• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfectly Cooking Boneless Chicken Breasts

bucktown_boffo

Poaching and baking is fine for some dishes, but I really think the cut benefits from some browning.

One of the problems is that the fashion for chicken breasts, among others, is for them to be very large. This gives you a huge variation in thickness.

It may not be a bad idea to make a sort of butterfly cut in the the non-skin side of the thick end. This will reduce cook time and give you more even cooking.

It should not be too difficult to make a passing chicken breast. But as I said before, the breast is just over-rated. Part of the reason I think this is because it is not very flavorfull and lacks the fat content that tastier parts have. Same with turkey. Everybody wants moist turkey. Heres your first hint:Eat the dark meat.

I think first of all cooking it on the bone is an excellent way to retain moisture not to mention flavour. Most places I've worked roast whole crowns (both breasts on the bone), debone and finish in a hot oven, rest uncovered in a warm spot. Sous vide is an excellent method to retain moisture but lacks the crisp skin of a good roast chicken. For sous vide try soaking it in seasoned buttermilk for a few hours first. Be sure to use a good product that has not been previosly frozen. good luck

I have had the same problem.  However, I have adopted the method of cooking chicken breasts as described in this recipe on Melinda Lee's web site.

This recipe looks delicious. Just a couple of questions.....

I'm not sure exactly what "boiled ham" refers to. Is it thinly sliced deli-style ham? If not, approximately what thickness & weight should it be? Also, after adding the chicken back to the pan, how much longer should it cook?

Thanks.... :smile: