• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25

Possibly the 23rd would work for me.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Sorry everyone. I've been out of town and drop the ball on the Barking Frog dinner. I will call tomorrow and post the available dates. After reading all the posts this looks like the count. Please let me know if I've missed someone or if someone else wants to come.

Mr and Ms Toast

Matsutakekichigai

Mr and Ms little food (if the 23rd)

Lelund

Really Nice

Seagal

Sparrowsfall (needs to see date)

Eden

I had the 25/25 lunch today at Earth and Ocean. The FOH had problems (our server was slammed with two large tables, and though other sections had empty tables, no one came to help him out), so our lunch took almost 2 hours. The food was good, not brilliant, but very nice. The really bad part is that they charged us $3.50 each for iced tea, which I think is gouging. Yeah, they make no money on a $12.50 three course lunch, but hey, they chose to participate. Smoke from the bar also drifted into the dining room. I enjoyed it, especially the plating, which was very pretty, but this was my first time there and I'm not particularly moved to return.

We frequented E&O when Sundstrom was chef but have not been there since he left. Looking forward to trying their $25 for dinner. Smoke from the bar can be a problem so we learned which tables to request. When will Seattle restaurants go smoke free?

Edited by SeAAttle (log)

My two friends and I took a "business lunch" at Vivenda's this week. First off, I liked the warm, buttery colored decor and the view of the Sound. They also had a pretty decent wine by the glass listing, I had the Maryhill Sauv Blanc and the others had the Six Prong red. I later wished I'd gotten that.

We all had the baby greens salad with goat cheese, dried cherries and roasted hazlenut and all agreed it was delicious as well as a generous portion. Perfectly dressed with vinaigrette. For second course, I had the spinach and ricotta ravioli with wild mushroom and tomato sauce. The server couldn't tell me what mushrooms were in it and she mentioned chanterelles but they appeared to be shitakes. Wild? Nevertheless, the dish was excellent, very mushroomy and spicy rich. I should have gotten the red wine... One person had the lamb sandwich which he said was plain and tame, it was really just sliced lamb with focaccia(?) bread and that's it, with another side of salad which was odd. My other friend had the grilled salmon and although that sounds quite bland on the menu it came with roasted tomatoes, lentils and a yogurt sauce and my friend liked it. The fish was perfectly done. For dessert, two of us had the panna cotta with strawberries and passion fruit sauce. We both liked the intense creaminess with the fruit sauce.

Once again, our friend chose wrong and took the raspberry sorbet - he didn't care for the overwhelming fruitiness, and wished he had some chocolate to offset it.

Our complaints? They have a huge markup on the wine. $8.75 for the Six Prong which the menu said was a meritage but it really wasn't a true meritage, just a red blend. At Esquin's that night I found the bottle for $12.49. Although it was a very nice tasting wine... Our friend who likes to be wowed said they're too predictable but he's the one who chose the lamb sandwich and raspberry sorbet. I would definitely go back and try their dinners.

Our complaints?  They have a huge markup on the wine.  $8.75 for the Six Prong which the menu said was a meritage but it really wasn't a true meritage, just a red blend.  At Esquin's that night I found the bottle for $12.49. 

I've kind of given up trying to figure out reasonable mark-up - especially by the glass. What do you consider fair? I've had $6 glasses that I can find by the bottle for $6.99, and I've had $12 glasses that I'm afraid to find out the bottle price on. I guess I expect 3 to 5 x retail price for a glass. Assuming 5 glasses per bottle, you did pretty good - 3.5 times retail.

I've kind of given up trying to figure out reasonable mark-up - especially by the glass. What do you consider fair?

"Typically" a restaurant will charge enough to recover their cost of the wine in two glasses. Their cost is approximately 30 percent less than retail. They tend to get 5 glasses out of a bottle.

So, if a bottle costs the restaurant $20; (about $30 retail) they'll charge $10 a glass. 2 glasses recovers their cost and they have the opportunity to make $30 for the remaining 3 glasses.

However, depending on the preservation system they use, they might not be able to serve the remaining 3 glasses, if for example, they just cover the opening and no one else orders the wine for a week the wine is pretty much unservable. This is why they have to charge so much; it's a risk they are taking by opening the bottle. They are gambling that it will empty within a short period of time. This is why you don't see 1982 Lafite Rothschild being served by the glass. Would you pay $300 for 5 ounces?

