• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kung Fu Cooking

scott123

You know how in kung fu movies, during fight sequences, the combatants will jump in the air and call out the name of their combination?

I can't seem to come up with anything specific at the moment, but they're along the lines of

Iron tiger fist!

or

Eagle Claw!

Or something to that effect. Most of the names have a similar meter to them (triplets? pentuplets?). Sometimes they can be quite obscure and creative.

As a lark, what food related combos can we come up with?

Crispy Bacon Palm!

Steaming weiner kick!

Moussaka Wedge!

Raft Clarifying Broth!

These are just off the top of my head.

You mean like

Sliced Finger Curse

Burnt Foot Hop

Lobster Claw Dodge

Fogged Spectacle Step

Wet Clog Slide

?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Those are great! Although don't forget your exclamation points. Combination names are always barked at the opponent, and quite forcefully at that :smile:

Suzanne, rent Iron Monkey. That's one of my favorites. The arch villian uses a move called "Poisoned Buddha Palm." His kung fu is very strong.

It's often Hidden Sugar, Crouching Flour in my kitchen where I frequently perform such graceful moves as Oil Splatter Leap! and Falling Knife Hop! but my favorites are Read Label Squint and Old Bottle Throw!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Y'all are too funny!:laugh:

Ah, Yetty...we must hail from the same kungfu school, because I've got an Oil Splatter Shield/Shriek (as appropriate) pose, a variant form of your Oil Splatter Leap; whichever is more graceful is debatable.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

The Burning Eye of Habanero Palm.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Clearly you need to see the movie God of Cookery. It's a sort of Iron Chef meets Kung Fu movie. Gorgeous and very funny.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

It's often Hidden Sugar, Crouching Flour in my kitchen  where I frequently perform such graceful moves as Oil Splatter Leap! and Falling Knife Hop! but my favorites are  Read Label Squint and Old Bottle Throw!

Read label squint... hmmmmm... formidable. Sounds like something that takes many years to master :wink:

Clearly you need to see the movie God of Cookery.  It's a sort of Iron Chef meets Kung Fu movie.  Gorgeous and very funny.

Yes yes yes! If you're any kind of wire-fu fan, God of Cookery is a lot of fun. Here's an online review of the movie, which gives an idea of the plot.

Personally, I disagree with the reviewer's comment about how "Non-Chinese audiences will have to suffer the additional onus of sitting through some really bad subtitling" - but then, I find the awkward English of subtitles to be an enjoyable part of the experience.

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

Diving Pepper Stab!

Grabbing Toast Ouch!

Over Kat Hop!

Bleeding Digit Lick!

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

The Claw of Deveining Shrimp.

Falling Knife Backflip.

Boiling Water Clog-kick.

The Weeping Onion.

The Container of Mystery From the Back of The Fridge Grimace, Gag, And Toss.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

... hmmmmm... formidable.  Sounds like something that takes many years to master :wink:

Formidable, indeed! Time honored techniques of swift retreat! Gleaned from the most venerable master Jade Wok from Sinks of Fury. :blink:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Personally, I disagree with the reviewer's comment about how "Non-Chinese audiences will have to suffer the additional onus of sitting through some really bad subtitling" - but then, I find the awkward English of subtitles to be an enjoyable part of the experience.

:laugh: I'm Chinese - therefore I can really appreciate the comicality of some of the (mis)interpretation. They never fail to have me rolling on the floor! Glad you do too.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Yes, the subtitles are half the fun. It's not like the Legend of Zu where there are big blocks of key plot narration that they don't bother to translate, presumably because they figure that us round-eyes will not grok the Daoist reincarnation philosophy that it appears to be getting into.

But I digress. I hear there'sa another God of Cookery -like movie as well though the name now escapes me. My introduction to God of Cookery came immediately after I was introduced to Iron Chef via a tied battle and half-hour tie-breaker overtime match. What a night.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

• 4 weeks later...

Scott, if they lock me away for this, please come and get me out:

Fists of Curry!

Chilli tears in the eye shadow!

Duel of the cast iron pan biryanis!

Fight of the Karate chop sticks!

Nan-violence in the monkey brains!

Revenge of the Delhi belly!

Technique of the double edged Tandoori skewers!

:laugh: (waiting for the men in white coats)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Shattered Spice Bottle (when I knock it off the counter and it lines my floor with glittering shards)

Bleeding finger of pain!

Burnt ingredients of inattention!

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.