• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Entertaining Season Begins

Marlene

Around this time of year, my entertaining kicks up 5 or six notches. I do number of dinner parties through out the year, but from now until Christmas, I'll likely be doing at least one at least once a week. This season culminates for me in a catered party for about 50 people in our home in Nov. and then the family dinners start.

We kicked it off last night with a dinner for 6.

To begin I tried the Brie in Phyllo Leaves. I've never done this before:

Working quickly, I used a total of 10 leaves to enrobe the Brie.

gallery_6080_280_1098636867.jpg

It doesn't look fancy

gallery_6080_280_1098638031.jpg

But it sure was good!

gallery_6080_280_1098636928.jpg

A couple of scotches of note were offered as well as various other libations

gallery_6080_280_1098637313.jpg

The one of the left was brought from Scotland for my husband

We began dinner with French Onion Soup. This soup is made using Onion Confit as a base

gallery_6080_280_1098637157.jpg

The main course is naturally, Prime Rib. In this case, it was a boneless Prime Rib which we had intended to spit roast, but the weather sucked

gallery_6080_280_1098637236.jpg

Convection roasted at 300 degrees, for 18 minutes a pound, it was beautifully rare. Note the crispy bits in the upper corner of the plate :smile:

gallery_6080_280_1098637264.jpg

This was served with Parisianne Potatoes, that I had marinated in olive oil, garlic and rosemary and tossed into the roasting pan

gallery_6080_280_1098637201.jpg

And French Bread. The dough was started in my bread maker, then shaped and baked in the oven.

gallery_6080_280_1098636956.jpg

The wine chosen for the night to accompany the meal

gallery_6080_280_1098637338.jpg

The meal was finished off with a Devil's Food Cake. I just didn't have time to decorate this like I would normally try to do. The cake isn't really leaning, it just looks that way.

gallery_6080_280_1098636994.jpg

gallery_6080_280_1098637051.jpg

gallery_6080_280_1098637085.jpg

There is a story to frosting the cake, but I'll keep that for another time.

Dinner was finished off with coffee and liquers and pillows for all.

• Like 1

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Very nice Marlene.

I also roasted a Standing Rib Roast last evening. I deboned the roast and retied the bones on to serve as the rack. Fresh rosemary under the twine trussing, rubbed down with evoo and freshly smashed garlic.

Portabella Mushroom stock reduction was a hit.

Separate mushroom stems and caps. Slice caps 1/3-inch thick. In a food processor pulse stems until chopped coarse and in a small saucepan add to 3 cups of Beef Stock. Simmer mixture 10 minutes. Pour mixture through a sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on solids, and discard solids. Reserve

Remove from Rib Roast pan using a bulb baster or spoon skim all but about 1/4 cup fat from pan. In pan on top of stove sauté mushroom caps over moderately high heat, stirring, 2 minutes. Add mushroom liquid, and any juices from beef and boil 5 minutes. Stir in beurre manié (beurre manié made by kneading together 1 tablespoon softened unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour and boil, stirring, about 3 minutes, or until thickened slightly.)

Spoon mixture over sliced beef.

Onion Confit.... ohhhhhhh my

woodburner

This looks wonderful, Marlene. I'm now thinking about changing my menu for tonight. I want red meat.

I really think we need to hear the frosting story, though.

And if it doesn't get too personal, what's with the pillows?

Beef is good for you. Especially if you are laying floors that might make you dizzy :raz:

The frosting Story:

Well, I thought I'd be smart since I didn't have time to decorate the cake. I figured I'd add a layer of whipped cream to the middle along with the frosting. This, I thought, would be asthetically pleasing besides tasting good. Well, um... I did that, then proceeded to put the top layer on the cake and tried to frost the top and sides.