The major disclaimer comes on bottles that usually sell for less than $10 retail. This is where restaurants have an opportunity to make a lot of money. Wines like Woodbridge, Mondavi, Gallo... are some of the most popular low-end wines in restaurants. They also cost a restaurant around $5 a bottle, but the restaurant will charge $5 for the glass giving them a 500 percent markup on their cost; if they can sell the entire bottle, which is usually a no brainer for those brands.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Yes, it's a 6-course menu, Sunday thru Thursday....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Our complaints?  They have a huge markup on the wine.  $8.75 for the Six Prong which the menu said was a meritage but it really wasn't a true meritage, just a red blend.  At Esquin's that night I found the bottle for $12.49. 

no surprise on any of it, including the mushroom bit. i've just stopped going to Vivanda -- the price-value thing just doesn't match up.

$8.75 for a glass of Six Prong is highway robbery. retail is $11.50-$14, which i'd target for a glass price of $6 to $6.50. i've seen it by the glass for around $7.50, which is still gouging in my book, no matter the quality. (and it's a great wine.) $8.75 is beyond gouging and well on the way to "we're struggling to cover our lease."

but like i said, i've stopped going to Vivanda.

I had the 25/25 lunch today at Earth and Ocean.  The FOH had problems (our server was slammed with two large tables, and though other sections had empty tables, no one came to help him out), so our lunch took almost 2 hours.  The food was good, not brilliant, but very nice.  The really bad part is that they charged us $3.50 each for iced tea, which I think is gouging.  Yeah, they make no money on a $12.50 three course lunch, but hey, they chose to participate.  Smoke from the bar also drifted into the dining room.  I enjoyed it, especially the plating, which was very pretty, but this was my first time there and I'm not particularly moved to return.

I agree, I was there on Thursday. Food was good, but nothing made me go 'wow'.

Has anyone been to Oceanaire for Lunch?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Boyfriend and I went to Nell's for dinner last night. It was a weird experience. The waiter brought us our entrees before our appetizers. When we told him what was wrong, he apologized and brought us our entrees, and comped boyfriend's beer.

My celery root soup had a nice fresh taste, and boyfriend's duck terrine with mustard was great--rich, but not too rich, and the mustard and pickled vegetables were a nice touch.

Then we waited quite a while for our entrees. My duck confit was rich and savory, but the cabbage was a bit oversalted. Boyfriend had risotto, which he thought was good. I usually find risotto boring (I think it's the texture that bothers me), so I can't say whether this was a particularly good one or not.

Dessert was blah. I had the pear tart, which was dry and flavorless (though the accompanying ice cream and caramel sauce perked it up a little). Boyfriend had the chocolate peanut butter brownie, also way too dry, and not nearly chocolate-y enough. I'm getting very frustrated with desserts in high-end restaurants. They all sound great, but it's getting harder and harder to find ones that are really a capper to a great meal, rather than just a bland sugary concoction of empty calories. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to bake.

just to show i do still enjoy dining out in SEA ...

had another wonderful dinner @ Zoe last week. the 25 for $25 offering was quite good, though i diverted to the regular menu. wasn't overdazzled by the pork confit, but it was tasty enough. everything else -- especially the wild mushroom/polenta starter -- was richly flavored, layered and divine. veal stock was the key.

service impeccable too, which is saying something on a Thursday night during the 25/25 blitz.

Yes, it's a 6-course menu, Sunday thru Thursday....

have you seen the menu? :smile:

Like everything else, it changes daily. As far as I can tell. Think Autumn - celery root, mushrooms, parsnips, figs, panna cotta (!), maybe dungies (there was a salad with last week) and you'll have an idea.

Checked on my way by last night - add duck and persimmons and I had almost the whole menu!

Edited by tsquare (log)

Okay, It's been done. I've made reservations at Barking Frog on November 23rd. I've got a table for 14 by the fireplace. Please PM before Friday the 12th with your solid commitment so I can finalize everything. At this point with everyone that has expressed an interest there is still room for more. So if you are interested PM me and we just try to make sure everyone can come. I told them I would have a firm count by Friday. Thanks to everyone for being so patient. Looking forward to seeing everyone that appears.

Has anyone been to Oceanaire for Lunch?

We had lunch last week at Oceannaire, It was my first time there, and I left with mixed feelings (good fresh seafood, but not outstanding preparations, overall). My first course was Fried Catfish w/ hot-sweet honey mustard vinaigrette. This was excellent. Several perfect crispy pieces of catfish were served over a vinaigrette that I liked more than I thought I would, (it was more like a sauce), and topped with the most delicious thin crispy fried onion rings.

