo to clear the palate and lighten the tummy between the mains and your friend's mystery dessert.

For potatoes, I love your version of parisienne, but what about maggiethecat's tater madeleines?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

like an intermezzo to clear the palate and lighten the tummy between the mains and your friend's mystery dessert.

:blink:

For potatoes, I love your version of parisienne, but what about maggiethecat's tater madeleines

did I miss this somewhere?

I like the idea of Jamies mustard spread on the roast, but perhaps you could explain the chili glaze?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

For potatoes, I love your version of parisienne, but what about maggiethecat's tater madeleines

did I miss this somewhere?

Maggie makes madeleines

Chile glaze later.

What means blinking after intermezzo suggestion?

I'm clicking on that link and nothing is happening. I'll wait for the chili glaze.

blinking means Huh?

Marlene

Now they sound perfect, except I don't have any of those kind of pans. Damn.

Muffin tins maybe? :unsure: Nope, I don't think so. I need to go find a kitchen store. (sigh)

huh, means huh? :blink:

Marlene

Now they sound perfect, except I don't have any of those kind of pans.  Damn. 

Muffin tins maybe? :unsure:  Nope, I don't think so.  I need to go find a kitchen store.  (sigh)

huh, means huh? :blink:

Marlene, check further after the post on the madelaines - someone made them in muffin pans.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This year, I'll serve them two types of beef: grilled, aged sirloin and then beef cheeks.  I won't tell them about the beef cheeks until they're done.

I would avoid telling everyone you served them beef cheeks. The crowd might not forgive you. I say this from experience. Some years ago I served bison to a crowd but didn't disclose it until afterwards. Some of my guests freaked when they found out they had eaten bison and bring it up to this day. I'm amazed they still trust me to feed them.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Is it OK to ask for some advice here, so I don't start a new thread? I am having a dinner party this Saturday night. I know how it goes from middle to end:

Braised short ribs with turnips, or possibly fingerling potatoes, or both

cheese plate (1 blue, one soft) with pear slices

mousse au chocolat

What I am not sure of is how to start the thing. OK, German crowd, some a little older, I'm guessing not too adventurous. I need 2 dishes: 1) I want to have one thing sitting out with apperatifs, and 2) a salad, soup or appetizer for when they first sit at the table. I don't want things to get too heavy, because the reast of the meal is a bit rich.

For the starter, I was thinking smoked salmon on black bread with (very German) horseradish cream. Or possibly homemade potato chips with aioli. Or...?

For the second thing, I thought fennel might be nice, possibly a shaved salad with orange slices and black olives. I don't know if I could find frisee but that could be another possibility. Or I was thinking of lightly grilling either endive or radiccio with some sort of goat cheese for a salad...or...a soup of some sort...?

Since the other stuff can be made in advance I am quick with a knife I am fairly flexible about the amount of last-minute work involved.

Marlene, I've been away from the forum for a week so some comments may be late, but here are some random thoughts:

On reductions: measure your juices, sauce, whatever in a measuring cup large enough to hold all of it. Keep cup on stove as you are reducing and occasionally pour sauce into cup until it measures exactly half (or 1/3 or whatever you are going for).

Crown roast: my favorite stuffing is mushroom souffle, no good for you. Wouldn't you know practically everything I can think of contains mushrooms? I agree, don't stuff it as the stuffing may not be done when the pork is. You could fill the crown after baking with brussels sprouts, small roasted potatoes, glazed apple rings, etc.

Your catered party: if the pasta dish is meant to be an alternate main dish to the beef, OK. But if you think most people will take some of everything, pilaf and pasta are kinda weird together. If you think of them as alternate side dishes to the beef, it makes more sense.

Mousses are great do-ahead desserts for entertaining: lemon with raspberry sauce; coconut with caramel or chocolate sauce; chocolate with whipped cream. For a larger group I once did all of these.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Marlene, I've been away from the forum for a week so some comments may be late, but here are some random thoughts:

On reductions:  measure your juices, sauce, whatever in a measuring cup large enough to hold all of it.  Keep cup on stove as you are reducing and occasionally pour sauce into cup until it measures exactly half (or 1/3 or whatever you are going for).

Crown roast:  my favorite stuffing is mushroom souffle, no good for you.  Wouldn't you know practically everything I can think of contains mushrooms?  I agree, don't stuff it as the stuffing may not be done when the pork is.  You could fill the crown after baking with brussels sprouts, small roasted potatoes, glazed apple rings, etc.

Your catered party:  if the pasta dish is meant to be an alternate main dish to the beef, OK.  But if you think most people will take some of everything, pilaf and pasta are kinda weird together.  If you think of them as alternate side dishes to the beef, it makes more sense. 

Mousses are great do-ahead desserts for entertaining:  lemon with raspberry sauce; coconut with caramel or chocolate sauce; chocolate with whipped cream.  For a larger group I once did all of these.

Ruth, your comments are welcome and never too late! The crown roast is this weekend, the catered affair next.

thanks for the hint on reducing. It's exactly the sort of hint I need!

As for the mushroom thing, it's ok, I find them everywhere. I'm beginning to like the idea of not stuffing the roast, but perhaps filling it afterwards with vegetables of some sort. Maybe the carrots, potatoes, if I don't do the madeleines, and glazed apple slices sound awesome.

The pasta is meant to be an alternative to the meat, not a compliment. Think of it as our vegetarian dish. I chose the pilaf dish specifcally at the request of my husband who has paid no attention to the menu except to request it :biggrin:

I adore mousses and make them often.