Oops. The top layer kept sliding off and whipped cream was oozing out everywhere. Since I had about half an hour before my guests arrived (somehow, I got started later than I had planned yesterday :blink: ), I took the top layer off, scraped all the whipped cream off, and put the cake in the freezer for 15 minutes to re set the frosting. Which is why I ran out of time to get fancy with the decorating. In the meantime, I was standing there enrobing the brie, in my fuzzy slippers and cake splattered shirt when I realized I had about 10 minutes to get dressed, get the cake frosted and bake the brie. Oh and the timer went off for the bread right around then.

I'm not telling you about the pillows. We throw good parties :biggrin:

Marlene

[Looks great Marlene, what did you have for a vegetable, besides potatoes?

What's a vegetable? :blink::biggrin:

Marlene

Someday, I'll figure out the multiple quote thing

Woodburner, that sounds awesome. I would not have been able to eat your mushroom stock reduction, but it still sounds good. And yes, it's confit season again! :smile:

Very nice Marlene.

I also roasted a Standing Rib Roast last evening. I deboned the roast and retied the bones on to serve as the rack.  Fresh rosemary under the twine trussing, rubbed down with evoo and freshly smashed garlic.

Portabella Mushroom stock reduction was a hit.

Separate mushroom stems and caps. Slice caps 1/3-inch thick. In a food processor pulse stems until chopped coarse and in a small saucepan add to 3 cups of Beef Stock. Simmer mixture 10 minutes. Pour mixture through a sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on solids, and discard solids. Reserve

Remove from Rib Roast pan using a bulb baster or spoon skim all but about 1/4 cup fat from pan. In pan on top of stove sauté mushroom caps over moderately high heat, stirring, 2 minutes. Add mushroom liquid, and any juices from beef and boil 5 minutes. Stir in beurre manié (beurre manié made by kneading together 1 tablespoon softened unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour and boil, stirring, about 3 minutes, or until thickened slightly.)

Spoon mixture over sliced beef.

Onion Confit.... ohhhhhhh my

woodburner

Marlene

I want red meat too -- that's a gorgeous roast, Marlene! And I'm glad the brie and phyllo worked out for you.

Remember folks: Onions are a vegetable!

In the meantime, I was standing there enrobing the brie, in my fuzzy slippers and cake splattered shirt when I realized I had about 10 minutes to get dressed, get the cake frosted and bake the brie. Oh and the timer went off for the bread right around then

This sounds hauntingly familiar. You mean the phone didn't ring, you couldn't find a couple of serving pieces, and discovered you were out of toilet paper?

I'm guessing the pillows were clutched to tummies thrumming with scotch, beef and chocolate cake.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hee hee I want to come to one of your parties!  :laugh:

Try wrapping a hunk of Havarti in phyllo and baking it -- if you liked the brie you'll like it with Havarti, too.

All my eGullet friends would be welcome at one of my parties :wub: I'll try the havarti with the Crown Roast of Pork I'm planning for my next party. Never mind that I haven't done a Crown Roast before. What are guests for other than to experiment on! :biggrin:

Marlene

Marlene! Everything looks beautiful! The devils food cake....did you make that from scratch or what? It's so delicious and dark looking! I am hoping you will continue this thread, as I also am starting off my entertaining season and entertain like you do...this is the nice time of year and everyone wants to come for the warm weather. It's great to see new and different ideas, as there is more than one way to skin a cat, but even so......I seem to get tired of doing the same things all the time (since dh and I are ALWAYS invited to all of our parties, hehehe). I just finished having my mother here for a week, and if I weren't so exhausted, I"d post our meals....but will have to save that for another computer seating! Thanks for the inspiration! :smile:

In the meantime, I was standing there enrobing the brie, in my fuzzy slippers and cake splattered shirt when I realized I had about 10 minutes to get dressed, get the cake frosted and bake the brie.  Oh and the timer went off for the bread right around then.

I'm not telling you about the pillows.  We throw good parties :biggrin:

This is usually about the time I run the tip of my index finger through the mandolin and have trouble locating it in the scalloped potatoes.

Conundrum: Do you tell your guests? Answer: Only if they ask why you're having rice.