My entree was blackened coho salmon w/ blue cheese butter, served over onion confit and topped with... more of those crispy fried onion rings. I was a bit onion ringed out by the time the salmon dish arrived, (however redundent, but I did eat them!). I thought there were too many competing flavors in this dish that didn't really come together well for me, and my husband agreed. The salmon was a bit overcooked, and the seasoning they used for blackening was not among the better ones I've tasted. They use Old Bay seasoning, which was predominate in both the blackened salmon and the fish n fin soup that my husband ordered. In fact the restaurant likes Old Bay seasoning so much they also have it as a condiment at the table.

Dessert for 2 was Baked Alaska, and flamed with alcohol tableside. It was a huge portion, and could have fed 4 easily. It tasted pretty good, a chocolate cake bottom, blue huckleberry ice cream interior, and then toasted & alcohol laced meringue. We were so full by the time we finished that we skipped dinner that night. Service was good, too.

Thanks for that report, Blue Heron. I'm going to try to get there next week.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Okay, It's been done. I've made reservations at Barking Frog on November 23rd. I've got a table for 14 by the fireplace. Please PM before Friday the 12th with your solid commitment so I can finalize everything. At this point with everyone that has expressed an interest there is still room for more. So if you are interested PM me and we just try to make sure everyone can come.  I told them I would have a firm count by Friday. Thanks to everyone for being so patient. Looking forward to seeing everyone that appears.

What time?

What are people's general impressions of the quality of the food served on the 25 for $25 menus vs. the standard menus of the participating restaurants. I haven't been to enough of these yet to have a really informed opinion.

My experience with similar industry promotions in other cities has mostly been negative--big crowds, cut-rate ingredients, rushed preparation, and slammed waitstaff--but judging from the enthusiasm on this board I take it things work a little better here in Seattle.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

My experience with similar industry promotions in other cities has mostly been negative--big crowds, cut-rate ingredients, rushed preparation, and slammed waitstaff--but judging from the enthusiasm on this board I take it things work a little better here in Seattle.

That hasn't been my experience, but I have mostly seen menus that are less than inspired. They almost beg you to order from the regular menu.

Two exceptions are Union and Nells. Union offers the regular tasting menu for $25. Although this time around it's cut down to six courses; still an incredible value. I went to Nells last night for the first time. Here's the menu.

I had the Duck Liver Terrine with Cornichons, Whole Grain Mustard and Frisée. Absolutely wonderful. Smooth, creamy, perfectly seasoned.

Then went to Wild Mushroom Risotto with Leeks and Reggiano Parmesan. This too was nicely done.

Chocolate Brownie with Peanut Butter Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce. Not bad, but it didn't have the impact of the first two.

Others at the table had Gingerbread Cake with Pear Caramel Ice Cream and Caramel Sauce for dessert. Some weren't keen on it but I liked it because the flavors developed as you progressed into it more.

I've been meaning to get to Nells for some time now. 25 for $25 is a risky way for a restaurant to introduce itself to you, but I'm definitely planning on returning.

BTW, I had a glass of Chandler Reach ‘Corella’ Sangiovese Blend, Yakima Valley 2002 with the risotto. This is a very good wine.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I think it runs the gamut from exactly the experience you describe, to as good as the usual fare (a la Union). My biggest complaint is that the staff at some places often takes the lowest-common-denominator approach, treating everyone like dorks because, of course, the dorks come out in force for deals like this. When we went to Union as a group last year, I was mentioned to someone that I loved deals like this because it left me more cash to explore the wine list. Hans (the maitre d') overheard me and said "I wish everyone thought like you!" And then he went on to tell me about how a solid 25% of people who come in for the $25 deal order no drinks at all, just tap water. (And they have plenty of non-alcoholic options, if that was the issue.)

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

What are people's general impressions of the quality of the food served on the 25 for $25 menus vs. the standard menus of the participating restaurants.  I haven't been to enough of these yet to have a really informed opinion.

they're generally sub-par, and i've all but stopped ordering them, though 25/$25 remains a good excuse to get friends out to a decent dinner.

last night at E&O was an exception. the pork rillettes starter was masterfully done, right down to the crossed breadsticks, and the mushroom tart was a perfect second. my salmon-eating companions were very jealous.

we had a truly bizarre time with the (very overheated) wine list, though our server was quite pleasant in making it up to us.

BTW, I had a glass of Chandler Reach ‘Corella’ Sangiovese Blend, Yakima Valley 2002 with the risotto. This is a very good wine.

Corella is a wonderful wine. as masterful a Super Tuscan replica as you're likely to find for $15 retail.