Thank you so much for your help!

Marlene

blinking means Huh?

Pear-rosemary sorbet, with a splash of slightly reduced late-harvest riesling (just close your eyes and don't think about the cost or the violence you're doing to the wine. It will taste great) or Poire William.

For a chile glaze, I think you have a number of possibilities:

- puree a can of chipotles in adobo, rub lemon juice over the exposed meat, and brush the paste on before roasting.

- ground ancho, limeade concentrate, cayenne and honey.

- soy sauce, ancho, brown sugar, black pepper and reduced apple juice.

- tomato, pequins (sauteed briefly, then whizzed in the food processor),Worcestershire sauce, molasses

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I think I will go unstuffed with the roast and do parisianne potatoes and roasted carrots to fill the middle. Maggie's potatoes will have to wait for another day, although I'm anxious to try them.

My husband will make his famous tomato/ onion and blue cheese salad.

Nibbles will be the brie in phyllo, and shrimp cocktails and one more thing that I havent' figured out yet.

I'm still torn between Dave's glaze and Jamie's mustard paste. :rolleyes:

Marlene

- soy sauce, ancho, brown sugar, black pepper and reduced apple juice.

This one particularly intriques me. Do you have quantities Dave? Also a general question on roasting carrots. Normally when I roast carrots, I do so by putting them around the roast. That won't work this time I don' t think since the roast will be sitting on a rack.

So to roast them separately in the oven, just throw them into a pan and roast? Add butter? lard? anything? for how long?

Marlene

Now here's a question. The WS cookbook specifiies roasting a crown pork, bones down. Really? And would I still cover the bones with foil if I did this?

Marlene

Now here's a question.  The WS cookbook specifiies roasting a crown pork, bones down.  Really?  And would I still cover the bones with foil if I did this?

I roast on a rack, up, with the bones foiled. Never had any problem.

Pork will have quite a bit of fat in pan so you would want to do glazed carrots separately I would think. Blanche carrots then roast in oven with butter or evoo, depending on which is the base of the glaze you will add during the last bit of baking. I have also roasted entirely in the glaze, just watch amount of sugar and time re burning.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Is it OK to ask for some advice here, so I don't start a new thread? I am having a dinner party this Saturday night. I know how it goes from middle to end:

Braised short ribs with turnips, or possibly fingerling potatoes, or both

cheese plate (1 blue, one soft) with pear slices

mousse au chocolat

What I am not sure of is how to start the thing. OK, German crowd, some a little older, I'm guessing not too adventurous. I need 2 dishes: 1) I want to have one thing sitting out with apperatifs, and 2) a salad, soup or appetizer for when they first sit at the table. I don't want things to get too heavy, because the reast of the meal is a  bit rich.

For the starter, I was thinking smoked salmon on black bread with (very German) horseradish cream. Or possibly homemade potato chips with aioli. Or...?

For the second thing, I thought fennel might be nice, possibly a shaved salad with orange slices and black olives. I don't know if I could find frisee but that could be another possibility. Or I was thinking of lightly grilling either endive or radiccio with some sort of goat cheese for a salad...or...a soup of some sort...?

Since the other stuff can be made in advance I am quick with a knife I am fairly flexible about the amount of last-minute work involved.

For the first thing, I favour the smoked salmon. and for the second thing, definately I light salad of some sort. Or skip the appetizer and do as Dave suggest by serving a sorbet inbetween courses.

Your dinner party sounds lovely :smile:

Marlene

I'd be very interested in hearing about others entertaining and how you plan your menu etc.   :smile:

I have to put on a dinner party for 16 for my wife's co-workers. Most of them could be considered "country folks" who don't care for fine dining, but I always try to do something a bit different for them. This year, I'll serve them two types of beef: grilled, aged sirloin and then beef cheeks. I won't tell them about the beef cheeks until they're done. I do need to come up with another name for this cut, however. Any ideas?

Another problem with this crowd is dealing with a laundry list of dietary concerns: lactose intolerance, allergic to shellfish, chocolate and nuts, don't care for seafood, won't eat red meat, and so on. I'm still serving the beef, because it's Mrs. Varmint who doesn't eat the red meat. :unsure: I'll cook some tuna for her.

If they ask, I'd just mumble "beef" and quickly change the subject. What are you serving with these beef dishes Mr. Varmint?

Marlene

Marlene, are you putting the lovely little paper hats on the roast?  :raz:  :raz:

I doubt it. I don't have any :biggrin:

Marlene

Marlene, are you putting the lovely little paper hats on the roast?  :raz:  :raz:

We're all adults here (in age, anyway). Let's call them by their correct names, shall we? Panties.

Soy-ancho-apple glaze

1 C soy sauce

1 small can apple juice concentrate (I think that's probably about a cup)

6 T dark brown sugar

6 T ground ancho

4 t ground black pepper

1 T lard, butter or vegetable oil

Combine soy sauce, apple juice concentrate and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Reduce by about 50% over medium heat (be careful -- it gets really foamy and will boil over into a nasty mess if you use too much heat). You should have a really dark, intense syrup.

Heat the fat in a small skillet or saute pan. As soon as it's melted, toss in the ancho and pepper. As soon as it starts to bubble and/or develops a really intense aroma, remove it from the heat and allow to cool.

When both components are at room temperature, combine them. Brush on all exposed surfaces of roast before you put it in the oven, and again halfway through cooking.

I found a pear-rosemary granita recipe, if you're interested in that for your entrement.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.