• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25

It's that time again.....or is it? How come I haven't seen anything about this for November? Please don't tell me I'm working up a ridiculous appetite for nothing :shock:

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Ask and ye shall receive. :)

Oceanaire and Sazerac are new this time.

http://www.nwsource.com/advertising/restau...s/25for25_1104/

It's that time again.....or is it? How come I haven't seen anything about this for November? Please don't tell me I'm working up a ridiculous appetite for nothing  :shock:

Edited by BastilaShan (log)

I was in Seattle last year for this event and found it to be great. I had a couple of meals at Restaurant Zoe and found it to be great quality and value. Our concierge mentioned that some of the restaurants were not living up to their end of the bargain and provided less than satisfactory meals / size for the $$. He mentioned that a few of them were to be uninvited from this event the next year. Who regulates that ? Who would drop the hammer as it were.

In Vancouver, this is an event started by Tourism Vancouver and I would imagine they would oversee that for us. Who does this for 25 for $25 ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

The folks at Union have said they'll be doing a 6 (or 5?) course menu for $25 this time around.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I was in Seattle last year for this event and found it to be great. I had a couple of meals at Restaurant Zoe and found it to be great quality and value. Our concierge mentioned that some of the restaurants were not living up to their end of the bargain and provided less than satisfactory meals / size for the $$. He mentioned that a few of them were to be uninvited from this event the next year. Who regulates that ? Who would drop the hammer as it were.

In Vancouver, this is an event started by Tourism Vancouver and I would imagine they would oversee that for us. Who does this for 25 for $25 ?

We've always been more than pleased with Zoe's when we've gone. Great selection for this event, wonderful food and attentive staff. I have to say, though, doing 2-3 of these a week for four weeks got kind of tiresome and heavy, so we narrow it down to a choice three. This year, we'll do Oceanaire, as we have yet to visit them, Market Street Grill (we had such a good time last year, and you can choose any dessert you want!) and Union. I may add Etta's because of that Triple Coconut Cream Pie.

What places are all y'all hitting? And which ones have been awesome for you in the past?

Vivanda's offerings are always really lame, and I notice they're still in the line-up. They must have connections somehow.

The Georgian Room dropped out when The Four Seasons became the Fairmont, but the quality of their dinners was very high. They were very generous in their offerings and I'd be willing to bet were losing $$ on the deal (unless diners bought a lot of wine).

Three of us had dinner at Zoe a few months ago, and none of us were very impressed. It seems like comfort food done well that I could so easily make at home. I guess I should try one more time. Take one for the team. :wink:

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

[messed up use of tags]

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Last year Wild Ginger got our top vote, the portions were not skimpy and the food was great! This year we will probably try to get to Oceanaire and Zoe as we haven't been to either.

I am going to try to get my husband to Nell's too, I've been but he hasn't and it's very close to us. I'm interested in his opinion of the restaurant.

I'd love to go out to Barking Frog but it is such a day trip for this west sider!! :wink:

What places are all y'all hitting?  And which ones have been awesome for you in the past?

Union x 4 :wink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Is anyone up for an egullet table at Barking Frog?

Huh. I get sucked in by Barking Frog 25 for 25 every year or so; I guess it's about time again.

Background: We live just a couple miles away from BF. The menu is tempting; they get some pretty good reviews. I really want BF to be a favorite of mine. But every time we go there I leave disappointed. The food is generally good, not great, and the prices always feel high to me for what I'm actually getting.

Still, it's been a year or two since our last visit so if there's an eGullet gathering at BF count us in.

Is anyone up for an egullet table at Barking Frog?

Huh. I get sucked in by Barking Frog 25 for 25 every year or so; I guess it's about time again.

Background: We live just a couple miles away from BF. The menu is tempting; they get some pretty good reviews. I really want BF to be a favorite of mine. But every time we go there I leave disappointed. The food is generally good, not great, and the prices always feel high to me for what I'm actually getting.

Still, it's been a year or two since our last visit so if there's an eGullet gathering at BF count us in.

And every year I have to listen to Mr. Toast's review. :shock: If there's an event here, I'd like to tag along just to watch his disappointment develop with each course. :raz:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I'm interested in Barking Frog depending on date:

Ditto. I'd love to actually meet folks.

Mr. and Mrs. Toast

Really Nice

Matsutakekichigai

Sparrowsfall

Eden

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I'm interested in Barking Frog depending on date:

Ditto. I'd love to actually meet folks.

Mr. and Mrs. Toast

Really Nice

Matsutakekichigai

Sparrowsfall

Eden

I rarely travel to the eastside (do I need to bring my passport?) but it looks like enough "westsiders" are going that we can carpool - so I'd be willing to give it a try :biggrin:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I'm interested, but am out of town off and on in November, so I'll see what dates come up and hopefully can fit it in.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

This week would work for me too.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Barking Frog: would a date this week be too short notice? This is the only week this month that I don't already have at least two dinners scheduled on weeknights. FTM and I could attend any evening this week.

Hmm, I guess this week is out. My next choices are Tuesday or Wednesday, November 16th or 17th. Tuesday of Thanksgiving week would be OK for me, too.

Any takers?