Thoughtful of you to provide pillows. I had (mistakenly) thought sleepover dinner parties were a strictly Canadian invention, given the vast distances up here and all. Way cheaper than having a designated pilot too.

Question: Horseradish or Keen's mustard?

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

In the meantime, I was standing there enrobing the brie, in my fuzzy slippers and cake splattered shirt when I realized I had about 10 minutes to get dressed, get the cake frosted and bake the brie.  Oh and the timer went off for the bread right around then.

This is usually about the time I run the tip of my index finger through the mandolin and have trouble locating it in the scalloped potatoes.

Conundrum: Do you tell your guests? Answer: Only if they ask why you're having rice.

Thoughtful of you to provide pillows. I had (mistakenly) thought sleepover dinner parties were a strictly Canadian invention, given the vast distances up here and all. Way cheaper than having a designated pilot too.

Jamie

Um , I am Canadian Jamie :biggrin: Horseradish sauce

Marlene

Hee hee I want to come to one of your parties!  :laugh:

Try wrapping a hunk of Havarti in phyllo and baking it -- if you liked the brie you'll like it with Havarti, too.

A truly sterling idea! I love havarti, but had never thought of treating it this way.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Jamie

Um , I am Canadian Jamie :biggrin: Horseradish sauce

Oops, i meant to say Western Canadian, Marlene. Chagrin is me. :shock:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Ah. It's colder here in the East Jamie. My guests get snowed in a lot. :biggrin:

Marlene

Marlene - wonderful, classic Canadian cuisine. Made me long for home - that roast looked just like what my sister made on my last visit. Except that we had Kent County peaches for dessert.

Marlene, your roast looked wonderful. I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all with a Crown Roast of Pork, it's easier than the beef. Will you be stuffing the centre?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Marlene, your roast looked wonderful.  I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all with a Crown Roast of Pork, it's easier than the beef.  Will you be stuffing the centre?

I will be. And I'm open to suggestions on how to do that :smile:

Marlene

Marlene, your roast looked wonderful.  I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all with a Crown Roast of Pork, it's easier than the beef.  Will you be stuffing the centre?

I will be. And I'm open to suggestions on how to do that :smile:

Marlene,

Your last party was such a glory that I'm almost loathe to make recommendations, but we've had the best luck with crown roast of pork:

1. Using a slow roasting temperature similar to your method for the boned prime rib, which we find keeps the beast moist.

2. Setting a coating paste over the roast of apple cider vinegar, whole grain mustard, olive oil and finely chopped sage (and just a hint--half clove) of garlic in the refigerator so that it sets up.

3. For the stuffing: We've enjoyed an apple-based one (Granny Smith) the most, with a subordinate chop of prunes and dried apricots, whole button onions with sage and a hint of cinnamon. Introducing a generous tablespoon or two of decent chutney binds, moistens, and adds complexity; a little more apple cider vinegar tweaks the high notes.

4. For the jus: Apple cider (not vinegar) and a little more whole grain mustard, chopped sage.

5. Vegetables: Roasted root vegetables and a chou rouge of red cabbage sauteed then braised in chicken stock and cider vinegar (dash of caraway seeds optional). On a slow day we might add in a spinach souffle.

6. Starch: Spuds a la dauphinoise, but we hike back slightly on the Gruyere component so that it doesn't overwhelm the pork.

7. Salad: Peppery greens like arugula, simpler the better.

8. Dessert: Lemon pudding lightens the load at the back-end.

9. A great cheese plate and Port to follow makes sense.

Two other options: Head to Morocco (then your party pillows can multi-task) and substitute figs instead of prunes, cumin etc. for sage. Or towards Alsace, and use the red cabbage as a base for the stuffing. But that's a whole different story.

The roast is such a traffic-stopper that you might want to think of serving wine in a large format too. And although there's a lot of acid in the early stages, after cooking it smooths and doesn't frighten the wine.

Best wishes,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Jamie, this is awesome, thank you so much!

On another note, I am now in the midst of planning our very larged catered party. I will post my proposed menu over the next few days and let everyone pick it apart :biggrin:

Marlene

On another note, I am now in the midst of planning our very larged catered party.  I will post my proposed menu over the next few days and let everyone pick it apart :biggrin:

OH yippee! Love, love love seeing menus! Especially when working with caterers....I learn so much! Looking forward to it!

On another note, I am now in the midst of planning our very larged catered party.  I will post my proposed menu over the next few days and let everyone pick it apart :biggrin:

Look forward to seeing it Marlene.

As an addendum to my previous thoughts:

1. Mrs. H. S. Balls (regular or hot) is a good binding medium (chutney) for the stuffing but any decent Major Grey's will do.

2. For the stuffing, the best way to introduce the apple cider vinegar to the mix is to use it to acidulate the apple slices instead of lemon.

Cheers,

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

For the stuffing: We've enjoyed an apple-based one (Granny Smith) the most, with a subordinate chop of prunes and dried apricots, whole button onions with sage and a hint of cinnamon. Introducing a generous tablespoon or two of decent chutney binds, moistens, and adds complexity; a little more apple cider vinegar tweaks the high notes.

Is the base for the stuffing bread, Jamie, & how long do you roast the pork?

Ok, here we go. Let's plan my party menu. This party is one of two major parties we through every year. One at this time of year and one in the late spring/early summer. I will send out 75 invitations, but they are couple based, so assume 150 people. Of those, probably 76 - 80 people will attend in total. However, the invitations must be sent in order to be politically correct and not insult the wrong people :biggrin: . These invitations are formally written out in elegant script. :blink:

We will have a bartender, an on-site chef and two or three servers depending on our final numbers. The caterers will supply all the glasses, plates, utensils etc and many decorations to complement my house which will already be fully decorated for Christmas. I have two ovens for the chef to work with and a 6 burner cooktop.

The party will begin at 7:00 with cocktails and Hors D'oeuvres, with the full buffet menu to follow around 8:30 or 9:00. With the following options, keep in mind that the majority of those in attendance will be accountants who are not noted for their adventursome eating. My clients on the other hand, are funky and willing to try most anything. :biggrin: Of my guests, I have one who is allergic to peanuts, but not deathly so, and a few Jewish people, none of whom keep kosher, but don't eat pork. I have no vegetarians at the moment that I know of.

For the Hors D'oeuvres, I need to select three or 4 of the following. These will be passed around by the waitstaff.

pick 2 hot, 2 cold

Cold

Asiago, Proscuitto Cheese Twists

Roasted Pepper with Basil Aioli Crostini

mini corn bread muffins with jalepeno chicken salad

Salmon, Scallop and cucumber Ceviche Brochette

Trio of Pita Crisps wiht roasted pepper humus

Lobster salad in Phyllo cup

Hot

Spring rolls

mini baked potatoes with proscuitto, scallion and parmesan

Beef Roulade - either teriyake or cracked black pepper

Candied Almond & Brie tartlettes

bacon wrapped oyster with roasted garlic aioli

Smoked Mozzarella & chicken puff pastry purses

For the main Hot Buffet:

pick two vegetables from the following:

Basmati rice with Onion

green bean Almondine

Lyonnaise Potatoes

Rice Pilaf

Whipped Sweet Potatoes

Glazed carrots with honey

Pick one beef dish:

beef stroganoff

Prime Rib

Tournedos Stephanie

Beef Thai Noodles

Pick one Pasta dish:

Manicotti

Tortellini Alfredo

Penne with Hot Italian Sausage and peppers

Pick two Salads

Mandarin Almond greens

Broccoli with a sesame ginger dressing

Tomato Provalone

Spicy Ginger with cashews

Marinated Antipasto

Tabbouleh

Pick two Desserts

Crepes

Chocolate Fondue

Strudel

Bars and Squares

Cheese tray

Fruit tray.

I have a general idea of what I think I'm going to order, but I'm curious to see how many of you think the same way I do, given the information above. :biggrin:

Marlene